Verizon, Google collaborating on Android-powered iPad competitor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

If they take Paul Thurrott's advice and make the overall dimensions 16:9 i'll laugh my azz off.

And if they don't make it 16:9 I'll laugh my ass off.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Not really. Similar hardware to what is found in the iPad along with a copy of Android. It might not be innovative or imaginative but it would provide strong competitor to the iPad.

Exactly...just like Windows OS or RIM BB it just has to be a poor copy and cheap and it will sell! MS, Google, and RIM are ripping off Apple and becoming the 'knock-off' con-artists they most abhor for taking their own IP!

See my post above!
  • Reply 23 of 86
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    <insert product>, another iPad killer?
  • Reply 24 of 86
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

You mean the features that have caused it to be a sales flop?

/sarcasm

That is a false dichotomy.

The iPad is missing several features, including Flash, including video conferencing, including full-featured multi-tasking, including AMOLED screen, including higher-resolution screen, including running ABC shows over 3g.
  • Reply 25 of 86
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    Can't wait to hear GOOG's explanation as to why this open source device is locked down to VZ only service. And which company is going to provide email only support?
  • Reply 26 of 86
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The iPad is missing several features, including Flash, including video conferencing, including full-featured multi-tasking, including AMOLED screen, including higher-resolution screen, including running ABC shows over 3g.

Wow - all those things?

I had no idea that the iPad was so limited, why hasn't anyone pointed this out before?

EDIT: - what about those million or so people that have bought an iPad, do they know how 'ham-strung' it is?
  • Reply 27 of 86
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I love how Apple can still completely surprise the industry in this day and [information] age. I mean, even my mother knew Apple was working on a tablet but nobody knew what it was going to be or do. They still had to wait to see the iPad to know what to make to compete with it.

Here, they seem to be admitting that it will take two of the biggest companies in the industry working together (with Apple's blueprint to boot) to come up with something.

But the funny thing is that they'll STILL mess it up. They're already talking about what features they can add.

I guess they never go the message that it's not about how many features you can add, it's about usability - and sometimes more features get in the way. (not to mention adding weight and cost, and reducing battery life).

Quote:

You forgot:

- at least 3 USB ports, no, make it 4

- SD card reader

- CF card reader

- ExpressCard slot

- eSata port

-SCSI port

- Parallel port

- Serial port

- Modem

- ADB port

- Make sure you have at least 4 cameras - one for landscape and one for portrait orientation facing in each direction

- HDMI port

- Optical audio port

- At least 10 hour battery (even if the device has to weigh 20 pounds)

- 16:9 screen, at least 15"

- WIndows 7 Ultimate, preferably the server version

And probably a few I've forgotten. If you add all of that, it will be sure to be a hit - none of the Apple bashers can possibly complain about missing features.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

490 posts in this forum (as of the time of writing) and you still have no clue, do you?

Amazing. I guess it takes all types.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

You mean the features that have caused it to be a sales flop?

/sarcasm

Of course not. But Google will want to up the ante and respond to the whiners.
  • Reply 30 of 86
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

Quote:

Wow - all those things?

I had no idea that the iPad was so limited, why hasn't anyone pointed this out before?

Don't worry, Ballmer showed us that amazing HP Slate that has *everything* g3pro wants. Since it was unveiled before the iPad I'm sure it will be out any day now and sell bajillions!

Apple is

(wait for it)

doomed! TM
  • Reply 31 of 86
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Not really. Similar hardware to what is found in the iPad along with a copy of Android. It might not be innovative or imaginative but it would provide strong competitor to the iPad.

It would be good if there would be viable competition for the iPad and other products of Apple. Competition will force Apple to be vigilant and keep on innovating. I may even get some features or much improved Apps sooner. It may even drive the proce down, a bit.

It would be very boring though if the competitors would simply copy the iPad in design and features.

Why not come up with something original also?

For example, the "cancelled" Courier (?) design by Microsoft would be uniquely different from the iPad. Before the current iPad came out actually, someone proposed a similar clamshell design. Although, from a technical point of view, it is likely that the middle would be a weak point, just like those of books, folders, etc.

CGC
  • Reply 32 of 86
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    If anyone thinks Apple's going to release the iPhone on Verizon now you might want to place a new bet against that thinking.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

if anyone thinks apple's going to release the iphone on verizon now you might want to place a new bet against that thinking.

good logic !! Truer words never spoken
  • Reply 34 of 86
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If anyone thinks Apple's going to release the iPhone on Verizon now you might want to place a new bet against that thinking.

I do not know when but eventually it is good strategy for Apple to release an iPhone for Verizon, especially after it has "saturated" the key target GSM (???) carriers worldwide.

For one, Apple cannot cede such a huge market in the US. The main concern should be whether such forking would not also fragment the iTune and more specially the Apps. I do not know the engineering that differentiates the communication systems, but if the iPhone OS can work with the system for Verizon, then creating an iPhone, and even iPad for Verizon should not be an issue.

In fact. I would be very interested to witness a head-to-head competition between RIMM, iPhone OS and Android within Verizon, and other carriers.

Note that Apple is also still in talk with the other carriers in China. It is unlikely that the main telecome in China would change its "communication system" (a modified version of CDMA??? modified specifically for China) just to accommodate the existing iPhone.

If you look at the history of Apple, it is not always the case that Steve Jobs will make a business decision simply because he was slighted. If memory serves me, Steve Jobs also had issues with Intel because he was snobbed or something by Intel when Steve Jobs sought Intel's help. And yet, Steve Jobs eventually embraced Intel when IBM/Motorola overpriced the chips and I think they could not develop fast enough to suit SJs standards.

Similarly, Steve Jobs is not a fan of anything Microsoft, and yet Apple/SJ realized that the OS of Wintel PCs is the predominant OS worldwide -- the outcome, iTunes that work in Wintel PCs. Also, while the work was initiated outside of Apple, Apple allows the Wintel OS to work within a Mac.

I like to think that Apple and Steve Jobs do not let their bias or past hurts to rule their decision making.

CGC
  • Reply 35 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Exactly...just like Windows OS or RIM BB it just has to be a poor copy and cheap and it will sell! MS, Google, and RIM are ripping off Apple and becoming the 'knock-off' con-artists they most abhor for taking their own IP!

See my post above!

This reply has nothing to do with your post. Just thought you should know that the "]" after html5 in your signature link to youtube screws up the link.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Verizon Wireless CEO to clarify (Verizon's "chief" CEO is Ivan Seidenberg)

Check out my own prediction!

If someone would come up with a tablet that can do half as much as a netbook you might be right.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    spicedspiced Posts: 98member
    [QUOTE=christopher126;1630496]Google/verizon will release a 'Free' (2yr contract) iPad 3g clone. It will be crap but sell millions!

Why not all the big smoking guns (Dell, Palm, HP, Sony, Nokia, Symbian, Nintendo and on and on!) join arms and legs to create this mutant gPoogle pDevice/Endriod OS. If they are any smarter! Sharks! How bad these guys can be when they are not even announcing a game changing iPoogle or pDevice to compete......
  • Reply 38 of 86
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

We can almost guarantee the VerOogle pad will include features everyone complained were missing in the iPad, right?

Video conferencing, possibly camera.... what else?

Flash..?

I know number of people - basically most ladies between 20 and 40 I know - who would like to play darn Facebook games on tablet (well away from computer in any case).

I would like Flash for other reasons - it just happened couple of sites I'm frequenting recently are useless without Flash support.

I would also like DivX playback...
  • Reply 39 of 86
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Verizon and Google have Apple envy, bigtime.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Is Apple the gold standard now? I bet Verizon regrets passing on the iPhone.

Worse mistake than Boston trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees.