Verizon, Google collaborating on Android-powered iPad competitor

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    If other Verizon directed software is any indication, it will end up disorganized, frustrating, and almost guaranteed not to work with a Mac.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

You mean the features that have caused it to be a sales flop?

/sarcasm

all those crucial features that make it worthless without them
  • Reply 43 of 86
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

"We're working on tablets together, for example. We're looking at all the things Google has in its archives that we could put on a tablet to make it a great experience."

Translation: We have nothing right now and we have no idea how to develop a competing tablet. So we hope to copy and paste from here and there just to have someone to show.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This post says it all.

We will deconstruct this phenomenon for years to come....... I don't think it (iPad+iPhone+iPod) can be matched -- even by Apple -- in the future.

All 3 of those have the same dated broken OS that would be a joke in 2000. And I don't see a "phenomenon" here, it's just the Wizard of Oz (Steve) serving up the "magical" juice.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    koheletkohelet Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Well this should put to rest any ideas of a Verison iPhone now, right?

Well that does it, I'm switching to AT&T in August
  • Reply 46 of 86
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    You mean copy the iPad like they copied the iPhone....they are like Japanese car manufacturers they cannot come up with their own original products so they simply copy someone else's
  • Reply 47 of 86
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I do not know when but eventually it is good strategy for Apple to release an iPhone for Verizon, especially after it has "saturated" the key target GSM (???) carriers worldwide.

For one, Apple cannot cede such a huge market in the US. The main concern should be whether such forking would not also fragment the iTune and more specially the Apps. I do not know the engineering that differentiates the communication systems, but if the iPhone OS can work with the system for Verizon, then creating an iPhone, and even iPad for Verizon should not be an issue.

In fact. I would be very interested to witness a head-to-head competition between RIMM, iPhone OS and Android within Verizon, and other carriers.

Ever seen a Toyota Prius vs. a Porsche 99 Turbo? Same results. The Toyota will eventually get you there, kinda... while the guy in 911 has already met the ladies and had a few cocktails in the lounge. Verizon didn't want to work with Apple, then got spanked by the iPhone and AT&T. Now they are slumming it with Poodle trying to catch up, and claiming they are savvy. They are the el cheapo cell phone service, that segment is never a good fit for Apple. Their biggest problem seems to be that there seem are much smarter people working at AT&T, and willing to put in the work and take a risk. Their corporate culture is younger than AT&T, you'd think they would be the dinosaur. AT&T is clearly making the bolder moves, which is clearly working pretty damn well with Apple.

Quote:

Note that Apple is also still in talk with the other carriers in China. It is unlikely that the main telecome in China would change its "communication system" (a modified version of CDMA??? modified specifically for China) just to accommodate the existing iPhone.

CDMA is the floppy drive of the cell phone world. I'm sure as China's providers upgrade and roll out new services, there will be iPhones like manna from the skies.

Quote:

If you look at the history of Apple, it is not always the case that Steve Jobs will make a business decision simply because he was slighted. If memory serves me, Steve Jobs also had issues with Intel because he was snobbed or something by Intel when Steve Jobs sought Intel's help. And yet, Steve Jobs eventually embraced Intel when IBM/Motorola overpriced the chips and I think they could not develop fast enough to suit SJs standards.

Memory does not serve you. Jobs has always been chummy with Intel, they pursued Apple for years. Apple was already stuck with Motorola when Jobs came back. OS X for Intel was maintained as project 'Start Trek' since the beginning of OS X development. From all perspectives Jobs kept Apple's options open, and jumped ship only after Motorola began to falter and couldn't get faster chips happening. You're trying to turn that into something it wasn't, in order support your psycho-analysis of Jobs. I think you're probably dead wrong about the rest too.

Quote:

I like to think that Apple and Steve Jobs do not let their bias or past hurts to rule their decision making.

I think the reality is that Apple and Jobs let their bias make very good decisions.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

You mean copy the iPad like they copied the iPhone....they are like Japanese car manufacturers they cannot come up with their own original products so they simply copy someone else's

I don't think that is the same. Back in the 70's and 80's, the Japanese truly did make a better car. The American cars were heavy lead-sleds, got horrible gas mileage, and the quality was second-rate. The japanese came in and did (imho) innovate and improved.

The Apple/Google scenario is actually backwards. Apple is the one creating and innovating. They make high-quality products and they are fanatical, almost to the point of clinical, about the user-experience.

Then you have the makers that implement Android. See, they can't figure out what the market wants so they wait for the real innovator (Apple) to do all the work for them, wait on the sidelines, and if Apple's product works, they simply fire-up the copy machines and try to shoe-horn a cheap, knockoff in a 6-12 month window and hope they can simply last long enough to make some money and wait again for Apple's next game-changer. Rinse, repeat.

The truly sad part is that the makers of these products compete with so many other similar folks that in time, they will fragment themselves out of existence. The "open" ecosystem will end up being one of the garbage mountains of Manila. But hey, the Android folks will still be able to use their SSH on them.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And if they don't make it 16:9 I'll laugh my ass off.

So you think they made it 4/3 for no specific reasons? Like...ergonomics?

I got a 16/9 Archos 9 Win7 tablet on my desk for tests. You'll love it: 4 minutes boot, awkward 16/9 (because of the form factor but also because of the display ratio of the softs) and a so bloody sloooow Atom running Win7. Yummy, you'll love it.

iPad:very fast, great UI, light, enormous battery life.
  • Reply 50 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ultranote View Post

So you think they made it 4/3 for no specific reasons? Like...ergonomics?

I got a 16/9 Archos 9 Win7 tablet on my desk for tests. You'll love it: 4 minutes boot, awkward 16/9 (because of the form factor but also because of the display ratio of the softs) and a so bloody sloooow Atom running Win7. Yummy, you'll love it.

iPad:very fast, great UI, light, enormous battery life.

Quite the opposite. I'll laugh because many tablets were showcased at CES with 16:9 ratio and many stated that Apple's iPad would fail because of the 4:3 ratio usage when it was clearly chosen for very practical reasons, not because it's the "in thing".

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against 16:9. It's great for larger displays where vertical space isn't an issue, like desktop displays. For notebooks I would't want the 13" or 15" MBPs to go any wider than 16:10; I think 17" wouldn't be about the minimum for 16:9. For 12" and smaller 4:3 (or 3:2) is the way to go. In fact, I have been an advocate for that ratio since the 12" PowerBook went away and used it as a reason why a 12" MacBook would be less than ideal with a widescreen display.

PS: If you really want to see a tablet that is close in size to the iPad and is a complete failure, even worse than Archos on many levels, check out the JooJoo review on Engadget.

PPS: Welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by birdistheword View Post

All 3 of those have the same dated broken OS that would be a joke in 2000. And I don't see a "phenomenon" here, it's just the Wizard of Oz (Steve) serving up the "magical" juice.

Broken because you won't plug a fibre channel PCI-E card in these? or even a scanner?

There's a deep misunderstanding between what some IT guys see as the ideal machine and what most people need.

The appeal here is to have an optimised OS built from the ground up for multitouch portable devices, instant-on, **speed**, no maintenance and an inspiring UI. So scary for IT support jobs

Not a desktop OS squeezed down (and slowed in the process), bloated by legacy features.

But then many of the same guys will support a Google tablet (maybe) running Chrome OS, "so open" with its web-only apps.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    >Quite the opposite. I'll laugh because many tablets were showcased at CES with 16:9 ratio and many stated that Apple's iPad >would fail because of the 4:3 ratio usage when it was clearly chosen for very practical reasons, not because if's the "in >thing".

we agree !

>PS: If you really want to see a tablet that is close in size to the iPad and is a complete failure, even worse than Archos on >many levels, check out the JooJoo review on Engadget.

Joojoo: such a naive endeavour...
  • Reply 53 of 86
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I love how Apple can still completely surprise the industry in this day and [information] age. I mean, even my mother knew Apple was working on a tablet but nobody knew what it was going to be or do. They still had to wait to see the iPad to know what to make to compete with it.

Here, they seem to be admitting that it will take two of the biggest companies in the industry working together (with Apple's blueprint to boot) to come up with something.

I suppose this either makes people love Apple or hate Apple...

Well, the SADDEST thing is that the iPad was announced in JANUARY... It's almost JUNE and only now these assclowns are saying, "Oh, we're working on something... yeah...watch out Apple!11!!"

Good bl**dy luck to them.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiced View Post

Why not all the big smoking guns (Dell, Palm, HP, Sony, Nokia, Symbian, Nintendo and on and on!) join arms and legs to create this mutant gPoogle pDevice/Endriod OS. If they are any smarter! Sharks! How bad these guys can be when they are not even announcing a game changing iPoogle or pDevice to compete......

Bingo! They're not even bothered. Dell, Palm, HP, Acer, Asus, Sony, Nokia, Nintendo, -- all of them have not even bothered to announce even vapourware... You might think they're secretly working on *something*, but geez, it's already the middle of 2010.
  • Reply 55 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Verizon and Google have Apple envy, bigtime.

The BEST part in this whole fiasco is that even with Google's reach, involving Verizon means.... wait or it.... you're pretty much limiting your product to the US. That means you're only getting 30% or so of potential sales if you went fully worldwide. As much as the US is the centre of the world in some ways, it sometimes just isn't.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So long as Verizon keeps its mouth shut and stays out of the way, this could just catch on!

</sarcasm>

True. Will have to wait and see. Haven't seen the latest phone but they say it's great and for a pad, I wouldn't laugh Google out just yet, especially since they have their pro google apps now. Just saying.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by birdistheword View Post

Must be nice contributing absolutely ZERO to this thread little Troll. Please cancel your AI account and go back under your bridge little troll.

Mods??? You have your troll-swatter handy for this guy??
  • Reply 58 of 86
    NEW iPhone 4G / iPhone HD leaked

http://www.macrumors.com/

LEAKED... Expect an article on AppleInsider very soon, I suppose.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's certainly a sad state of affairs that after all this time, the rest of the industry has now delegated themselves to the bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of innovation. They have to do minimal R&D work now since they essentially wait for what Apple comes out with and then get the copy machines fired-up.

Of course, there will be those folks that will say that Apple was not the first to create a tablet. However, I think everyone can agree that Apple for the most part got it right, and on their first attempt too!

I find it interesting that all the talk of a tablet "needing a proper OS" has, largely, dissipated.

I guess "they" were wrong and Apple was right-- iPhone OS is a proper os for a tablet.

• Reply 60 of 86
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

oooo dont forget the built in USB port and SD card reader.

It is actually quite a sad day because all google is going to do now is release some iPad clone that is not quite as good in any areas, BUT is a lot cheaper.

VerGoogle* may want to do that but they may not be able to do it for a good long while.

* sounds like the German children's song: kommt ein vogel geflogen

Consider this: the iPad is supply-constrained! What does that mean? Shortage of key parts? Shortage of manufacturing lines?

AIR, the pixelQ people said a major barrier in getting their screens into production (large enough to get an affordable price) was that there were only a few multi-billion production lines in existence and these were scheduled 13 months in advance.

If Apple is savvy, they have options for "first pick" with suppliers of key parts and production lines.

That's one way Tim Cook earns his salary/options!