New iPhone 4 prototype spotted in Vietnam

Comments

• Reply 21 of 182
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Hmm... I still suspect it might be a prototype case built for testing purposes. I am especially suspicious of the horrid seams. I think the final case will be without these, and may have a single piece all-aluminum back.
  • Reply 22 of 182
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    The iPad gets 10 hours (9 with 3G). Can't wait to see the battery life on the new iPhone with the same chip.

I love the new design.
  • Reply 23 of 182
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    I'm starting to get the feeling that everyone has a 4G iPhone except me.
  • Reply 24 of 182
    I expect that he'll be getting a visit from Mr. Slugworth.
  • Reply 25 of 182
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    So, is the new iPhone going to be offered in 16/32/64GB variants or will it be 16/32GB with an 8GB 3G(S) at the bottom of the pile?
  • Reply 26 of 182
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

The iPad gets 10 hours (9 with 3G). Can't wait to see the battery life on the new iPhone with the same chip.

Don't forget the battery is only a fraction of the size of the iPad's...
  • Reply 27 of 182
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New pictures of Apple's next-generation iPhone have leaked, this time showing a newer and more refined prototype model than the one obtained by Gizmodo last month.

The new model also lacks the obvious screws visible in the Gizmodo photographs on either side of the Dock Connector,

What was this about the Gizmodo example being what we're going to see? Not a huge change, but a change nonetheless. The general shape is probably what we're going to get, it looks like some details may still be different. The dock slot on the new one in Vietnam still has some jaggies indicating uneven manual filing, so maybe there's some hope of other refinement yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

hmmm. While I enjoy looking at these photos, I can't help to think about the nature of the articles AI posted regarding Gizmodo episode. It strikes me as a little hypocritical to now be eagerly posting these photos. I guess it wasn't so much that Gizmodo revealed trade secrets as it was that they got caught or paid for the phone.

The trade secrets were problematic, but that's out of the bag now. I think the bigger problem was more or less admitting having paid for an allegedly stolen device (we don't know on the outside yet, but Gizmodo's story does have significant holes in it). The amount supposedly paid was also enough to trip the felony trigger.
  • Reply 28 of 182
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

So, is the new iPhone going to be offered in 16/32/64GB variants or will it be 16/32GB with an 8GB 3G(S) at the bottom of the pile?

It could go either way, but unless they remove features, this new design is probably going to cost Apple more than putting a 3GS at the bottom rung.
  • Reply 29 of 182
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    The new design has grown on me. Looking at it next to a 3GS makes the latter seem fat and bloated. I only hope that they get rid of the seams and that the rear case is made of some sort of ceramics and not glass.
  • Reply 30 of 182
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    How long until someone blames Gizmodo for this one? They seem to be the new catchall anti-Apple boogeyman.

Damn, I can't wait for this to go on sale. Hopefully these people buying them in back alleys aren't being used for market research to determine the price.
  • Reply 31 of 182
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Yeah, the first thing I thought is why don't they show the Iphone in operation at all... just a static screen (doesn't even seem to show any indicators when he presses the buttons, though the phone is mostly on its side when he does so making is hard to see)

Tried to read the text on the bottom - looks like:

Start Time: Run Bonfire!

Test: Run Bonfire!

Duration: 0

Action Run Bonfire!

Battery: 1%

a MAC address followed by the word root and perhaps 1of147

I like the design, and don't mind the joints - perhaps it's indicative of a battery easily replaceable at a Genius Bar or AT&T?
  • Reply 32 of 182
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    If this is actually the new phone we'll have to wait and see but, to me, it looks much more robust than previous phones (not that the older phones weren't strong enough). Case, buttons... everything looks more solid.
  • Reply 33 of 182
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member
    4G is thinner, but I wouldn't mind if it got fatter as long as they get rid of the black part above and below the screen. I think that's total waste of space, the whole front part should just be a screen.
  • Reply 34 of 182
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    I guess Steve will have his raiding crew on a flight this morning to shake down this guy and haul him to court too! :-) I wonder how he gets his thumbscrews past TSA?

Now relax everyone that was just a little Wednesday morning humor! :-)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New pictures of Apple's next-generation iPhone have leaked, this time showing a newer and more refined prototype model than the one obtained by Gizmodo last month.

• Reply 35 of 182
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    So would I be correct in saying that this is the hands-on video that Gizmodo should have taken? In glorious high res with intimate handling. All from some Vietnamese guy. Jason Chen, eat your heart out.
  • Reply 36 of 182
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Looking forward to upgrading my 3G.

Me too. I skipped the 3GS, and apps are a tad slow on the 3G these days...
  • Reply 37 of 182
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    Looking forward to my first iPhone.. The design is sweet!
  • Reply 38 of 182
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Me too. I skipped the 3GS, and apps are a tad slow on the 3G these days...

I'm not interested at all until I see how easy a jailbreak is. My 3G is easy to jailbreak, and I'd consider it almost unusable without it.

Honestly, with the attitude I keep seeing out of Apple these days, if they come out with good CalDAV support for Android, I may not be buying another iPhone at all.

I don't like the design of this thing nearly as much as the 3G, it looks like it would be uncomfortable to hold.
  • Reply 39 of 182
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    People keep talking about a higher res screen for this new version, but there are a couple of things which don't really fit IMO.

First one: which size?

Currently every iDevice except the iPad has a 480:320 screen res. Hence the 200k+ apps in the app store are designed for it. So if they put in a new screen res, those 200k+ apps will look awful on the new iPhone, UNLESS, it is an exact multiple of the old resolution, like 960:640. It looks like as the 4G has an A4 in it, so there should be no problem handling this resolution, however, it looks like overkill to me, as it would be a 320+dpi res screen. I believe most printing is done in 300 dpi resolution, so this just sounds crazy to me.

Furthermore, if we consider just for a moment that they would use something like 720:480, and people start developing apps for this screen res, all the iPods and iPhones up till the 3rd generation will be left behind. I agree, that at some point they will probably have to do so. But what about the iPad? With this kind of resolution, the iPad x2 function is useless. Hence those apps would look really weird on the iPad screen, with a nice big black bezel. There would still be a bezel with the 960:640 res, but i guess it would be better.

Costs of the new device?

With all the new features, better cam, better proc, front cam, alu design etc. the costs of the 4G will be higher, so in order to be able to sell the phone at the same price as before, with the same margins as when the 3GS was introduced, I just can't see them putting in a really high res screen this year. My guess is this could be an update option for next year.

The 2x feature in the iPad os

I don't think that they developed this feature for iPad only, but that they had a change in the screen res of the iPhone in mind, so that they would be able to smoothly change the res, without making the existing iPhone/iPod Touch apps look weird.

Bottom line I think that if we see a screen res change, it will be to a resolution of 960:480, but I don't think that we will see it this year, more likely next year.

Any thoughts on that ?
  • Reply 40 of 182
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    Wait wait wait. Wait: The Bee-Gee's are big in Vietnam?