New iPhone 4 prototype spotted in Vietnam

Comments

• Reply 61 of 182
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

To think that this sort of activity can be put to rest in today's globalized supply chain, globalized market base and globalized media is sheer lunacy. As you say, it will simply migrate to outside the US.

Moreover, Apple will have to live with the fact that it is a celebrity company, with a celebrity CEO and celebrity products. As with others of that species -- the question is not whether it is right or wrong -- they are going to get stalked/scooped/paparazzi'd/rumored on. That's the nature of the beast.

(After all, let's be honest with ourselves, the reason for its existence is us).

There is a sort a of Bieber-fever feel to it sometimes. You can almost picture the same frenzied, weeping, irrational mania from some people. Can get a little creepy sometimes.

But knowing this doesn't keep me from seeking these tidbits of information.
  • Reply 62 of 182
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I might be in the minority who don't like it...it might grow on me... but so far it hasn't....

I liked how the tapered edges complemented the vertical and horizontal lines on the front with some curvyness. Now i'ts just a tad too boxy.

Very ugly ad boxy. Like a 1970's econobox car
  • Reply 63 of 182
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

snip... I use the Tomtom GPS app all the time...Also, instead of listening to the radio, I stream podcasts and listen to that while driving...

Please tell me more because I'll be getting a new iPhone soon and will not be buying a car nav system if I can get good service on an iPhone/iPad. TomTom recently released 1.3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpPu1MdfTe8

I'm in Japan. Are there maps for Japan? Do you just pay $59.00 for the app and you're done or is that per year? There are YT videos saying that TomTom is super slow. What do you think?

Have you tried others like these?

http://www.engadget.com/tag/MobileNavigator/

EDIT: Unfortunately none of these have maps for Japan.

• Reply 64 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

This next iphone is gonna be a beast. I really hope Jobs can see what Adobe has done with flash for Android and reconsider his stance. If this new iphone has an A4 processor, it means it's running at 1Ghz right? That meets the 800mhz minimum Adobe has said is needed for flash mobile! I know this goes against the religion around here, but I think iPhone OS will support Flash someday and after it does, Jobs will justify his change of heart by saying he did it only because it's better than everyone else lol.

You're kidding, right? Have you read the "Thoughts on Flash" article on apple.com? I don't think so...I still wonder about this device, since not once have I seen video of it actually running an iPhone OS...I guess we'll see in June...
  • Reply 65 of 182
    mike11mike11 Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Currently every iDevice except the iPad has a 480:320 screen res. Hence the 200k+ apps in the app store are designed for it. So if they put in a new screen res, those 200k+ apps will look awful on the new iPhone, UNLESS, it is an exact multiple of the old resolution, like 960:640. It looks like as the 4G has an A4 in it, so there should be no problem handling this resolution, however, it looks like overkill to me, as it would be a 320+dpi res screen. I believe most printing is done in 300 dpi resolution, so this just sounds crazy to me.

Furthermore, if we consider just for a moment that they would use something like 720:480, and people start developing apps for this screen res, all the iPods and iPhones up till the 3rd generation will be left behind. I agree, that at some point they will probably have to do so. But what about the iPad? With this kind of resolution, the iPad x2 function is useless. Hence those apps would look really weird on the iPad screen, with a nice big black bezel. There would still be a bezel with the 960:640 res, but i guess it would be better.

Costs of the new device?

With all the new features, better cam, better proc, front cam, alu design etc. the costs of the 4G will be higher, so in order to be able to sell the phone at the same price as before, with the same margins as when the 3GS was introduced, I just can't see them putting in a really high res screen this year. My guess is this could be an update option for next year.

The 2x feature in the iPad os

I don't think that they developed this feature for iPad only, but that they had a change in the screen res of the iPhone in mind, so that they would be able to smoothly change the res, without making the existing iPhone/iPod Touch apps look weird.

Bottom line I think that if we see a screen res change, it will be to a resolution of 960:480, but I don't think that we will see it this year, more likely next year.

Around 300 ppi is actually not that uncommon as you seem to think. In the western world they are around since at least early 2007 in smartphones (Toshiba Portege G900, 313 ppi). Most known examples would be HTC's Touch Diamond, Diamand 2, Touch Pro (all around 290 ppi) and most recently the Sony Ericsson X1 (312 ppi).

So I don't see a technical or financial problem with a 960x640 screen in all 4th-gen iPhones or at least in the high-end SKU (64GB/80GB). And it's the only resolution that makes sense given the pixel doubling (anything else would had to be announced or supported in the OS 4.0 beta SDK) and the iPad's 2x modus (remember how you read everywhere how pixelated and ugly 2x iPhone apps on the iPad are? Problem solved!)

Quote:

My guess is that they kept the 3G because it was the same enclosure, so only a couple of internal parts changed. I think this years line up will be iPhone HD only in 3 different versions: 16, 32 and 64 GB, as I don't think that they will keep production lines for the 3G(S) model around any longer.

I really hope you're right. Apple needs to really push the iPhone OS and devices forward, and they already extended the lifetime of the slower iPhone/3G hardware with it's 128MB RAM and ARM11/MBX lite by one year (and thus the need for developers to support it longer than necessary).

But I also really hope that Apple doesn't start to cut other features in the cheapest model, at least when all models look the same and share the same name (iPhone HD). This would only further fragmentation, which is a very bad thing.
  • Reply 66 of 182
    ptfernptfern Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

4G is thinner, but I wouldn't mind if it got fatter as long as they get rid of the black part above and below the screen. I think that's total waste of space, the whole front part should just be a screen.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Why not use that space? I would think they would surely bump the screen size a bit. That's my only gripe with it, not using some of the extra real estate for a larger screen. Come on Apple get with the program. The rest of the design is slowly growing on me. It's just that there are some real nice phones out there that are really looking good with larger screens that look very modern. This just looks a little too bla to me.

I'll wait till I actually hold and see it with my own eyes.
  • Reply 67 of 182
    ridikulasridikulas Posts: 15member
    What really strikes me about the new design is the ultimate symmetry. If you set the phone on a table and were looking at it from the bottom, it would look like the top and bottom surfaces are the same. The flat back plastic of the iphone is the same color and thickness as the top glass unlike the 3g where the curved back is much different than the top glass. There is something very timeless and beautiful about this new phone.

This is easily going to be the best selling iPhone ever. Think about all the people who waited to buy 3g. Now we're all due for an upgrade. Also, this new phone looks more business, so I expect sales to skyrocket for businesspeople who want to use iPhone.
  • Reply 68 of 182
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:

This next iphone is gonna be a beast. I really hope Jobs can see what Adobe has done with flash for Android and reconsider his stance. If this new iphone has an A4 processor, it means it's running at 1Ghz right? That meets the 800mhz minimum Adobe has said is needed for flash mobile! I know this goes against the religion around here, but I think iPhone OS will support Flash someday and after it does, Jobs will justify his change of heart by saying he did it only because it's better than everyone else lol.

You can be sure that Apple will clock it at 799MHz so it does not meet the needed specifications.

Could also be for battery life!
  • Reply 69 of 182
    I heard it shoots 720p?

http://www.itouchpad.com/
  • Reply 70 of 182
    jaketherockjaketherock Posts: 286member
    My theory?

This showed up in Vietnam. Apple has been producing all of its products overseas for a decade or so. Is it possible that this is, instead of an internal leak, a worker stealing it off of an assembly line?

It looks like a full production model, judging from the fact that it actually has the capacity listed, instead of the XX GB that we saw on the prototypes....
  • Reply 71 of 182
    jpmukjpmuk Posts: 19member
    Computing power.

Does anyone know where I can find any comparison of how an Apple A4 compares to a G3 or a G4?
  • Reply 72 of 182
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

To think that this sort of activity can be put to rest in today's globalized supply chain, globalized market base and globalized media is sheer lunacy. As you say, it will simply migrate to outside the US.

Moreover, Apple will have to live with the fact that it is a celebrity company, with a celebrity CEO and celebrity products. As with others of that species -- the question is not whether it is right or wrong -- they are going to get stalked/scooped/paparazzi'd/rumored on. That's the nature of the beast.

(After all, let's be honest with ourselves, the reason for its existence is us).

And it's not like Apple hasn't actively cultivated this type of celebrity status and attention. It generally serves them very well. And really, this Gizmodo thing could have served them well, if they hadn't sent in the stormtroopers. they need to keep their secret police tactics firmly contained *within* the company. Outside of the company, they should be all sunshine and rainbows, to the greatest extent possible.
  • Reply 73 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

For the love of God someone get that guy some nail clippers!

That is nothing. Long nails are a status symbol.
  • Reply 74 of 182
    I would be surprised (or disappointed) if Apple did not offer a 64GB version of the iPhone HD. Similar to another poster above, I've been readying my iPod Touch 32GB for quite some time for the migration to iPhone, and I've been drooling over the notion of double the space.

Over 20 years ago, someone very smart told me, "No matter how big your hard drive is, you'll fill it up eventually." I still remember when $1/MB was cheap for a 1 gig drive. And the guy who had it was the coolest computer nerd on the block.
  • Reply 75 of 182
    There were 2 suicides in Shenzhen China at Foxconn within one week of one another, Apple's long time manufacturer. Since this appeared to have been lost in Asia, I wonder if there is a connection.

Last summer, another suicide occurred at Foxconn. Supposedly, the young man had stolen an iPhone prototype then too.
  • Reply 76 of 182
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

...Not so sure about the new design though, does honestly have a lot design similarities with the Nokia N78, N81, N85 etc the bezel on the sides i mean.

More like superficially similar in appearance than similar in actual design.

Product design is only partially about what it looks like in a picture or to the eye. The crux of the "design" is tied up with the form/function connection.

So while both phones have a grey coloured middle bit, two black slabs on either side and some buttons around the middle, they are actually quite far apart as designs. Everything that makes the new Apple iPhone design special (and IMO fabulous), is missing from the Nokia phones. The materials are completely different, the basic construction is completely different, the way the pieces are put together is different, the size and operation is different etc., etc.
  • Reply 77 of 182
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Have you seen Flash on Android? I've seen it crash on a tablet device last week and there are reports from this past weekend that Adobe showed it off again only to have it crash twice while loading ecodozoo.

BTW Hulu is blocking smartphones now because they want push a subscription service on smartphones and tablets.
  • Reply 78 of 182
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Please tell me more because I'll be getting a new iPhone soon and will not be buying a car nav system if I can get good service on an iPhone/iPad. TomTom recently released 1.3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpPu1MdfTe8

I'm in Japan. Are there maps for Japan? Do you just pay $59.00 for the app and you're done or is that per year? There are YT videos saying that TomTom is super slow. What do you think?

Have you tried others like these?

http://www.engadget.com/tag/MobileNavigator/

Thanks

Hey,

I'm jealous that you're living in Japan! You'll have to check the App store and see if it's available there....

I've been VERY happy with Tomtom.... I think the biggest criticism is the price, it's one of the more expensive options...in the States I think the current price is like $50-60.... It's a one time expense, so far they've been adding updates for free...

For an additonal $20 per year (in the states) You can buy the live traffic updates... I've also found that to be very useful...The app has re-routed me to find the fastest route a number of times...It was very accurate....

What I've also really loved is the Tomtom car kit http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products...it-for-iPhone/ The handsfree speaker built in I found to be poor (picked up too much ambient noise) so I don't use that. The kit boosts the GPS signal so the app works much better in large cities. It also charges your phone and is a great way to play music over your car's speakers (you need to find an audio cable, they DON'T include one with the kit). One major criticism with the kit is that your phone WON'T fit into the craddle with a phone case around it. I use a rubber sleave (PixelSkin http://www.speckproducts.com/product...iphone-3gs/143 ) so it's easy enough to pop in and out...That's been the major complaint though....

In terms of claims that it's slow, that doesn't make sense to me.... The way it works is that it downloads all maps of the area to your phone...that makes the app very large (I think it was around 2 GB for me) The advantage is that the GPS will work even if you have no internet connection....The only other GPS App I tried was Maquest. That pulled all data from the web...I found it much less accurate and when I lost 3G signal and got off route, the app was totally useless....The other very popular GPS app for the iPhone is Navigon. That also has lots of good reviews. Personally I haven't tried it out though.
  • Reply 79 of 182
    Quote:

My guess is that they kept the 3G because it was the same enclosure, so only a couple of internal parts changed. I think this years line up will be iPhone HD only in 3 different versions: 16, 32 and 64 GB, as I don't think that they will keep production lines for the 3G(S) model around any longer.

Here's my guess:

16G 3GS - $49.99

16G 3HD - $99.99

32G 3HD - $199.00

64G 3HD - $299.99

I think Apple will make a new pricing move in order to counter the BOGO free promotions that Android and Blackberrys enjoy. It also will ensure they surprise the market the same way they did when the Iphone's price dropped to $199 in 2008 and $99 in 2009.

Of course therre won't be a margin hit on Apple as they will still get their regular wholesale price from AT&T. This is the strategic pricing move I'd recommend.
  • Reply 80 of 182
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If this is actually the new phone we'll have to wait and see but, to me, it looks much more robust than previous phones (not that the older phones weren't strong enough). Case, buttons... everything looks more solid.

Yeah, I don't speak Vietnamese, but several times he seemed to be conveying (through body language and how he handled it), that this thing was rigid and tough. The current iPhone can be run over by a car and tossed in a swimming pool and still keep working, I'm thinking this new one could be chucked at a brick wall or dropped off a building and still "keep on ticking."