New iPhone 4 prototype spotted in Vietnam

Comments

• Reply 81 of 182
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike11 View Post

Around 300 ppi is actually not that uncommon as you seem to think. In the western world they are around since at least early 2007 in smartphones (Toshiba Portege G900, 313 ppi). Most known examples would be HTC's Touch Diamond, Diamand 2, Touch Pro (all around 290 ppi) and most recently the Sony Ericsson X1 (312 ppi).

So I don't see a technical or financial problem with a 960x640 screen in all 4th-gen iPhones or at least in the high-end SKU (64GB/80GB). And it's the only resolution that makes sense given the pixel doubling (anything else would had to be announced or supported in the OS 4.0 beta SDK) and the iPad's 2x modus (remember how you read everywhere how pixelated and ugly 2x iPhone apps on the iPad are? Problem solved!)

I didn't know that 300 ppi was that common now (and I did no research either ). I don't see them having different screens in different models, as it would extend the need of support for low res screens even further.
  • Reply 82 of 182
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

That is nothing. Long nails are a status symbol.

Yeah, it means that you "don't have to lift a finger" to work (i.e. are wealthy) since it's difficult to do most jobs having long fingernails.

Also come in handy for certain illicit activities which require enough free time and money to engage in on a regular basis... or just playing guitar.
  • Reply 83 of 182
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

hmmm. While I enjoy looking at these photos, I can't help to think about the nature of the articles AI posted regarding Gizmodo episode. It strikes me as a little hypocritical to now be eagerly posting these photos. I guess it wasn't so much that Gizmodo revealed trade secrets as it was that they got caught or paid for the phone.

Just wondering.

For the millionth time, what part of: "it's illegal to buy stolen goods" do you not understand?
  • Reply 84 of 182
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

.Would be interesting to hear iPad arguments though...

It is magical.
  • Reply 85 of 182
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

This next iphone is gonna be a beast. I really hope Jobs can see what Adobe has done with flash for Android and reconsider his stance. If this new iphone has an A4 processor, it means it's running at 1Ghz right? That meets the 800mhz minimum Adobe has said is needed for flash mobile! I know this goes against the religion around here, but I think iPhone OS will support Flash someday and after it does, Jobs will justify his change of heart by saying he did it only because it's better than everyone else lol.

Adobe has done for flash on android? You mean that /box running 2.2 that won't be out for who knows how long running "special" version of flash made just for that hardware? All they showed was video and it still didn't run smooth, if all they are doing it making video run better than what is the point? How about battery life, did you see any indication of battery life in that video, yah either did anyone else. Talk about drinking the koolaid.
  • Reply 86 of 182
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Yeah I checked and none of the car navigation apps/systems have maps for Japan which sucks balls. It's ALWAYS North America and Europe...now China.

This link is promising though.

Google Maps Navigation could come to iPhone, other platforms soon
  • Reply 87 of 182
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The California police are now going to break down doors in Vietnam?

I hope not. It didn't work out too well last time...
  • Reply 88 of 182
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Wow.

Scariest iPhone Hand Model ever.
  • Reply 89 of 182
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Exactly. Apple really screwed up here by going after the Gizmodo guys so hard. I predicted at the time that they were just creating an incentive for people to take these things out of the country, and here it has happened already. Really, all in all, the Gizmodo thing went as well as Apple could have hoped -- they got the prototype back, after all. They won't be getting this one back, nor will they likely ever get back a prototype that goes missing again. It's now crystal clear that you have to get it out of the country, and so that's what will happen from now on.

I think you have it exactly backwards.

This seems to be a prototype phone stuck in test mode, probably stolen out of the manufacturing chain at some point. These phones would presumably be tracked and the person who stole it is likely in a lot more trouble than Jason Chen is going to be, both because it's the difference between a first world democracy and ... something else, and because it's more of a direct crime than the chain of events Gizmodo described.

What's happened here is that because Gizmodo set the precedent, all of a sudden there is a known "market" for stolen prototypes. The Gizmodo affair proved that tech review sites are willing to pay big bucks for stuff like this.

Apple isn't at fault for going after Gizmodo and nothing they did in that case could be construed as contributing to this event as far as I can see. There is on the other hand a logical argument to be made that Gizmodo being willing to pay that much money is what provides the incentive to some (probably Foxconn), worker to risk his entire livelihood by stealing a phone.
  • Reply 90 of 182
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

I think I missed that I'm an on italian forum ...

Seriously guys, would you mind using english ?

What's it to you? Seriously, you telling them to use English is way ruder than them talking in Italian in the first place.
  • Reply 91 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The current iPhone can be ...tossed in a swimming pool and still keep working,

Huh? From what I have heard, it cannot even survive being brought from an air conditioned house into a humid outdoors. That kills the moisture sensors and sometimes the circuitry.
  • Reply 92 of 182
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

It is magical.

Lol! I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not
  • Reply 93 of 182
    Quote:

What's happened here is that because Gizmodo set the precedent, all of a sudden there is a known "market" for stolen prototypes. The Gizmodo affair proved that tech review sites are willing to pay big bucks for stuff like this.

This response was predicted. Kudos to the guy who predicted it!

This leak is the fault of Gizmodo.
  • Reply 94 of 182
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The California police are now going to break down doors in Vietnam?

Nah, the Vietnamese Army.
  • Reply 95 of 182
    jozsoojozsoo Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Btw, come summertime how do I migrate my iPod stuff to my new iPhone? Just use the iTunes back up and restore feature?

Easy. Your iTunes library will still be there. When you activate the iPhone, you will be able to choose what you want synced -- contacts, music, apps, the lot.
  • Reply 96 of 182
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    I don't know..

I still think there is something missing from this whole; Extra Extra! News Flash! pictures of new iPhone; found / stolen / exposed!! story. I just don't know...

I am also thinking more and more that this really is not the actual form of the case (ie, that it's a prototype / working model).

I do not find this case objectionable. There are some things I quite like about it. But I just don't think this is what we are going to see when Steve Jobs walks on stage at it's premier.

We'll see.
  • Reply 97 of 182
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

For the millionth time, what part of: "it's illegal to buy stolen goods" do you not understand?

I was thinking about going out and buying a stolen, erm found, Ferrari, then blog about how it drives, that makes it legal right =D
  • Reply 98 of 182
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:

What's it to you? Seriously, you telling them to use English is way ruder than them talking in Italian in the first place.

Maybe my english isn't good enough and I might have put my words wrongly. My intention was to ask them in a friendly way, not to "tell" them.
  • Reply 99 of 182
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Why not? You are saying that asking is ruder? Because it was a request, not a demand.

I don't post English onto non-English sites, because I do think it is rude to do that.
  • Reply 100 of 182
    It's plain ugly. I think Apple will want a kind of similarity between the iPhone en the iPad. And this design would mean I couldn't use my two iPhone docks anymore.