New iPhone 4 prototype spotted in Vietnam

Comments

• Reply 101 of 182
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Don't forget the battery is only a fraction of the size of the iPad's...

But so is the display...
  • Reply 102 of 182
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmrtzzz View Post

It's plain ugly. I think Apple will want a kind of similarity between the iPhone en the iPad. And this design would mean I couldn't use my two iPhone docks anymore.

I was hoping for something that had an iPad-like back too. It may be that it wouldn't do as well for reception strength, because iPad has an antenna in the Apple logo on the back, the logo shouldn't be so big on iPhone. I was hoping that they make a sleeker version of the first generation model, which had a black section like iPad 3G. Having a whole back might be a lot better for a small device. The final thing that threw me off was the multi-piece perimeter. With Apple going to gung-ho on unibody, it seems like a step back for them, though the stamped perimeter is probably a lot more efficient to make, unibody has something like 50% material removal, a one-piece perimeter might have needed 95%.

Apple hasn't had any qualms leaving behind accessory compatibility. The fact that the docks were compatible with two generations of phones was almost an aberration for them.
  • Reply 103 of 182
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The California police are now going to break down doors in Vietnam?

While I'm sure there will be repercussions to the manufacturer, the difference is that they were not in possession of or fencing stolen (by statute) goods.

Pretty simple.
  • Reply 104 of 182
    Why does everybody compare this to all sorts off Nokia's?

If anything it looks like the LG Prada:

Anyways, I like the look of the thing and hope that there's a 64GB version coming.
  • Reply 105 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I might be in the minority who don't like it...it might grow on me... but so far it hasn't....

I liked how the tapered edges complemented the vertical and horizontal lines on the front with some curvyness. Now i'ts just a tad too boxy.

I agree. But like most of Apple's products I find once you can hold it you will appreciate it more!
  • Reply 106 of 182
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Have you seen Flash on Android? I've seen it crash on a tablet device last week and there are reports from this past weekend that Adobe showed it off again only to have it crash twice while loading ecodozoo.

BTW Hulu is blocking smartphones now because they want push a subscription service on smartphones and tablets.

I only saw it on a Nexus One and I was impressed, especially since the only alternatives I've ever seen were on WM (flash lite, and Skyfire.)

I haven't seen it crash though so I guess I'm jumping the gun at my judgement.

Got vids of the crashes? BTW, the video I saw of it running great was on Android 2.2. Are you sure the videos you saw were not of 2.1 running the 10.1 install?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Adobe has done for flash on android? You mean that /box running 2.2 that won't be out for who knows how long running "special" version of flash made just for that hardware? All they showed was video and it still didn't run smooth, if all they are doing it making video run better than what is the point? How about battery life, did you see any indication of battery life in that video, yah either did anyone else. Talk about drinking the koolaid.

Are you trying to be sarcastic or are you serious? First of all, if by "that box" you mean a Nexus One, then yes (which is fair since Adobe DID say 800mhz minimum cpu) and they are saying it'll be out in June (maybe I'm thinking of something else and getting it mixed up, but I'm under the impression it's June.)

Now, as far as what they have shown, they have shown more than just video (which ran good btw.) They showed full 3d as well as interaction with flash games.

As far as battery life goes, the only reports I've heard are from early adopters running a droid incredible. People say battery life is not impacted any more than if you were using the device's radio for something else.

WTF are you going on about drinking the Kool Aid for? Your single comment here was filled with misinformation and assumptions centered around a predetermined point of view.
  • Reply 107 of 182
    suzerainsuzerain Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Very ugly ad boxy. Like a 1970's econobox car

Ha, but to play devil's advocate, the current iPhone looks like a cheap piece of plastic with fake chrome around the edge, which personally reminds me of the dashboard inside that 1970's econobox car.

It's all down to personal preference, but I am stoked about the new design. I think it fits in much better with the cold, minimalistic metallic approach they've taken with the MacBooks and iPads.
  • Reply 108 of 182
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suzerain View Post

Ha, but to play devil's advocate, the current iPhone looks like a cheap piece of plastic with fake chrome around the edge, which personally reminds me of the dashboard inside that 1970's econobox car.

It's all down to personal preference, but I am stoked about the new design. I think it fits in much better with the cold, minimalistic metallic approach they've taken with the MacBooks and iPads.

I think it would be cool to offer the 4g in a classic body style, much like Ford did with the F150 when they went boxier recently
  • Reply 109 of 182
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I expect someone will say that Giz's actions encouraged this guy to feel free to do this.

Yes, 10-1 odds it will be the media, as they seem perfectly happy distorting the truth in order to convey that shield rights gives them the right to break the law.
  • Reply 110 of 182
    yesicanyesican Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I agree. But like most of Apple's products I find once you can hold it you will appreciate it more!

As long as it has an Apple logo on it? I wonder if you'd take a blind folded test and know which was an Apple product or does the symbol taint your thoughts?
  • Reply 111 of 182
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbman73175 View Post

Not trying to be a killjoy here folks, but the first thing I thought when I saw this thing turn up in Vietnam, was the first prototype (Gizmodo's) was a fake or this one is a fake pawning itself off to be like the Gizmodo find... I know there are all the chip engravings and such, but just the first thing that popped in my mind.

It seems pretty clear that the Gizmodo bar model was an engineering prototype. The one here seems to be a factory pre-run or from off the actual assembly line - i.e. the real thing.

I also noticed the front-facing camera. This is good news because this is what a lot of people have been asking for. Great going Apple!! (Once again)

--

Disclosure:

Long Apple

Do not own any cell phone.
  • Reply 112 of 182
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    I find it interesting that the seams could provide an electrical break in the case between both sides of the device. Grab the phone, you close the gap.

So.... anyone know why it might be beneficial to have a phone that "knows" when it's being held?
  • Reply 113 of 182
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

hmmm. While I enjoy looking at these photos, I can't help to think about the nature of the articles AI posted regarding Gizmodo episode. It strikes me as a little hypocritical to now be eagerly posting these photos. I guess it wasn't so much that Gizmodo revealed trade secrets as it was that they got caught or paid for the phone.

Just wondering.

Appleinsider didn't Huy stolon good. Ses the difference? No, check your morality. I'm not wondering.

Besides,gizmodo also made a fool of the engineer who loose the iPhone and gave all name and details to the Internet. It was despicable.

AI never did that.
  • Reply 114 of 182
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Seems as though the style is more CLASSIC than SLEEK. Basically it now comes down to the performance and connectivity. If this new 4g improves upon the antenna causing connectivity problems of previous phones its a big improvement.

As for the screen a higher resolution would be nice, hard to tell from pictures.

The A4 chip should be a big improvement in performance.

Lastly BATTERY LIFE..........If this phone doesn't improve on the previous phones battery life then it really would be a disaster. I know I can speak for many when I say that they're tired of charging their phones a few times a day.

We'll know the answers soon enough and hopefully they're what we want to hear.
  • Reply 115 of 182
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    About adobe flash: it's not June. And the demo had some crashes. It's not ready and adobe didn't tell June. It's end of year for now.
  • Reply 116 of 182
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Ahhh for the good old days - when Apple's announcements were a real surprise! These scoops sure spoil the fun.

I don't really blame AI for republishing what is already out there - but I wish the blog feeding frenzy would just hold off.
  • Reply 117 of 182
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Yes, 10-1 odds it will be the media, as they seem perfectly happy distorting the truth in order to convey that shield rights gives them the right to break the law.

Read up ^^^

You have already lost that bet.
  • Reply 118 of 182
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

While I'm sure there will be repercussions to the manufacturer, the difference is that they were not in possession of or fencing stolen (by statute) goods.

Pretty simple.

Unfortunately, for some people, no - it's not.
  • Reply 119 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The California police are now going to break down doors in Vietnam?

Apple doen't handle international cases like in the US. Don't be surprised if he "commits suicide" though.
  • Reply 120 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

I find it interesting that the seams could provide an electrical break in the case between both sides of the device. Grab the phone, you close the gap.

So.... anyone know why it might be beneficial to have a phone that "knows" when it's being held?

Very good thinking. The seams could be a manufacturing necessity but that's a great observation. Another button, or two.