New iPhone 4 prototype spotted in Vietnam

Comments

• Reply 121 of 182
    quadquad Posts: 13member
    This design is so great - I will definitely be upgrading 4 lines on my account from the 3GS to this.

Can anyone break down exactly what changed in between the Gizmodo version and this one?
  • Reply 122 of 182
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I haven't seen it crash though so I guess I'm jumping the gun at my judgement.

Got vids of the crashes?

ON THE ANDROID FLASH DEMO AT FLASHCAMP*SEATTLE

http://jeffcroft.com/blog/2010/may/0...hcamp-seattle/

At FlashCamp it crashed twice running Eco Zoo and when someone mentioned to play Hulu they ended the demonstration.

Found footage: Android tablet prototype running (and crashing) Flash

http://i.tuaw.com/2010/05/05/found-f...nd-crashing-f/

The only other demo I've seen had Flash was on Vimeo and 25% of the battery was gone in 10 minutes. There were no crashes though.
  • Reply 123 of 182
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

But so is the display...

No doubt! But the original poster seemed to be implying a switch to A4 by itself would grant iPad like battery life. It may--I hope it does!--but I don't think it is a slam dunk...
  • Reply 124 of 182
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

For the love of God someone get that guy some nail clippers!

Perhaps they also study flamenco guitar?
  • Reply 125 of 182
    It sure looks amazing, but I'm disappointed that they apparently put the A4 in there. It's based on the Cortex A8-design, which is last year's technology. Get with the times, Apple, and put multi-core A9s in there.
  • Reply 126 of 182
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The California police are now going to break down doors in Vietnam?

The only "California police" I know of is the California Highway Patrol.

Last time I checked, they did not get much involved in breaking down doors to recover good stolen from a bar. Unless, of course, the bar was sitting in the middle of a highway.
  • Reply 127 of 182
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Any reason why the video did not show the phone running at all? And what were those vertical tic marks at the bottom of the screen--some sort of progress indicator?

Probably because it is not real ..just a fake phone IMHO
  • Reply 128 of 182
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    I am sorry the lines in this are just to lame. The fit and finish is not anything like a MBP or the current iPhone. Look at the terrible seem. I count 3 of these. This is at best a concept. The final product better look better.

Again I think this is just working concept. EVERY APPLE product looks sharp with clean lines. The lines here suck. Give SJ a call and ask him what he thinks.
  • Reply 129 of 182
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Does this mean the specs will include a 1Ghz processor?

How does that compare to the 3G and S?
  • Reply 130 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Perhaps they also study flamingo guitar?

Why ... is it pink? Or, do you mean flamenco?
  • Reply 131 of 182
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

At FlashCamp it crashed twice running Eco Zoo and when someone mentioned to play Hulu they ended the demonstration.

The only other demo I've seen had Flash was on Vimeo and 25% of the battery was gone in 10 minutes. There were no crashes though.

Ok wait, go back and look at your first link. The video at the bottom is the one I saw, and the update says it's based on a newer version of Flash mobile than what you saw crash.

so in other words, it's coming along.

Look, I guess we can only wait and see how this thing turns out. If 2.2 comes out and swarms of users are reporting crashes, then we can judge it to be garbage.

Basically, judging software in beta phases is like judging a sculpture in the middle of the artist's progress. It's not done! lol

Edit:

THE TABLET DIDN'T CRASH!!!

Look what the reviewer had to say:

*Update: Just wanted to clarify, flash didn’t crash here, I just accidentally hit the “home” button while I was really trying to hit the “back” button. Android users know that you get an error message if an app crashes, I know because I have a Nexus One. There’s hidden home,back, and power buttons (on the side of the prototype) u do not see in the videos/photos, sorry if that confused any readers.

So isn't THAT funny? Nobody is listening here, I know, but it just confirms the mentality of your average apple fan. The youtube video is FILLED with comments about how flash is fail and so is android and blah blah blah. Facepalm indeed

HILARIOUS.
  • Reply 132 of 182
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

The 2x feature in the iPad os

I don't think that they developed this feature for iPad only, but that they had a change in the screen res of the iPhone in mind, so that they would be able to smoothly change the res, without making the existing iPhone/iPod Touch apps look weird.

This would be a non-issue if Apple had intelligent screen resizing. They are just doing straight pixel doubling right now. That is fine for games, but text-heavy applications look terrible. A perfect example is Flixster. You could conceivably just alter the XML properties of the app to support iPad and it would show full screen with the correct text formatting. Apple chose the easy way out.

On the topic of thievery in Gizmodo case:

The real issue is going to be harm. Not only is Apple losing 3GS sales because people are now waiting for this new phone (as many of you state), their competitors now also have an advantage to catch up and deliver an equivalent or better phone. Honestly I woudn't be surprised if this ended up being a multi-million dollar civil case. Gizmodo may consider themselves to be journalists, but they purchased stolen property and revealed damaging trade secrets. I wouldn't be surprised if they get sued into oblivion.

And yea, it sounds like moving the phone out of the country may be a way out (or just intercepting it from where it is being manufactured). I'm not sure if Interpol or any other organization has enough jurisdiction, or if any international law will take precedent here.
  • Reply 133 of 182
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Apparently the crashes were because it's in beta.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19612...r_android.html

They have gotten Flash and up running on Android:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/11/a...exus-one-vide/
  • Reply 134 of 182
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

No doubt! But the original poster seemed to be implying a switch to A4 by itself would grant iPad like battery life. It may--I hope it does!--but I don't think it is a slam dunk...

If I remember correctly, someone asked about audio battery life on the iPad and Jobs said something like it could go for days with the screen off as the A4 chip hardly uses any power at all. The battery on the new iPhone will also have a higher capacity than the current 3GS if the Gizmodo teardown is any indication.
  • Reply 135 of 182
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

hmmm. While I enjoy looking at these photos, I can't help to think about the nature of the articles AI posted regarding Gizmodo episode. It strikes me as a little hypocritical to now be eagerly posting these photos. I guess it wasn't so much that Gizmodo revealed trade secrets as it was that they got caught or paid for the phone.

Just wondering.

I agree 100%. I'd hope that if AI got ahold of a prototype iPhone (or iPad or iAnything), that they'd publish it outright without asking Apple if it was OK first. But after using the words Gizmodo was "exploiting" the prototype bit, I just don't know. Definitely effected my opinion of the site's point of view, and the stock price in the upper right corner I now see in another context.

That said, AI does great in-depth Apple stories that are beyond what anyone else does (or possibly can do), so AI definitely holds some value to me.

On the A4 chip:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was under-clocked for the iPhone 4G. Still super fast, but the phone literally has half the batteries, so I doubt you could run that thing at full power and expect the results you'd get on the iPad. Plus there's the further argument that the iPad is just a big iPod Touch, which this would validate. I still want both, but will probably wait until the iPad second gen, hoping for an iChat camera.
  • Reply 136 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why not? You are saying that asking is ruder? Because it was a request, not a demand.

I don't post English onto non-English sites, because I do think it is rude to do that.

I saw someone post something in Italian, and I decided to respond to them in Italian. I figured their comment would probably not get any other responses (other than maybe the odd angry response in English), and so out of courtesy, I responded to them in the language they used because I can.

Our exchange ended, it wasn't very deep. They said that they didn't like the design and they hoped that these leaked photos didn't represent the final design for the next iPhone, and I responded saying that these almost certainly represent the final design, considering images of both prototypes have been released so close to the date of the WWDC.

Just my opinion, but I think English speakers who don't post on Non-English sites are probably not posting because they don't understand what they're reading (and probably don't visit non-English sites to begin with). Also, again just my opinion, but the fact that I responded to them in their language of choice and that I just took the time to translate our exchange, was kind, not rude.

Sorry for continuing this non-sequitur, I hope it's done now. I'm really looking forward to the new iPhone (or as we call it in Québec "le nouveau téléphone cellulaire de la compagnie de la pomme"), I haven't owned one yet and this one looks absolutely great, although what I would like most is a price-drop.
  • Reply 137 of 182
    yesicanyesican Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

They have gotten Flash and up running on Android:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/11/a...exus-one-vide/

Cool- maybe SJ will get with the program and give us more free movies and games now- at least give us a choice to drain our non-removable battery faster if we so desire.
  • Reply 138 of 182
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

That was an embarrassment to Adobe, I have to admit. However, the presenter (I forget his name) fixed the code and released another video showing Flash 10.1 on a Nexus One running Froyo (Android 2.2):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIl1k7wX7Fk

As you can see, EcoZoo is one of the first things he runs and it turns out just fine.

Flashmobileblog did two tests for battery time and found that for playing a 17 minute video, the battery only drained 6%. They claim this equals roughly 4 hours of playing straight videos and 5 hours of Flash games.

http://www.flashmobileblog.com/2010/...-on-nexus-one/

Take it for what it's worth at the moment...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So isn't THAT funny? Nobody is listening here, I know, but it just confirms the mentality of your average apple fan. The youtube video is failed with comments about how flash is fail and so is android and blah blah blah. All along the dude just hit the home button.

HILARIOUS.

People are quick to judge at face value when it's a result that they want to see.
  • Reply 139 of 182
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suzerain View Post

Ha, but to play devil's advocate, the current iPhone looks like a cheap piece of plastic with fake chrome around the edge, which personally reminds me of the dashboard inside that 1970's econobox car.

It's all down to personal preference, but I am stoked about the new design. I think it fits in much better with the cold, minimalistic metallic approach they've taken with the MacBooks and iPads.

As usual, I think different. I like the smooth curved plastic back of the 3GS, but I agree that the plated chrome bezel is tacky.

I question the flat back of the new iPhone, and IMO, it is not as techno-lustworthy as the current design. It looks VERY thin tho.
  • Reply 140 of 182
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

..... the difference is that they were not in possession of or fencing stolen (by statute) goods.

You know that how?