gaming device/machine with gamecube technology?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
could it be apple will release the iBox? since the nintendo game cube runs on PPC technology, "why not(tm)"? And the gamecube runs on ATI graphics as well..

double edit: stupid typos

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: xype ]

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: xype ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    I dont know...

sounds just as korny as the "iPod"...

And I didnt see that one coming...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

-----------------------------

• Reply 1 of 17
    I do not see how they would be able to get all the developers that would be required for this. But besides that, it would simply not be a Mac... Gaming, I think, should be improved on their COMPUTERS, but should not become another one of their markets... Gaming is simply not their niche, and if they did this, I think it would be pretty lethal to them.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    yeah, but one can licence the gamcube technology from nintendo (panasonic did already, iirc) - so wouldn't a gamecube games running on a g3 user machine be possible then? maybe with the option to boot os X?

edit: typos

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: xype ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 17
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    Although I don't think this would ever happen, I think it would be possible to make, say, the new imac able to also play gamecube games. As someone pointed out, Panasonic has made a DVD player/Game Cube device recently, so Nintendo is liscensing the technology.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Two technical difficulties.

One, it couldn't be slot loading because I THINK the Gamecube discs are smaller than CDs.

Two, I've also heard that the drive spins backwards....
  • Reply 6 of 17
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>Two technical difficulties.

One, it couldn't be slot loading because I THINK the Gamecube discs are smaller than CDs.

Two, I've also heard that the drive spins backwards....</strong><hr></blockquote>

one-yes thats correct (I dont want slot laoding anyway)

two-not sure, but I have heard the same thing. This would cause problems methinks...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    The drive does NOT spin backwards, but the console IS based on G3 technology... But it is very modified. IBM added many instructions that would help specifically in gaming... On top of that, though, the Gamecube uses very VERY high speed MoSys ram that has a better latency than most ddr ram... The system requirements would be very immense based on the technology of the Gamecube... I *COULD* see where the graphics side would work out, only if apple used the hyper-z technology or whatever it was called, as the system has over 10gb/sec bandwidth to the video memory on the graphics chip. (The Gekko Basically, I think it would take at LEAST a dual 800 machine to even RUN it, not even @ an acceptable speed. And with Nintendo's mantra of "Gaming, and gaming only" I could not conceive it happening.... If it did, I would be glad, because that would make the Macs VERY high end. (They would HAVE to be running DDR 333 minimum to compete with MoSys 1t ram) Obviously, these are only a few of the factors... Another thing to note, is that while they allowed Panasonic (Matushita in Japan) to make a DVD player-based version of the Cube, it has ALL of the hardware a tandard NGC has, but also plays dvds. (So obviously it has a different drive)

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Jeremiah Rich ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Since it's a new iMac I think the idea was to license some of the actual Gamecube hardware and cater the OS to run on IT. That would be easier than the reverse because of the speed problems you mentioned.

I don't see it happening.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Well, Apple still has a Cube design they have to use somehow..
  • Reply 10 of 17
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    #1 ATi chip is a custom job. You'd be writing all sorts of brand new funk just for it . . . It's a funkified form of OpenGL. Would Apple be keen on re-writing that? No.

#2 Discs. they're custom mini-DVDs.

No - they don't spin normal. But from what I remember - Nintendo went through great pains to ensure that these things would be VERY hard to pirate.

Someone name ONE reason how this would benefit either Apple or Nintendo in any possible way.

"Oh - it would get gamers to move to a Mac!"

Uh - $200 is a lot less for a gamecube you can play on your huge 35" TV.

"More games for mac!"

Uh - there are only like 10 games out for GameCube. and none would be fun to play without a gamecube controller.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    You're forgetting the power of Pikachu.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    &gt; #1 ATi chip is a custom job. You'd be writing

&gt; all sorts of brand new funk just for it . . .

&gt; It's a funkified form of OpenGL. Would Apple be

&gt; keen on re-writing that? No.

Depends on how you look at it - if it means whole lotta games for the new mac and brining Apple hardware into your living room the drivers are well worth the hassle. And custom job - ATI is doing lotsa custom jobs, so one more modification to the gamecube gfx to suit Apple wouldn't be that big...

&gt; #2 Discs. they're custom mini-DVDs.

&gt; No - they don't spin normal. But from what I

&gt; remember - Nintendo went through great pains to

&gt; ensure that these things would be VERY hard to

&gt; pirate.

So, maybe superdrive2 can read them? after all, if it's "normal" DVD you can modify the DVD players to read them with a few tweaks in the player software.

&gt; Someone name ONE reason how this would benefit

&gt; either Apple or Nintendo in any possible way.

Marketshare. Little kids would love to have pikachu and if the parents get a home computer with the possibility of playing Gamecube games it's a go.

&gt; "Oh - it would get gamers to move to a Mac!"

yes

&gt; Uh - $200 is a lot less for a gamecube you can

&gt; play on your huge 35" TV.

Gamecube doesn't get you onto the net or use Office f.X, a mac does.

&gt; "More games for mac!"

All Nintendo branded games for Mac.

&gt; Uh - there are only like 10 games out for

&gt; GameCube. and none would be fun to play without

&gt; a gamecube controller.

So? Make the device USB.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    I touched on this one in the chat room a while ago. Personally I beleive that "adding" the hardware/software would be counter productive and detracting from the Mac platform... but ...

Having a combo for example...

Buy iMac/PM version??? and get your choice of either ....

that camera they have had in recent iMac packs

OR

an actual Gamecube with 1-2 games

OR

etc,etc

That way the consumer would get their funky Mac and whatever peice of external hardware to suit their tastes, I can see the kiddies going for that one.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by ZoranS:

<strong>I touched on this one in the chat room a while ago. Personally I beleive that "adding" the hardware/software would be counter productive and detracting from the Mac platform... but ...

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think that more than the platform Apple needs to get it's brand in the people's minds so when they actually think about electronic devices Appl is sitting in their minds next to Sony and Dell.

off topic: Is your name actually Zoran? Sounds croatian or slovenian to me..
  • Reply 15 of 17
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Macedonian actually, close though.

I was previously iRobot but decided to change it to my RL name and last initial after a post by a user on another thread.

I DO see the point you make in regards to the brand getting into peoples minds, but Apple have taken the "image" style of advertising to its extremes, and in my mind the best way to get it into peoples minds is to have peeps buy it in the first place.

If the kids must be lured into suckering their parents to buy a Mac... so be it
  • Reply 16 of 17
    &gt; Macedonian actually, close though.

Nice to meet you, I am originally from Slovenia.

&gt; If the kids must be lured into suckering their

&gt; parents to buy a Mac... so be it

I saw a lot of people buying stuff from computers, trough home entertainment systems to stereos based on what their kids said...

So, presenting the iMacGameCube on monday!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    As far as the Panasonic GC goes, Nintendo has instructed Panasonic NOT to distribute or sell the modified GC in the US. It may be available in Japan, but will never see the light of day here. This makes me wonder if there is something going on with Apple so that another option will be available to the US market. There are just sooooo many things to look at when talking about this because of the many obvious compatibility issues.