AT&T moves some handset upgrade dates to June ahead of iPhone launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    What does "at a higher price" refer to?
  • Reply 22 of 41
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Sounds like good business on ATT's part! If I'm going to pay $110/mo anyway. I'll make damn sure I have the newest iPhone.

When I got my 3Gs, I sold my 1st gen phone, a month ago for $80 to www.SellYourOldiPhone.com.

Wish I had sold 1st gen phone as soon as I got my 3Gs over a year ago...probably would have got a little more for it.

Nevertheless it was pretty easy...they sent me a prepaid UPS label...I reset the phone to factory settings, removed the sim card, put the phone in a box and dropped it off at a mail store. 10 days later had a check for $80. Pretty sweet!

I don't know what I will get for my 3Gs but it should be more than $80!

Best

Ps. No affiliation...just an FYI (spreading the love) to everyone to make the upgrade price a little easier to take!
  • Reply 23 of 41
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Gaaaah! It's that hand again!! Eeeeek!
  • Reply 24 of 41
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Boo! I got my 3GS on launch day.

Then again, I pay exactly $99 after tax for my 3GS and my wife's dumbphone with 700 shared minutes after State Employees discount.

Me too, and my update date is in February... I wonder if using the corporate discount factors into their equation...
  • Reply 25 of 41
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Ah, so *I* paid part of the rest. Sweet!

Umm, not really. No taxes involved.

It's just a glorified "quantity discount" offered to any large organization. I have one on my iPhone merely by mentioning (and proving via a business card) that I work for a certain large company. My wife has one, too, thru her company. Interestingly, her discount is just slightly cheaper than mine by a dollar or two, and we have identical plans.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

Umm, not really. No taxes involved.

It's just a glorified "quantity discount" offered to any large organization. I have one on my iPhone merely by mentioning (and proving via a business card) that I work for a certain large company. My wife has one, too, thru her company. Interestingly, her discount is just slightly cheaper than mine by a dollar or two, and we have identical plans.

My wife is a NC school teacher, that's why we get the discount (basically anyone employed by the state). I think it's 15%, which is quite nice.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    cherrypopcherrypop Posts: 86member
    Something tells me that not everything here meets the eye.

I suspect that while some of us with the 3GS have had our dates updated (I checked mine yesterday, and it's also june 21, 2010), I wouldn't be at all surprised if we're eligible for a discount of some kind, but not all eligible for the _full_ discount.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

In what way? Reliability? Customer install base? Customer service? They aren't number 1 on customers, Verizon has more. Reliability? Nope. Customer service? Nope. What are they #1 in again?

Doesn't change the fact that I am happy with them.

They are number 1 in dropping calls. Come on give them some credit
  • Reply 29 of 41
    I sure hope they move my full upgrade date up to the 21st I bought my 3GS on launch day and my upgrade eligibility is still nov.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    stlbluesfanstlbluesfan Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

In what way? Reliability? Customer install base? Customer service? They aren't number 1 on customers, Verizon has more. Reliability? Nope. Customer service? Nope. What are they #1 in again?

Doesn't change the fact that I am happy with them.

He's just expressing his "excitement" about AT&T, much in the same way others describe the iPad as "magical."
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Nyah nyah 1 day sooner than you.

Bought on launch day.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    I passed up on 3GS, so I am for sure upgrading my 3G to iPhone 4 and pass on my 3G to my wife, who is happy with POMP (Plain Old Mobile Phone).
  • Reply 33 of 41
    If this new iPhone has much better call reception due to its apparent ceramic or plastic (no one seems to know for sure) back, then is this a way for AT&T to get better performing phones out there that will experience less dropped calls? For all we know the 4G will also have other bandwidth-saving features, and it's in AT&T's best interest to get as many 3G's upgraded ASAP
  • Reply 34 of 41
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Gaaaah! It's that hand again!! Eeeeek!

Shop steward at iPhone manufacturing plant (after discovering one unit was missing):

• Reply 35 of 41
    I bought my 3gs the day it came out July 11 if I can remember. They now moved my date to June 25 2010. So what am I going to do. Get the new iPhone. Thanks AT&T.. Love you guys and apple
  • Reply 36 of 41
    I just confirmed that AT&T will not change both upgrade dates for the two phones we have under our plan. We both bought new 3gs phones last year on the same date, but they will only offer one upgrade in June. I have spents many thousands of dollars over the years for my phones with AT&T and never been late once on my bill. How stupid are they not to want to lock good customers in for another two years on a contract? Why would one person want to upgrade to the new phone and not another? I have had it! Their coverage sucks! I can't have a conversation on my iphone without having to call back someone at least once! There are no options for tethering for my laptop or ipad? I am just truly tired of this pathetic company and will pay whatever price I need to break my contract next month. I pray that Verizon announces service for the iphone, if not, it may be Droid time! Apple please realize that there needs to competition in the U.S. so that people have a choice. Otherwise, your good name gets dragged into the mud with the idiots at AT&T!
  • Reply 37 of 41
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Ah, so *I* paid part of the rest. Sweet!

No, the discount comes out of AT&T's pocket, but then they probably get some tax breaks for doing so. Companies like government contracts, no risk of bounced checks or missed payments.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    I've never really understood their ways of deciding the upgrade process because I'm on a family plan with the gf and I bought my 3gs on launch date and Im eligible for an upgrade in February of 2011 while I bought the gf her 3gs this Christmas and she's eligible December 2010. How does this make ANY sense? Same iPhones. Same plan. Same bill. Same everything, except upgrade dates.......BS!

Logic would say that I am eligible before the gf since mine was bought 6months before hers.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Wow, my just changed and said that I can upgrade with just an $18 activation fee. Before, it said I wasn't eligible until November.

Only change is that I switched out my wife's "dumbphone" for a refurbed 32GB iPhone 3GS a few weeks ago.

Regardless, it's on like donkey kong now!!
  • Reply 40 of 41
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    We are switching to fam plan from one iPhone. I'm assuming there will be no problem moving my number to the new phone and getting a new number for this 3gs I have now.

Or is that a bad assumption??