Apple adding Facebook features to iPhone OS 4 - rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone OS 4 could sport built-in integration with Facebook, including contact syncing and social connectivity to App Store software, according to a new report.

Citing a "plugged-in source in the mobile industry," Silicon Alley Insider reported Wednesday that the forthcoming iPhone software upgrade will "at least" allow direct syncing with Facebook contacts. The report said the feature could be unveiled as soon as June 7, at the keynote address at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

"We also hear that Apple could be integrating Facebook Connect directly into its software developers kit so programmers can more easily add Facebook 'social' features to their apps," author Dan Frommer wrote. "But we don't have details on how that might work."

He also speculated that Apple could build "some sort of Facebook messaging features" into the latest version of the iPhone OS, such as allowing messages to be sent via Facebook Chat in a manner as simple as sending a text message.

Integration with Facebook is already a prominent feature of Google's competing mobile operating system, Android 2.0, released last year. Microsoft has also planned strong Facebook connectivity with its forthcoming Windows Phone 7, due out later this year.

In early April, Apple introduced iPhone OS 4 with 100 new features, the largest of them multitasking support for the mobile operating system. Developers currently have access to preview builds of iPhone OS 4, but the software does not currently offer any integration with Facebook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
  • Reply 2 of 55
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I'm not sure I buy this story either.

(Edit: the more i think about it, it's not so far fetched)
  • Reply 3 of 55
    It better be an optional feature for those who do not want it
  • Reply 4 of 55
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

I'm first

2002 called and they want their "first post" comment back.

Back to the topic at hand, this isn't terribly implausible. By baking in Facebook Connect support into the iPhone OS, that facilitates app developers in adding that functionality into their apps, much like Location Services.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Knowimagination View Post

I don't see why it wouldn't be an optional feature. You can turn off almost everything else (e.g., Push Notifications). You don't even need to configure e-mail on your iPhone/iPod touch. You can be fairly anonymous.

Facebook Connect would be opt-in.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Four letter word starting with 'f' followed by 'no!' in all caps.

Facebook is a plague.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:

It better be. I don't have Facebook and I don't want it. And I don't want to see traces of it all over OS 4.0
  • Reply 7 of 55
    scott6666scott6666 Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applezilla View Post

four letter word starting with 'f' followed by 'no!' in all caps.

Facebook is a plague.

+1,000,000
  • Reply 8 of 55
    They have an app, leave it at that please. Facebook is like AOL....junk.

No need for integration into the OS.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    csecse Posts: 1member
    Count WebOS as another OS that already has this feature...not that anyone cares. Who knows, now that HP is running the show maybe it will actually become a decent market player.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Facebook, the new AOL. Oops, just saw Technohermit's post. Anyway, I wonder if Zuckerberg is Steve Case's nephew.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

They have an app, leave it at that please. Facebook is like AOL....junk.

No need for integration into the OS.

I don't use Facebook myself, but if it helps sell oodles of iPhones, I'm okay with it.

That's my perspective as an AAPL shareholder.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I don't use Facebook myself, but if it helps sell oodles of iPhones, I'm okay with it.

That's my perspective as an AAPL shareholder.

I agree with that aspect of it too. Especially with 400M accounts.

I'm surprised there aren't tons of Facebook branded feature phones.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Yawn. One of these days, I should try this Facebook/social networking thing-y.

Yawn.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:

I'm sure it is considering not everyone has a Facebook account...
  • Reply 15 of 55
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    I thought that FaceBook fad was just about over?
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

I thought that FaceBook fad was just about over?

Sadly, no.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    iancass79iancass79 Posts: 80member
    I hate that this is even mentioned. Facebook sucks bahlz. 90% of people on it don't know how to keep private stuff private either. Might as well upload a map to their hidden key and post when they will be out of town and their alarm code too.

I don't see Apple selling their soul to Facebook. If they thought it was the greatest thing out there, they would create their own and make it not suck.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    I can't see this as anything but an option and a bad one at that. What value does it give to have that crap on my iPhone - if they "add" it I hope it is done like iBooks - it is accessible but dump-ible cause I would prefer to have the space than have that. If it is an add-on then at least we can dump it.

I am not sure I buy adding it to the OS anyway. iPhone is much more about lean and powerful - and with OS4 why would it need to be part of the OS anyway if it has an API that is accessible?
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I can't see this as anything but an option and a bad one at that. What value does it give to have that crap on my iPhone - if they "add" it I hope it is done like iBooks - it is accessible but dump-ible cause I would prefer to have the space than have that. If it is an add-on then at least we can dump it.

It would be something like e-mail on the iPhone. You have to configure it. If you don't have it or don't want to use it, you would be free to basically turn it off.

Just like Location Services or WiFi.

Not a big deal.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    gchristegchriste Posts: 43member
    So over facebook. Have now deleted my account. Keep it optional please.