New Apple ad: 'iPad revolution has just begun' (video)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is advertising the iPad in a new spot that breaks from previous iPod an iPhone product ads to present the new device as magical and revolutionary.

The new spot, which Apple today posted to YouTube, asks "What is iPad?"

It then portrays users interacting with the thin new tablet, noting that it is "thin, beautiful, goes anywhere, and lasts all day."

The ad ends with the line, "It's already a revolution, and it's only just begun."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    This reminded me of the Newton ad back in the days... I think this was a nod to it...
  • Reply 2 of 82
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Thank the Lord they are finally going with a new style in advertising. The old iPod/iPhone/Mac ads were tiresome.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    Pretty impressive...especially when you consider this is a first generation iteration!

Great job Apple!
  • Reply 4 of 82
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, that's thinking different.

I believe that was Peter Coyote doing the voice over, and the focus on specs suggests they're aiming this ad at a male audience.

I'm betting we'll see more that focus on the "fun" aspect and the "social networking" aspect as well. Possibly even an older demo ad that just shows the book/magazine aspect of the iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

This reminded me of the Newton ad back in the days... I think this was a nod to it...

You are not the only one...

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/12/...at-is-ipad-ad/
  • Reply 6 of 82
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is advertising the iPad in a new spot that breaks from previous iPod an iPhone product ads to present the new device as magical and revolutionary. ...

I like the way it only shows the parts of the body that you would see when you are looking down at your iPad.

It's smartly done, and will sell a lot of iPads probably but I wish they'd stop with that "magical" crap. It's a totally 1.0 device and has many flaws. The "magical" version is still about five years away IMO. Where else is there to go once you've brought out superlatives like that?
  • Reply 7 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I like the way it only shows the parts of the body that you would see when you are looking down at your iPad.

It's smartly done, and will sell a lot of iPads probably but I wish they'd stop with that "magical" crap. It's a totally 1.0 device and has many flaws. The "magical" version is still about five years away IMO. Where else is there to go once you've brought out superlatives like that?

mega-magical
  • Reply 8 of 82
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    And I am coming along with ya. Whoa!
  • Reply 9 of 82
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

... the focus on specs suggests they're aiming this ad at a male audience...

There isn't a single mention of the "specs" in the ad.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    The "You already know how to use it" line will go down in advertising history as one of the most powerful pitches ever to the substantial portion of the public who consider themselves "technologically challenged."
  • Reply 11 of 82
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Best Apple ad in many, many years. No more "foofarah foo foo happy woo playful whimsy" stuff. It's like, "**** YOU B**CHES, YOU KNOW YOU WANT THIS. JUST ADMIT IT, SHUT UP and GET IT."
  • Reply 12 of 82
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:

There isn't a single mention of the "specs" in the ad.

Specs? In a television commercial about the most popular gadget in the world? What do you want them to mention?

\
  • Reply 13 of 82
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    "All the worlds websites in your hands."

Is that entirely honest?
  • Reply 14 of 82
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

"All the worlds websites in your hands."

Is that entirely honest?

Oh, the sites are there. You just can't do much with some of them.
  • Reply 15 of 82
    acslater017acslater017 Posts: 424member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Well, that's thinking different.

I believe that was Peter Coyote doing the voice over, and the focus on specs suggests they're aiming this ad at a male audience.

I'm betting we'll see more that focus on the "fun" aspect and the "social networking" aspect as well. Possibly even an older demo ad that just shows the book/magazine aspect of the iPad.

Right? I half-expected the "dRoId!" noise at the end.
  • Reply 16 of 82
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Regardless of what Apple does with the iPad five years down the road, there will always be people (and you know who you are) that will whine till the end of time that they will NEVER buy an iPad unless it has <insert lame feature here>. Just the way it is.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:

but I wish they'd stop with that "magical" crap. It's a totally 1.0 device and has many flaws. The "magical" version is still about five years away IMO. Where else is there to go once you've brought out superlatives like that?

You forgot "and revolutionary, at an unbelieveable price".

• Reply 18 of 82
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Regardless of what Apple does with the iPad five years down the road, there will always be people (and you know who you are) that will whine till the end of time that they will NEVER buy an iPad unless it has <insert lame feature here>. Just the way it is.

I bought an iPad and now I have it on ebay. Wasn't that blown away.

The interface is the best part about it, but instead of saying I'll buy it when it has >insert feature here< included, I'll just say that once I get rid of it, I won't be buying another one.

I WILL, however, buy the very first MacBook Pro that comes with a touch screen and no clamshell lid...
  • Reply 19 of 82
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Very nice and clever ad. This ad addresses the question most people ask when they hear the word iPad "What is an iPad?. In my opinion, this is not a departure from the standard iPhone style ads (remember the first iPhone 3GS ad?). Apple will go back showing off the iPad in action using apps shortly.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I bought an iPad and now I have it on ebay. Wasn't that blown away.

The interface is the best part about it, but instead of saying I'll buy it when it has >insert feature here< included, I'll just say that once I get rid of it, I won't be buying another one.

I don't think you will have problem getting rid of it. In fact you will make money selling it.

Quote:

I WILL, however, buy the very first MacBook Pro that comes with a touch screen and no clamshell lid...

You don't have to wait.