Walmart plans to sell Apple iPad by end of 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twistedarts View Post

I'm neither a fan or hater of walmart but let's face it, walmart stands for cheap. why would apple want to represent themselves in that way? I feel it would de-value their brand image. but that is JMHO.

Had a look at any economic forecasts recently? Apple is a business, not just a "magical" device maker and sales are made at Walmart also. There are far fewer Apple Stores, so this can only accelerate adoption of the iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoodlesNoodlemann View Post

>>Well in general nothing, this is off topic to the thread and I do not want to start a flame war, so I do apologize- IMO some people(and I?m one of them) just wish WalMart had a little more 'sensitivity' to American 'made' products>>

Please. Like Target is full of US made products. Don't blame Wal Mart on this. Everyone is producing offshore. And until and unless consumers stop buying offshore produced merchandise, it won't change. Unfortunately, people want the lowest cost. They don't realize or care what it is doing to our economy. It isn't just Wal Mart. You can go to Nordtrom's and buy $75.00 neckties made in China.

Again, did not want to start a back and forth, we could go on for days...

IMO - As the saying goes... they started it, thus why Walmart receives the lion share of credit/blame in blogs editorals etc. IMO- from my understanding, Target/Sears etc had to match Walmart practices. So yes, I do blame them. One can say that it was all inevitable- but it has not been so for other countries who have 'fought back' against Walmart... for good or bad... again could go on for days on the merits etc. Lets not.

Lets say we agree from different perspectives.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

My take is most, but not all of the comments so far were against Walmarts practices. However, you have done a fine job of labeling and prejudging people.

My reply to that is... if my comments do not apply to you or others then simply ignore it. I don't pre-judge the masses, but it is clear some people do believe WM is not good for Apple, because of their views on the people who shop there and their presumed (by some) poor quality of products and it being a 'third tier' store.

I don't shop at WM because of they are too big and do their best to crush everyone and have too many cheap products and to a lesser extent their work policies. But I'm not judgementall of those who do shop there, folks can do what they want, but I choose to shop elsewhere. If people are soooo outraged about Walmart policies and employees relations then why do they buy Apple products? Apple doesn't have a perfectly clean record in China for partner work relations and only recently did they try to do something about it in part due to negative media attention. Why do some still buy Nike, they have a questionable labor past (among many other retailers and businesses). It's similar to me when people complain about China's power and politics and human rights, but half the items they use are from China including an iPod or iPhone, etc. So, don't get high and mighty about Walmart and their labor ways unless they boycott and complain about every retailer and businesses with marked behavior. I do what I do and think what I think, but don't judge others who do & think different. I don't make those judgements and think Apple is somehow lowering themselves by selling at WM, it's all business, money, and getting your products in front of more eyes. It's all business and money people, relax. I am sure many products many folks own and buy (including your HDTV, toothpaste, etc) are sold in WM, are those companies less or insulting your morals also?
  • Reply 24 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

This company has one of the worst record of every corporate mischief. Walmart only positive record is increasing sales any way possible. Denies employees of benefits. Forces suppliers to move to China, destroying American jobs. Discriminates against female managers. Refuses to pay overtime work, etc. Totally opposite of what Apple stands for.

Why would Apple wants to display its products in a store where there are no attendants? They might as well sell the iPads in a self-serve kiosk.

No to Wal-Mart. Say it isn't so!

Haven't you seen the full line of iPods in the self service kiosks at Macy's stores??
  • Reply 25 of 71
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I would rather not see Apples products degraded by being sold in such a 3rd rate store. Walmart is the place you go to see junk microsoft products.

Unlike you and those who expressed similar views in the past, Apple does not share the same opinion. Even in the presence of Apple Store as retail, these stores do not even begin to reach a percent of the potential target consumers of Apple.

It is one thing to view all those commercials from Apple, but another more enhancing experience to actually hold and play with the real device.

The Apple Store came about because many retail outlets ignored Apple computers. And when it tried again during the iMac emergence as the computer to emulate, Sears is one of those that carried Apple products, but was short-lived. The sales people knew nothing about the Apple products.

The Apple Store changed all that. It was able to demonstrate that people who may not normally be buying an Apple product would buy them given a chance to be able to touch and play with the products. The overwhelming success of the iPod brought more converts.

The Apple Store was very profitable and more important, it introduced Apple products to the masses. Other retailers want to have a piece of the Apple products. This time, Apple demanded that there must be a focused "Store within a Store" exclusively to focus on Apple products and that dedicated staff must train to interact with the public,

Best Buy was the first to agree. This increased tremendously, the number of geographic locations, in the US and worldwide (through subsidiaries owned or collaborating with Best Buy, e.g., in the UK). To be frank, the "Store within a Store" is not really up to par to the Apple Store. However, these stores have increased the potential target customers that are able to view, touch and play with Apple products.

I have not been to any Walmart the past few years, so I would not know how the Walmart operate their own "Store within a Store" for Apple products. Apple can even reach more potential target customers (includinng China) through Walmart.

Contrary to popular myth, there are many rich or at least well-off people, or value conscious people who do shop at Walmart -- because in some places, Walmart may be the only large enough "electronic store" in town, for hundreds of miles around. If I to speculate, Walmart has uniform pricing or within a certain irrespective of the location. If there are other electronic stores near a Walmart, it is a very aggressive competitor.

Provided Apple imposed some strict guidelines and quality control, Apple benefits from the willingness of big retailers, like Walmart to carry Apple's products.

These outlets allow target consumers who may be enticed by Apple commercials that may then be reinforced by actually holding and trying such devices. It was not unusual actually for some to play with the devices in these outlets, then buy them through the internet (e.g, Amazon, Apple Store, or other online sites).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Good news to see Apple expanding its relationship with WalMart.

Now I can get an iPad for $1.37 less than I would at the Apple store!

I am not sure if you ever considered how Walmart decide where to setup their stores. More than saving money, proximity dictates where people buy their needs. And, unlike your derision, in the age of $3-4 a gallon for gas, people further restrict where they buy -- whether they save as much as you state, or pay even more.

CGC
  • Reply 26 of 71
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

I would rather not see Apples products degraded by being sold in such a 3rd rate store. Walmart is the place you go to see junk microsoft products.

That's just plain snooty. WalMart or not, at the rate iPads are selling it will only be a matter of weeks before you see one being toted around by some buttcrack-showing Larry the Cable Guy. Then where will your cachet be?

http://www.larrythecableguy.com/

And for those who can't wait to accessorize their iPads, here's a fashion preview:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Had a look at any economic forecasts recently? Apple is a business, not just a "magical" device maker and sales are made at Walmart also. There are far fewer Apple Stores, so this can only accelerate adoption of the iPad.

Yes I have and I'm not disputing the fact that a lot of people shop at walmart which would increase apple's exposure and generate more sales. I mearly stated that in my opinion it would cheapen their brand image, not that it really matters. I use apple products because I feel I get value for the money I spend, which of course is subjective.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

I really don't think people that shop at Walmart can afford Apple products anywho, much less appreciate them.

Here in Sarasota, FL which is up there amongst the wealthiest areas you can find in the US, Wal-mart is always packed. Judging by the cars in the parking lot most could afford an iPad. So perhaps your assessment may be incorrect. Yes I go there too, I love the cook it yourself Pizza they make
  • Reply 29 of 71
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I just can't believe some of you guys... seriously!!??

Walmart has been selling iPhones for quite some time... has it hurt Apple? HELL NO. So who gives a crap if Apple sells them in Walmart? It's their product, they can sell it wherever someone will allow it.

I mean really, what's it to you? How are you harmed by Walmart selling iPhones and iPads? You people seem to get all butthurt about Apple selling iPads in Walmart, yet I don't see you boycotting Apple for building them in China with cheap labor.

Personally, I like to save a buck, and I shop at Super Walmart as much as possible for grocery items. Shopping at Walmart leaves more money in my pocket to buy gadgets
  • Reply 30 of 71
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Here in Sarasota, FL which is up there amongst the wealthiest areas you can find in the US, Wal-mart is always packed. Judging by the cars in the parking lot most could afford an iPad. So perhaps your assessment may be incorrect. Yes I go there too, I love the cook it yourself Pizza they make

isn't the average age about 72.6 though?
  • Reply 31 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

isn't the average age about 72.6 though?

Nope, 41.

Plus Cougars! lol
  • Reply 32 of 71
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Seems to me that Apple would want to sell in both Target and Walmart. And Sears and Fry's and and and. I do find it curious that Apple and Target have not had a stronger relationship. They both value the style and design of modern life and their marketing shows this. Seems like a partnership made in marketing heaven, but Apple appears to have a stronger relationship with Best Buy and Walmart.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    I am not sure why many people on this board are anti-WalMart. Both Apple and WalMart are very similar where both companies want almost absolute control of the supply chain.
  • Reply 34 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

I am not sure why many people on this board are anti-WalMart. Both Apple and WalMart are very similar where both companies want almost absolute control of the supply chain.

Whatever works
  • Reply 35 of 71
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

And now Apple is promoting their low prices too - it was a BIG part of the initial iPad intro.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    it's about access

not only to the products but ACCESSORIES

self informed customers......

this is a product my grandma would want, their are youtube videos on how 90+ lady first computer was an ipad (virginia's ipad) and she loves it.

computer design is about seemless, invisible technology

apple is the solution, and i'm glad walmart has more choices for us "self informed" and i can just walk in and get what i want. now let's see.....bestbuy....oh yea....confusion city

how does that help apple.

get them out there

or.....put an apple store close to me. i have to drive to columbus OH to "go to a revival--to get the spirit"

for limited product line, oh yea

and more connected stuff....wow that makes me dizzy
  • Reply 37 of 71
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

This company has one of the worst record of every corporate mischief. Walmart only positive record is increasing sales any way possible. Denies employees of benefits. Forces suppliers to move to China, destroying American jobs. Discriminates against female managers. Refuses to pay overtime work, etc. Totally opposite of what Apple stands for.

Why would Apple wants to display its products in a store where there are no attendants? They might as well sell the iPads in a self-serve kiosk.

No to Wal-Mart. Say it isn't so!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cxc273 View Post

I'm not a huge fan of Wal-Mart personally, mostly because of some of its labor practices and business policies. Though I don't shop there, I do applaud the company's environmental efforts like pushing CFLs.

It doesn't matter to me whether Wal-Mart sells the iPad or not. No one is forcing you to shop there. So if you shop there and want to pick up your iPad there, fine. If not, there are plenty of other places to go.

This sort of slam is just such tired, uninformed, b-s based on old perceptions. Walmart has made huge improvements on just about every one of these dimensions.

Today, in the retailing sector, Walmart is arguably among the handful of the -- take a deep breath -- most socially responsible companies.

I am not kidding. Please inform yourselves (if you still disagree, fine; but at least do so in an informed way): http://walmartstores.com/sustainability/
  • Reply 38 of 71
    neillwdneillwd Posts: 45member
    I don't think so.

I work at Walmart in electronics sales and I can tell you we sell a lot of iPods. Just this past Mother's day weekend we sold our stock of Nanos and most of the Touches. Walmart doesn't represent cheap it represents value. Our customers want top quality at a value price and we try our best to offer them that.

I would love to have the iPad to offer to my customers. Many customers are asking about it. And, if given a chance, we could sell a lot of Mini's and MacBooks. FYI we sell LED and Plasma TVs so fast we can't hardly keep them in stock. And customers buy the $500 to $900 laptops and desktops we offer every day.

You really should judge Walmart from your own experience instead of repeating the anti Walmart propaganda. I dare you to shop Walmart for the value.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Good news to see Apple expanding its relationship with WalMart.

but they aren't. at least not confirmed.

read the article. it says that Walmart hopes Apple will let them carry the ipad. not that a deal has been made.

that say, given that they carry ipods etc, and even iphones in at least some areas, I wouldn't be surprised if they carry at least the wifi models. Despite the ghetto depiction of Walmart it covers a range of items and price points. Particularly in smaller areas that have no best buys, apple stores etc
  • Reply 40 of 71
    kyle172kyle172 Posts: 64member
    I've had plenty of people asking for iPads at Wal-Mart. This article is about the iPad selling in Wal-Mart. What your personal opioun about Walmart has nothing to do with the iPad. So there is no need to bring it up here. This is a Apple forum for Apple customers not a place to moan and grown about Wal-mart