Seagate has 3TB SAS drives on Roadmap

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.anandtech.com/print/3713

Quote:

The quest for storage is almost a never ending saga. Dubbed the Constellation-ES, the replacement for the Seagate Barracuda-ES, the drive is expected to arrive later this year with a 7200 RPM rotation speed, and a 6Gbit/s SAS interface. A 1TB version of the 2.5" Barracuda-ES is also expected to arrive around the mid year point.

A 3TB drive would suggest an increase in maximum platter size, from the current 500GB limit. If you remember back that far, the increase in density was due to a change in bit alignment, from horizontal to vertical, to counter the superparamagnetic effect. Hitachi made an excellent and funny flash animation to describe the technology. The feeling is that the increase in platter size is an extension of that technology, rather than a new physical property being exploited.

Depending on how quickly these new hard drives hit the enterprise sector, we could see consumer 3TB hard drives by the end of the year as a positive estimate. However, 17GB/$ ($175 a unit) or a price comparable to current 2TB hard drives would be required for consumer market acceptance. Whether people require 3TB is another matter - video editors, professional photographers, or just for storing your movie and blu-ray collection are possibilities.

I'll take six...thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    IMHO error rates become a concern at these densities.

Backup is another concern - hose a 3TB drive and there goes everything! (or if it's lost, stolen, etc.)

At any rate, of course the better capacity and affordability is welcome. Applications just have to scale up to take advantage of these mainframe-like capacities.

SAS stands for "Serial attached SCSI" - not a typical desktop interface, but I'm sure SATA versions will follow.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Wait until you see how long rebuild times for parity striping are with arrays full of 3TB discs. Ouch. wouldn't be surprised to see them go on for nearly two days.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

http://www.anandtech.com/print/3713

I'll take six...thank you.

What is notable is that this would be consumer usage and I wouldn't be extremely concerned about cost. That is if the drives are reliable, as I worry a bit about these high density drives.

Dave