Update for Apple's MacBook Air rumored to arrive Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 81 of 103
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrumbleGus View Post

What a stunning ignorance of the technical differences between the Nvidia9400/Core2Duo and the underpowered chips that you find in netbooks. The cramped, crappy keyboards and screens you find on netbooks simply cannot be compared to the LED screen and properly sized keyboard found on the MBA.

Good points. They are different markets completely, considering the difference in price. While the Air is very underpowered, it is intended to be a "real notebook" computer, and to be used as such. And it is priced as such.

A Netbook, OTOH, costs very little, and can be easily positioned as the second device to bring to the coffee shop, or to leave lying on the couch, or to give to a high-school kid for video chat, or whatever.

The Air is not positioned as an impulse-purchase pretty cool little computer - it is positioned as a complete laptop experience.
  • Reply 82 of 103
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The 13" MacBook Pro outsells the MacBook Air by about 2:1.

Wow!

I'm really surprised by that.
  • Reply 83 of 103
    tim68tim68 Posts: 17member
    Am I the only one excited for the possibility of a 27" Cinema Display? I just turned down morning sex with my girlfriend to run to my computer and check Apple.com for the new ACD. Editing on two 24"s is nice, but one 27" and a 24", or even one 27" and two 24"s if I could figure out how to do it, amazing. I could have one screen for the timeline and canvas, one screen for effects, clips, and audio levels, and one screen for a full canvas. I'm drooling on my keyboard.
  • Reply 84 of 103
    toomeyndtoomeynd Posts: 12member
    So does this mean it isn't happening today?
  • Reply 85 of 103
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post

So does this mean it isn't happening today?

Doesn't seem like it ... rumors
  • Reply 86 of 103
    I have an MBAir and would carry no other MAC on the 100,000+ miles I travel each year. Weight is the big factor for me, and before the Air came out, I did my job with 2.5--3lb Sony/Lenovo machines with a Linux port. The difference between 3 and 4 lbs is huge if you are carrying that extra pound through airports.

On the other hand, if Apple wants to sell me a 2lb, carbon-fiber, somewhat slow air for $3K, I am in!

The Air is way, way better. No more waiting for some guy to finish the driver I need from his dorm room, no more wondering if my wireless will stop working with the next upgrade, etc.

However, if Jobs kills the Air, I'm back to Linux. The difference between the Air and the IPad is that one is a real computer with a file system, an editor, a choice of web browsers/mail clients/... which runs stuff like MATLAB/ppt/tex/word/ and other stuff I need to get my job done.

I was hoping for a 256K ssd + new cpu + longer batter life for the same price. I was ready to buy one today.
  • Reply 87 of 103
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Wow!

I'm really surprised by that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 13" sells at an even better ratio over the MBA. The Mac Book AIR is a machine only a technophobe CEO could love. Or those with an extremely limited set of computing demands.

If you are taking a design class and the teach asked for an example of a machine where design won out over function, Mac Book AIR would be the best possible answer you could come up with. The vast majority of net-books are more functional.

Apple could address that with a major overhaul of the AIR but I don't expect that to happen. The absolute best result would be to switch to one of AMD's coming Fusion processors. That might help a bit but the real issue is that the rest of the machine needs to balance out. Especially with respect to SSD storage, RAM and ports. The next technology round ought to allow Apple to address all of these issues completely.

Dave
  • Reply 88 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tim68 View Post

Am I the only one excited for the possibility of a 27" Cinema Display? I just turned down morning sex with my girlfriend to run to my computer and check Apple.com for the new ACD. Editing on two 24"s is nice, but one 27" and a 24", or even one 27" and two 24"s if I could figure out how to do it, amazing. I could have one screen for the timeline and canvas, one screen for effects, clips, and audio levels, and one screen for a full canvas. I'm drooling on my keyboard.

What a looser. You might as well post her phone number here and E-Mail address because with your attitude she won't be your girl for long. Besides why does doing one exclude the other?

Dave
  • Reply 89 of 103
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    dulcamara :

I agree. The Air is an awesome machine that gets lots of work done for lots of people who don't need some of the extras on a MBP, and the weight savings is very noticeable over time, even if you just haul it around town like I do.

Mine is used for light stuff like script-writing, outlining and the like. It's also used for making drafts of my video work (called animatics) using ToonBoom Studio for animation and Logic Express for recording and editing of audio and Garageband for scoring sample background music. It handles it all with ease.

My work requires a lot of hand-drawn graphics so I use the Air in combo with a Wacom tablet to get some of the draft artwork done wherever I am, when the creativity urge hits. The combined weight of the MBA and the tablet is less than the 13" MBP.

Once I get my iPad on May 28th (if all goes to plan and Apple doesn't delay things again), I will likely be able to get some of my work done on it (indeed, I've used my iPhone for great stuff). However, it will never replace the Air. The naysayers are out there and they are very vocal and are entitled to their opinion. However, many Air owners know just how much the machine can do.
  • Reply 90 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dulcamara View Post

I have an MBAir and would carry no other MAC on the 100,000+ miles I travel each year. Weight is the big factor for me, and before the Air came out, I did my job with 2.5--3lb Sony/Lenovo machines with a Linux port. The difference between 3 and 4 lbs is huge if you are carrying that extra pound through airports.

When you get off the plane after one of your trips go to the gym. Seriously. I'm not trying to discount the reality that the weight makes a difference but a pound here or there is not and should not be a huge problem.

Quote:

On the other hand, if Apple wants to sell me a 2lb, carbon-fiber, somewhat slow air for $3K, I am in!

It is a nice thought but realize that Apple is a Green company now a days. Carbon fiber would put them in a difficult marketing position. It isn't a bad idea form a consumers stand point but could be considered anti environment by the uninformed crowd.

Quote:

The Air is way, way better. No more waiting for some guy to finish the driver I need from his dorm room, no more wondering if my wireless will stop working with the next upgrade, etc.

Apple has been known to break things too. The difference of course is that you can yell at them. As a side step tot he driver problem this is where I think the AMD hardware might actually be a big advantage for Apple and Linux users.

Quote:

However, if Jobs kills the Air, I'm back to Linux. The difference between the Air and the IPad is that one is a real computer with a file system, an editor, a choice of web browsers/mail clients/... which runs stuff like MATLAB/ppt/tex/word/ and other stuff I need to get my job done.

I don't think they will kill it. Rather I'm hoping they see the wisdom in refactoring the machine to make it more usable. Usability and wide appeal with respect to customers is the key to keeping AIR viable.

Personally though I think the thing Apple really should looking into is making the 13" MBP a suitable replacement. That is find a way to lighten the machine but yet keep its flexibility.

Quote:

I was hoping for a 256K ssd + new cpu + longer batter life for the same price. I was ready to buy one today.

Yes it is nice to wish for such a machine but I don't think it is possible at the moment. Well the 256K disk is but the rest of the machine would have update issues. My understanding is that the Intel CPU is late, even if it comes there is no certainty that the battery life would be better. Besides I would have to say it is time to go with more RAM in the machine too.

I'm still thinking the best thing going is for Apple to wait for Fusion from AMD if the GPU meets expectations. By expectations I mean more than just a fast GPU but also one that supplies video decode acceleration, and is a good OpenCL player. OpenCL is actually a key component of making Fusion a viable player, and AMD is working real hard on this.

Unfortunately I'm expecting another Core 2 with a new GPU, in other words a modest bump.

Dave
  • Reply 91 of 103
    tim68tim68 Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What a looser. You might as well post her phone number here and E-Mail address because with your attitude she won't be your girl for long. Besides why does doing one exclude the other?

Dave

I just got called looser (he misspelled 'loser') by a man whose self proclaimed handle is Wizard69. This is why I both love and hate internet forums.

Here's hoping for the 27" Cinema Display next week. I am willing to do horrible, disgusting things to make it mine.
  • Reply 92 of 103
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

When you get off the plane after one of your trips go to the gym. Seriously. I'm not trying to discount the reality that the weight makes a difference but a pound here or there is not and should not be a huge problem.

The huge problem is the 8kg carryon limit imposed by so many airlines. I would be fine with a 20kg roll-aboard. However, the 8kg limit makes the MBA functional in situations where the 13" MBP is not functional at all.
  • Reply 93 of 103
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

The huge problem is the 8kg carryon limit imposed by so many airlines. I would be fine with a 20kg roll-aboard. However, the 8kg limit makes the MBA functional in situations where the 13" MBP is not functional at all.

There is no disputing the fact that the MBA is a better choice for frequent air travellers who have limited computing requirements but need more than just web and email access.

However, given that the business air travel market has shrunk considerably (and the airlines seem to be doing their best to shrink it further) I seriously doubt it makes sense to keep the MBA in production. Apple is making lots of money, but nobody wants to see a return to the unfocused days of the Performa.
  • Reply 94 of 103
    Quote:

I find the lower weight is great just walking around town. Had a similar comment last year about this and exercise; I can carry a 20kg sack up a mountain with ease, so it ain't an exercise problem. One pound makes a huge difference over a day. The Air is not only lighter, but takes up less space than an MBP 13". This is even greater when you consider the power bricks that come with each: that for the MBA is far smaller and lighter. Have both computers on a table behind me so I know first hand.
  • Reply 95 of 103
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Well it's Wednesday and no MacBook Air announcement happened yesterday. Anyone surprised?

I hate rumors.
  • Reply 96 of 103
    Here at AI, we live for them. Then find new ones!
  • Reply 97 of 103
    Quote:

To be honest around here physical size is usually what limits carryons. Sadly with all the security limitations we have to deal with now, and the rate of increasing restrictions, we will all soon be required to travel naked. Not to be funny but that is pretty much the result of some of the new intrusive technologies.

Dave
  • Reply 98 of 103
    Frankly I'm not sure people understand the rest of use when we try to point out AIRs issues. If Apple where to address several of the real issues the platform has it would be far more appealing to the average user.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

There is no disputing the fact that the MBA is a better choice for frequent air travellers who have limited computing requirements but need more than just web and email access.

I can agree that is does well in that regards but the whole point I have is that the devices limitations restrict its usefulness to a thin population of potential users. For example engineers travel a lot with computers in the effort to support equipment in the field, there you simply need more than one port. Note: the use of a hub is not acceptable for a number of reasons so please don't suggest that. As good as AIR is for some users it is completely useless for a wide variety of other users who also travel frequently.
    Quote:

However, given that the business air travel market has shrunk considerably (and the airlines seem to be doing their best to shrink it further) I seriously doubt it makes sense to keep the MBA in production. Apple is making lots of money, but nobody wants to see a return to the unfocused days of the Performa.

Actually much of that field engineering that I spoke to above is now done over the net so that is another reason air travel for business is shrinking. However I don't think that justifies your conclusion that keeping AIR in production doesn't make sense. Rather Apple needs an AIR like machine that appeals to more people. Really what I'm talking about is a machine with Ethernet and one more USB port.

Or they could simply make the 13" machine more traveler friendly. I really don't care to be honest which way they go, because I'm out of the laptop market for at least another year. However I'd like to see the product line going in the right direction so that when that time comes I will have choices that make sense.

Dave
  • Reply 99 of 103
    The info could be correct but the ship date is simply wrong. Or Apple could be on a leak hunt. Finally the idea that different hardware than the Air is coming could be true.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Well it's Wednesday and no MacBook Air announcement happened yesterday. Anyone surprised?

I hate rumors.

Surprised - no. It is the idea that even if an AIR was coming I doubt it would be something to get excited about. The problem of course being the right hardware to stuff in the machine to make it exceedingly attractive technology wise.

Frankly I wish I was wrong here and that Apple has strong armed Intel and Nvidia into a contract to supply a special Arrandale chip to run the machine with an Nvidia GPU. That is an Arrandale that deletes the integrated GPU for something that works half decently. I'd be happy if they put a NVidia die right in the same package as the CPU chip.

Dave
  • Reply 100 of 103
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

Frankly I wish I was wrong here and that Apple has strong armed Intel and Nvidia into a contract to supply a special Arrandale chip to run the machine with an Nvidia GPU. That is an Arrandale that deletes the integrated GPU for something that works half decently. I'd be happy if they put a NVidia die right in the same package as the CPU chip.

There is zero chance of that happening. I'm hoping for better integrated graphics from Intel.