RAM and SSD upgrades biggest bang for the buck on new MBP?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I recently bought the new 13" MBP and have been looking at upgrades. I bought it standard so I could walk out with it that day, but I've been thinking about two main changes: RAM and a SSD hard drive. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Intel X25-M 160gb SSD, it looks like the best GB per $ ($424 for 160GB). I know that will show great results. Is a RAM upgrade also necessary for improved speed and performance? If so what is the best RAM to change to? I'm looking at either getting 1 4GB card for a total of 6GB or getting the pair for 8GB. I don't want to drop $300+ if it isn't going to do much for me.

I mostly use the MBP for word processing, internet, email, etc.; but I want a bit snappier and quicker performance than what I'm getting out of stock. It is possible (likely) I will get into music making/mixing on this machine.

Thanks for the help,

James

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jthomasajthomasa Posts: 7member
    I should also mention that I will be running Windows 7 in a virtual environment at times for access to work websites/servers that require IE and an access card that only works in windows.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    vsighivsighi Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jthomasa View Post

I recently bought the new 13" MBP and have been looking at upgrades. I bought it standard so I could walk out with it that day, but I've been thinking about two main changes: RAM and a SSD hard drive. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Intel X25-M 160gb SSD, it looks like the best GB per $ ($424 for 160GB). I know that will show great results. Is a RAM upgrade also necessary for improved speed and performance? If so what is the best RAM to change to? I'm looking at either getting 1 4GB card for a total of 6GB or getting the pair for 8GB. I don't want to drop $300+ if it isn't going to do much for me.

I mostly use the MBP for word processing, internet, email, etc.; but I want a bit snappier and quicker performance than what I'm getting out of stock. It is possible (likely) I will get into music making/mixing on this machine.

Thanks for the help,

James

Dude, sound like you building a gaming laptop...all sound good except the Window 7 that is junk.

Also why not spending $300 more and get that 15" with nVidia auto switch. It look like you not financial hurt..!?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jthomasajthomasa Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vsighi View Post

Dude, sound like you building a gaming laptop...all sound good except the Window 7 that is junk.

Also why not spending $300 more and get that 15" with nVidia auto switch. It look like you not financial hurt..!?

I don't really game much, might get into Eve, otherwise I like older games. I very seriously considered the 15" i5, but the size of the 13" is just lovely to me. I'm thinking of putting XP on it, I need to have some sort of Windows (unfortunately) for access to work websites.