Hulu has no plans to support iPad browser with HTML5

Comments

• Reply 41 of 129
    awmawmawmawm Posts: 67member
    Hulu as well as anyone else will move to where the money flows, whether it is Flash, HTML5 or anything else that ensures a significant user base. Stating that only Flash can achieve their needs is hardly true. All they have to do is adjust their model to the iPad and the advertising money is flowing from there, too. Millions of iPad users will be hard for Hulu to ignore...
  • Reply 42 of 129
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    hulu's nice, but they really should invest some money in html5. Nobody is asking them to abandon flash, but if they could have a stripped down version of the site only accessible by ipad, I doubt the content will be easily stolen. I mean really, right now, the content can be stolen with screen recorders and an OK sound card. It's not worth the trouble though if the content is available to everyone for free.

I don't understand the people at hulu, I really don't. It used to work great in skyfire on my windows mobile phone, then for no reason they blocked the skyfire browser. I'm still seeing the same ads, so what gives?

Hulu's business model can work, they just need the content (which will draw in viewers of ads.)
  • Reply 43 of 129
    When Steve Jobs says "Jump!", only chumps ask "How high?"

Smart people ask "Why?"

And the answer is, according to Apple, to get some 16% of the mobile market.

For that the NYT spent how much remaking their site?

Hulu's pretty smart on this. After all, why spend all that money just to replace one proprietary video format for another?
  • Reply 44 of 129
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Get a Macbook pro. Life without walls.

You are one bitter hater. Hulu cannot NOT support the iPhone and the iPad. Apple knows it and so does Hulu. There are too many of the device out there already. Money talks and bullshit walks, just like Adobe's little "We -heart- Apple" ad campaign that debuted today.
  • Reply 45 of 129
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Are you upset at Apple too because the movies in their itunes store also have DRM?

At least iTunes is it's own app, and you can choose to use it or not. Adobe, expects everyone to carry Flash weither they like it or not.

iTunes doesn't crash every 10 minutes either.
  • Reply 46 of 129
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

This forum is going down a typical path. If Apple doesn't allow you to have something, then you didn't want it anyway.

So you are okay with Adobe claiming "We are the Web" and basically saying you MUST use Flash if you want to view any video on the internet? And you hate Apple for saying no to that proposition?
  • Reply 47 of 129
    Well, that's it... no point in buying an iPad now... no Hulu? Why would anyone want this now... this thing is a guaranteed bust!!!!! (s/c)
  • Reply 48 of 129
    cedigercediger Posts: 1member
    You might want to update your story. Looks like Hulu didn't retract the story, they just retitled it from "Pardon the Dust" to "Pardon our Dust" which changed the URL. The story can be found on the Hulu blog right now at the following URL:

http://blog.hulu.com/2010/05/13/pardon-our-dust/
  • Reply 49 of 129
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    They don't have to use HTML5 video to stream to the iPhone or iPad. They only need to stream raw H.264 with no wrapper and QuickTime will play it with no problem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

hulu's nice, but they really should invest some money in html5. Nobody is asking them to abandon flash, but if they could have a stripped down version of the site only accessible by ipad, I doubt the content will be easily stolen. I mean really, right now, the content can be stolen with screen recorders and an OK sound card. It's not worth the trouble though if the content is available to everyone for free.

• Reply 50 of 129
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

At least iTunes is it's own app, and you can choose to use it or not. Adobe, expects everyone to carry Flash weither they like it or not.

iTunes doesn't crash every 10 minutes either.

Oh come on, Macs do not crash. And yes, you can also choose not to use Flash.
  • Reply 51 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

And the answer is, according to Apple, to get some 16% of the mobile market.

Apple has 60% of the mobile web.

Quote:

For that the NYT spent how much remaking their site?

Streaming H.264 without Flash isn't exclusively for the iPhone, it's for all mobile devices.

Quote:

Hulu's pretty smart on this. After all, why spend all that money just to replace one proprietary video format for another?

What proprietary video format are you talking about? There is nothing proprietary about HTML5. Hulu already uses H.264. The only difference is they would stream it without a Flash wrapper which locks the video in DRM and forces you to watch commercials.
  • Reply 52 of 129
    moo083moo083 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Are you upset at Apple too because the movies in their itunes store also have DRM?

Actually, I'm upset at Apple for DRM, but not at Hulu. When I buy a show on iTunes, I am buying the show. When I watch something on Hulu, it is a streaming video. On Hulu, you can understand why they would need DRM.
  • Reply 53 of 129
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

They don't have to use HTML5 video to stream to the iPhone or iPad. They only need to stream raw H.264 with no wrapper and QuickTime will play it with no problem.

cool beans, but the commercial breaks would need to be part of the content at that point. Right now their system pauses the video, presents the commercial, and continues on. What you speak of is basically streaming the video file.
  • Reply 54 of 129
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Of course it would be nice if they offered an iPhone/iPad app, but there's always Netflix.
  • Reply 55 of 129
    moo083moo083 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Of course it would be nice if they offered an iPhone/iPad app, but there's always Netflix.

Still waiting for the not quite promised iPhone app (they hinted, but haven't really announced anything yet).
  • Reply 56 of 129
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    What a coincidence! I have no plans to pay Hulu for a subscription.

What're the odds?
  • Reply 57 of 129
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    "Hulu has no plans to support iPad browser with HTML5"

Huh? No body is expecting Hulu to "support the iPad browser with HTML5", what are you talking about?

What people were expecting was for Hulu to make a Hulu app for the iPad, with H.264 encoded video. And please don't tell us that you can't DRM H.264 video, Hulu, because we already know that's a lie. It's what Apple is already doing with their TV shows in iTunes, for Gods sake!
  • Reply 58 of 129
    The app itself could pause the show and force you to watch the commercial, the same way Flash does.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

cool beans, but the commercial breaks would need to be part of the content at that point. Right now their system pauses the video, presents the commercial, and continues on. What you speak of is basically streaming the video file.

• Reply 59 of 129
    People really need to read the iTunes terms and conditions. Not just press agree to get past it. You don't own the show. You have only purchased a limited license to watch it.

Apple has no choice in using DRM. They don't own the show either and would not be permitted to sell them without DRM.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moo083 View Post

Actually, I'm upset at Apple for DRM, but not at Hulu. When I buy a show on iTunes, I am buying the show. When I watch something on Hulu, it is a streaming video. On Hulu, you can understand why they would need DRM.

• Reply 60 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The app itself could pause the show and force you to watch the commercial, the same way Flash does.

I have an idea for a *new* video distribution company. It would allow you to download, not stream, the content using a proprietary DRM and player. The downside is that you need a new player, the upside is that free content could be taken with you anywhere and viewed offline. What I have in mind is the video being broken down into sections and tailored commercials put in to fit the content and viewer's demographic data. It would be exploding, like iTunes movie rentals so you have x-many days to watch it and x-many hours to complete it, and you couldn't FF through ads.