Mobileme to go free?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
MacDaily says they've received a rumor that Mobileme may go free

I paid money for the Family Pack but i'm not above getting a refund

Having Mobileme for free changes a LOT. It means that rather than developers rolling their own OTA sync for forcing their customer to do Wifi sync for financial expediency they would have a proven sync platform in Mobileme to leverage.

This rumor is somewhat believable because Apple has that humungous NC datacenter being built. Mobileme is a value add to anyone with a iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.

They could even give out basic features for free and then add in a bunch of stuff for the small monthly nominal charge. Sync should be free as well as "Find my ixxx" since these are such good selling features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

MacDaily says they've received a rumor that Mobileme may go free

I paid money for the Family Pack but i'm not above getting a refund

Having Mobileme for free changes a LOT. It means that rather than developers rolling their own OTA sync for forcing their customer to do Wifi sync for financial expediency they would have a proven sync platform in Mobileme to leverage.

This rumor is somewhat believable because Apple has that humungous NC datacenter being built. Mobileme is a value add to anyone with a iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.

They could even give out basic features for free and then add in a bunch of stuff for the small monthly nominal charge. Sync should be free as well as "Find my ixxx" since these are such good selling features.

Will depend on how ready their datacentres are to handle, what, anywhere from 10 to 50 million devices and many more users?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Will depend on how ready their datacentres are to handle, what, anywhere from 10 to 50 million devices and many more users?

Shouldn't be a problem if we're talking basic sync. Syncing contacts, calendar and app data shouldn't take up much bandwidth.

I think it's the iDisk and galleries that eat up a lot of storage of those can remain features of the premium MobileMe.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Shouldn't be a problem if we're talking basic sync. Syncing contacts, calendar and app data shouldn't take up much bandwidth.

I think it's the iDisk and galleries that eat up a lot of storage of those can remain features of the premium MobileMe.

Yeah, maybe email and basic cloud sync will be free, iDisk and Galleries premium features.

Some people are very confused by contact syncing especially on the PC, where you have to deal with Outlook, and then as well, how do you back up your Outlook Contacts and Calendars? Most people have no clue how to do that, me included because it's boll*cks.

Especially with how trendy the iPhone is and how clueless the buyers of such trendy things are, a lot of them just use the phone for months without bothering to sync at all... They're like, "Connect to computer wha...?" and then when they try to sync they're lost because they don't know where contacts or emails go, where to find photos and resync it, and all such madness because half the time they themselves don't know where Outlook, or worse, Windows Mail puts stuff.

PC iPhone users must be Apple's biggest Support pain in the butt. I'm not hatin', just sayin'.