Gizmodo affidavit says roommate's tip led police to iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 309
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

As it stands, though it was checkbook journalism, they did practice journalism and the damned parties are Hogan and Warner. Gizmodo is ancillary to any type of "trade Secrets" violation.

Being a journalist does not give you a free pass to commit a crime. Chen committed several felonies.
  • Reply 22 of 309
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Well the good news is Chen and Hogan are headed to a place where they will have a roof over their heads, 3 square meals a day and all the sex they could possibly want! Me personally, I like the circumference of my anus just the way it is...thank you very much!
  • Reply 23 of 309
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Like I said in a different post in a different thread, no one seems to care about the legal or moral merits of the issue. This is, and shall always be about whether a person likes Apple or hates them.

We didn't need any detailed information to know that under the law, Giz dealt in stolen merchandise. Now that we have more information, and that information is damning, not one defender of Giz will back off from that defense. If anything, they will dig in deeper and become even more shrill. Even in this thread, it has been suggested that Apple somehow did something wrong. There will no doubt be some still believing that Apple owes Giz an apology. Still others believe that Apple has no rights to trade secrets, patents, or anything else contributing to their success.

When the smoke clears, perhaps sooner rather than later, I suspect that there will be a steaming crater in the internet where Giz used to be. I also suspect that someone will go to jail, but it won't be the staff of Giz. No one will be happy with the outcome. The haters who were never going to buy one of these phones will declare loudly that because of Apple's NAZI campaign agains journalism and freedom, they will never buy another Apple product. At that point, things will more or less be back to normal.

Oh, and Apple will print money even faster than they are now.
  • Reply 24 of 309
    dan2236dan2236 Posts: 4member
    Are you all too much of Apple fanboys to realize what a damn snitch that roommate is? Seriously, I would NEVER call the cops on my roommate unless he killed someone. Capital crimes are NO crimes to betray your friends for.
  • Reply 25 of 309
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Gizmodo is in far deeper trouble than just that. Apple stated to the police that the prototype was invaluable and would cause lost sales from the 3GS.

Brian Lam wrote an email to Jobs stating that he knew it would cause lost sales. Not only that but, in the email, he was seemingly trying to blackmail Jobs into giving Gizmodo better access (in exchange for getting the phone back sooner) while trying to get confirmation that this was the next iPhone so they could go ahead with the story.

This is also including that Gizmodo gave back a bag of parts of what was originally a whole iPhone, took photos, posted it on the web possibly revealing trade secrets. They even admitted they knew it was stolen in a posting on Gizmodo's website.

Gizmodo is in very, very deep trouble.

Right. And not only did Gizodo know they were buying stolen goods (over the $900 felony threshold) they KNEW they were dealing in trade secrets AND they made return of the stolen goods CONDITIONAL!
  • Reply 26 of 309
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

Being a journalist does not give you a free pass to commit a crime. Chen committed several felonies.

Chen committed, nothing, as all of you have pointed out via the facts available.

Brian Lam? Possibly. Hogan? By the california law and his actions, definitely.

But Chen just reported what he was told to report. Apparently you are independently wealthy and don't have a job.

Good for you.
  • Reply 27 of 309
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

LOL! What you said is completely wrong so I guess you're going to have to ignore everyone...

No. Just the loudest ones that sound like they belong on FOX.....
  • Reply 28 of 309
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dan2236 View Post

Are you all too much of Apple fanboys to realize what a damn snitch that roommate is? Seriously, I would NEVER call the cops on my roommate unless he killed someone. Capital crimes are NO crimes to betray your friends for.

2 questions

1. Are you 13 years old?

2. Do you know what a "capital crime" is?
  • Reply 29 of 309
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stormj View Post

I feel sorry for Chen. He was hung out to dry by Gizmodo. They gave him bad advice.

How do you figure? Seems to me that Chen has long been running around flattering himself that he's a journalist without having educated himself about journalistic ethics or about applicable laws. Who does he really have to blame but himself? (My mom is a trained journalist, and she would have never done what Chen did.)
  • Reply 30 of 309
    Quote:

Grow up. The room-mate was sitting there watching this guy do something that she knew was a crime, even if he didn't. And he was doing that with her computer. So if she was silent, it would have been her crime too, when they caught up with him. And they WERE going to catch up with him. HE was betraying HER by making her an accomplice. Not that you're rational enough to have noticed.

BTW: it's astounding what you reveal of yourself in your post. You betray appalling ignorance of right and wrong in the first two sentences, and an equally appalling ignorance of everything else in the third. Capital crimes? Because it involved capitalism, I presume? Wow. Just wow.
  • Reply 31 of 309
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Quote:

For heaven's sake, the guy used HER computer. I'm SURE they can trace it back to her and she's smart to contact the authority to clear herself from being classified as an accomplish.
  • Reply 32 of 309
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It seems that some were giving Hogan the benefit of the doubt until now. But now we see he knew who owned it and was trying to dispose of evidence.

Are these same gullible people still giving Chen the benefit of the doubt? I wonder what will come of police reading the emails on his computer they confiscated?
  • Reply 33 of 309
    Quote:

Gizmodo was just "along for the ride", for those that insist on the idiotic car analogy to this day.

Who else used "the idiotic car analogy" other than you? It's chilling to imagine that someone might be so blinded by partisanship that they want to believe that the party at the center of the misdeed--the party that went out of its way to let it be known they'd pay for illegal trade secrets and who then did precisely that--is the innocent party?

Seems that's akin to saying the cocaine grower and the cocaine user are both culpable, but the pusher isn't.
  • Reply 34 of 309
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berp View Post

Mirror, Mirror, tell me who is the Fairest...

What? You have poison apples?
  • Reply 35 of 309
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Who else used "the idiotic car analogy" other than you? It's chilling to imagine that someone might be so blinded by partisanship that they want to believe that the party at the center of the misdeed--the party that went out of its way to let it be known they'd pay for illegal trade secrets and who then did precisely that--is the innocent party?

Seems that's akin to saying the cocaine grower and the cocaine user are both culpable, but the pusher isn't.

Go backward. I never used that analogy and marked it for being idiotic. Setting up websites and stealing cars to test drive them and report on them? Only 12 years olds come up with such things.

Wait...weren't you one of them?
  • Reply 36 of 309
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Hmm.... destroying / hiding evidence? Doesn't sound like something one should be doing if they honestly thought it was a "lost" phone right?

Doubt it will silence the whining trolls though.
  • Reply 37 of 309
    ouroborosouroboros Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Grow up. The room-mate was sitting there watching this guy do something that she knew was a crime, even if he didn't. And he was doing that with her computer. So if she was silent, it would have been her crime too, when they caught up with him. And they WERE going to catch up with him. HE was betraying HER by making her an accomplice. Not that you're rational enough to have noticed.

BTW: it's astounding what you reveal of yourself in your post. You betray appalling ignorance of right and wrong in the first two sentences, and an equally appalling ignorance of everything else in the third. Capital crimes? Because it involved capitalism, I presume? Wow. Just wow.

Second.
  • Reply 38 of 309
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post

Second.

Just wanted to comment that you have an interesting name. The snake that eats itself. The representation of the inevitability of finite infinity.

Very creative.
  • Reply 39 of 309
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    There's no one in this story who's a hero or who looks good.

Apple was foolish to put an "invaluable device" in the hands of an obviously irresponsible kid.

The finder did not live up to his espoused Christian ideals when he shopped a device that was not his.

Gizmodo and Chen cared more about the story than doing what was right.

The cops and DA went overboard when they all our Gestapo on Chen's house and by their continued hardball tactics about a phone that someone in Vietnam can somehow get.

All those commenting on this forum look bad because they're so passionate about something that really does not matter one iota to them on a personal level.

And I look bad because I actually took the time to write this.

At least I'm done with it. I think I'll go play with my kids.
  • Reply 40 of 309
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Sorry, I choose to associate with honest people. I'm sorry you're more comfortable living with criminals.

Quote:

Chen committed, nothing, as all of you have pointed out via the facts available.

All the facts available indicate that Chen knowingly purchased stolen property. In what state would that NOT be a crime?

Granted, it needs to be proven in a court of law that he actually did what everyone claimed, but all the facts available point in that direction.

So how much is Gizmodo paying you?