Looking for a physics drawing tool

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm looking for some drawing software specialized in scientific and physics diagrams. I need to draw forces, vectors, tilted planes with sliding blocks and other schematics.

I don't need the tool to do maths calculations or to plot functions, data manipulations, etc. Just a drawing tool for diagrams, schematics, with the usual arrows, vectorial symbols etc.

What do you suggest ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    google's sketchup is free. Omnigraffle might be worth a look too.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

I'm looking for some drawing software specialized in scientific and physics diagrams. ...

There is no such software as you described. Nor is it needed. A standard vector graphics app, possibly with libraries of clip art for the basic objects that you want to include in your illustrations, is what you need.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

There is no such software as you described. Nor is it needed. A standard vector graphics app, possibly with libraries of clip art for the basic objects that you want to include in your illustrations, is what you need.

On the contrary, there is a specialized application designed to draw scientific (physics) diagrams. Sadly, I'm unable to remember its name and I can't find it anymore on the web. But I'm certain there is such an app out there.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

On the contrary, there is a specialized application designed to draw scientific (physics) diagrams. Sadly, I'm unable to remember its name and I can't find it anymore on the web. But I'm certain there is such an app out there.

What is a scientific diagram? Feynmann diagrams? Vector diagrams? Electronic instrumentation diagrams? Mechanical apparatus diagrams? What? Do you want to diagram theoretical or computational concepts or a laboratory setup? It would help enormously if you would state which course you are taking that motivates your need to draw diagrams.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

What is a scientific diagram? Feynmann diagrams? Vector diagrams? Electronic instrumentation diagrams? Mechanical apparatus diagrams? What? Do you want to diagram theoretical or computational concepts or a laboratory setup? It would help enormously if you would state which course you are taking that motivates your need to draw diagrams.

Good question ! I'm thinking about Feynmann-like diagrams, some electric circuits, mechanical schematics. All theoretical diagrams. Tilted planes, with angles, vectorial lines (velocity, force, acceleration, etc...).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Good question ! I'm thinking about Feynmann-like diagrams, some electric circuits, mechanical schematics. All theoretical diagrams. Tilted planes, with angles, vectorial lines (velocity, force, acceleration, etc...).

As I told you before, you need a generalized vector graphics app, possibly with libraries dedicated to the various areas of physics, electronics, and engineering.