Another leak from Vietnam reveals Apple's 13-inch MacBook refresh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's entry-level MacBook will soon receive a refresh with a 2.4GHz processor and Nvidia 320M mobile graphics and an LED backlit display, as revealed in a new leak.

The new MacBook was obtained by Tinte, the same website that also got their hands on a prototype of Apple's next-generation iPhone this week. The new MacBook (identified as model MacBook7,1) uses a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, up from the existing 2.26GHz model.

It also gets the same Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM as the MacBook Pro. That's an update from the existing GeForce 9400M of the "MacBook6,1" entry level white MacBook.

The new model also gets the improved, streamlined MagSafe connector as the latest MacBook Pro models, which points the adapter cord backward rather than perpendicular from the body. It has the same 1280x800 pixel widescreen display, a 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive, and 2GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM from the previous MacBook update.

Apple last updated its entry level MacBook line in October of 2009, giving the $999 machine a polycarbonate unibody design, LED-backlit display, multi-touch trackpad, and built-in battery with 7 hours of run time.

AppleInsider published an in-depth review of the latest MacBook Pros released last month detailing the CPU and graphics changes that now appear to be making their way into the entry level MacBook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 167
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    I must admit that all these leaks are definitely taking the fun out of "Oh, and one more thing".
  • Reply 2 of 167
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    As an AAPL owner, I'm concerned about the leaks that are coming out. These security lapses could certainly affect Apple's sales due to consumers holding off purchases now that they have a heads-up of what's coming down the pipeline.

Seems that this guy was not too bright about showing the box it came in. Even though the serial# was blanked out, there were other ID's in clear sight that could narrow down exactly where this came from.
  • Reply 3 of 167
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Looks like a great update... Hopefully, Apple can drop the price even further.
  • Reply 4 of 167
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

As an AAPL owner, I'm concerned about the leaks that are coming out. These security lapses could certainly affect Apple's sales due to consumers holding off purchases now that they have a heads-up of what's coming down the pipeline.

Seems that this guy was not too bright about showing the box it came in. Even though the serial# was blanked out, there were other ID's in clear sight that could narrow down exactly where this came from.

It would be interesting to hear how this unit got into this guys hands... I can't imagine there weren't multiple people involved.

You are right, Apple can (should be able to) narrow the unit down pretty good with the posting of the Airport, BT, and Ethernet IDs...
  • Reply 4 of 167
    yeah, now it's become "oh, another leak", with all those leakers going for the 15 min. of fame. Anyway, this curiosity has become hysterical.
  • Reply 6 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I must admit that all these leaks are definitely taking the fun out of "Oh, and one more thing".

Roadmaps are important for business reasons. If Apple wants to enter into the corporate world, they definitely need to ease up on the secrecy.
  • Reply 7 of 167
    ltkaffeeltkaffee Posts: 18member
    How is it that the refresh "gives" the Macbook an LED-backlit screen if it already had one? Also, what is a 2.$ GHz processor?

Does anyone proofread these articles?
  • Reply 8 of 167
    rd68krd68k Posts: 16member
    The guy erased serial numbers on the photo, but forgot to erase unique MAC addresses :-)
  • Reply 9 of 167
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rd68k View Post

The guy erased serial numbers on the photo, but forgot to erase unique MAC addresses :-)

Yeah, but what's more: he didn't cover up the BAR CODES that encode the serial number. That serial number is decoded in a few seconds by anyone who cares enough to do so...

...if he's an insider he'll have a knock on his door by the GeApPo shortly.

Similarly silly: with the iPhone leak the guy's face was on the pictures. It almost seems he wants to be caught.

Given that these images come from Vietnam, and the products are assembled in China, and in this case seem to be retail ready, you have to wonder if these are not taken somewhere from shipments in transit, which is where Apple has rather little leverage unless they want to build their own fleet of airplanes, and their own complete global logistics company.

However, since this thing is already in a retail box, etc. this means the new model is going to hit the market within a week or two, the typical buyer not being a geek who follows every little move Apple makes, so the impact on Apple is minor, but the constant buzz about the company certainly also has positive effects. If you want to be fishing, you got to feed the fish every now and then
  • Reply 10 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LtKaffee View Post

How is it that the refresh "gives" the Macbook an LED-backlit screen if it already had one? Also, what is a 2.$ GHz processor?

Does anyone proofread these articles?

thanks...i was going to write that as well

very strange article
  • Reply 11 of 167
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Roadmaps are important for business reasons. If Apple wants to enter into the corporate world, they definitely need to ease up on the secrecy.

And you know this because you own a company with $40 billion in cash?
  • Reply 12 of 167
    All smells too fishy to me. If they are "leaks" some new hire is about to lose an arm (or their job)......I dunno. Something about the boxes doesn't feel right by looking at them.
  • Reply 13 of 167
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

However, since this thing is already in a retail box, etc. this means the new model is going to hit the market within a week or two

The box may just be a leftover from current model used for convenience sake. The number of visible screws on the bottom of this thing seems very un-Applelike. It suggests prototype or testbed to me. I don't own a MacBook so can't be sure. Anybody?
  • Reply 14 of 167
    dan uffdan uff Posts: 11member
    Sorry guys, but the video does not look real to me - look at the bottom of the computer - to many "accessible" screws and it looks cheap. Not something that Apple would make.

Dan
  • Reply 15 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

And you know this because you own a company with $40 billion in cash?

More than likely he knows this because he is either an IT admistrator or a director of Technology, or a COO of a corporation.....and you have just shown how old you actually are by even asking that question.

Go play WOW and let the adults discuss real life.
  • Reply 16 of 167
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Sounds like a factory is going to be losing Apple's business.

I'm getting sick of all these leaks. I enjoy being surprised.
  • Reply 17 of 167
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The box may just be a leftover from current model used for convenience sake. The number of visible screws on the bottom of this thing seems very un-Applelike. It suggests prototype or testbed to me. I don't own a MacBook so can't be sure. Anybody?

Try having a look at the review of the previous model on Appleinsider:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...h_macbook.html

Look at the sixth photo of the Macbook on the page. Several screws just as with the Vietnamese photo.

I've done all the twenty seconds of work for you.
  • Reply 18 of 167
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rd68k View Post

Too much phở soup gets in the way of clear thinking

Mmm yummy
  • Reply 19 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Try having a look at the review of the previous model on Appleinsider:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...h_macbook.html

Look at the sixth photo of the Macbook on the page. Several screws just as with the Vietnamese photo.

I've done all the twenty seconds of work for you.

Thanks for help clearing this up, but the chiding in your close wasn't really necessary, was it?
  • Reply 20 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

More than likely he knows this because he is either an IT admistrator or a director of Technology, or a COO of a corporation.....and you have just shown how old you actually are by even asking that question.

Go play WOW and let the adults discuss real life.

What is wrong with you?