Another leak from Vietnam reveals Apple's 13-inch MacBook refresh

Comments

• Reply 21 of 167
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Hey how much you wanna bet these vids aren't even in Vietnam. Don't you remember the fake moon landings and Stanley Kubrick? Same thing. Anyone can put palm trees, Bee Gee's music and some Vietnamese dude in a back alley and say, "Hey, look! It's the guys from Vietnam again!". "Damn, guess we can't get to them this time", says Apple as Steve Jobs is talking to Steve Chen on the phone giving him props on a job well done during round one.
  • Reply 22 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    These are all photoshopped!

I'm tired of these blurry pics!

You can't make anything out in that video!

I call shenanigans!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

As an AAPL owner, I'm concerned about the leaks that are coming out. These security lapses could certainly affect Apple's sales due to consumers holding off purchases now that they have a heads-up of what's coming down the pipeline.

Seems that this guy was not too bright about showing the box it came in. Even though the serial# was blanked out, there were other ID's in clear sight that could narrow down exactly where this came from.

I'm not sure they can stop the leaks, but I'm not sure they need to either. Their sales are growing faster than the industry so they need more people and companies to support their needs. To keep running like a "boutique shop" will cost more and more money to achieve lesser results. The diseconomy of scale do achieve this isn't in their or the stockholder's interest.

I don't think it's a big deal. Most people will have no idea about these type leaks. They just don't care. They will lose a few sales, but the number they are gaining from growth will far outweigh anyone who is delaying their purchase.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Roadmaps are important for business reasons. If Apple wants to enter into the corporate world, they definitely need to ease up on the secrecy.

While I agree with your statement, I doubt it's the most important reason why Apple's not a popular contender in the corporate world. Until Apple leases their OS so that HW vendors can bid for large corporate orders i doubt Apple will get in there.
  • Reply 23 of 167
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quite respectable specs for the entry level.
  • Reply 24 of 167
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Oh horrors! Apple is doomed!?

• Reply 25 of 167
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Very interesting.

Some people in Vietnam must have some Chinese manufacturing contacts to get them this MacBook and the iPhone prototype so early!

Apple will likely track down the source of these product leaks to prevent an even bigger product to be exposed like this in the future.
  • Reply 26 of 167
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Thanks for help clearing this up, but the chiding in your close wasn't really necessary, was it?

It is necessary to lecture the lazy; maybe, just maybe they'll learn someday.
  • Reply 27 of 167
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

As an AAPL owner, I'm concerned about the leaks that are coming out.

Yes, as an owner of a couple hundred bucks worth of Apple stock you should be extremely affected...

(In my experience people with large stock portfolios do not comment on AI).
  • Reply 28 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

And you know this because you own a company with $40 billion in cash?

No, $42 billion

Seriously though, from speaking with people I know that do corporate build-outs, that is one hang up.

Not the most important one, but it's there in the scope of things. I just brought it up because the article was about leaks and such.

I think the most important is the initial cost involved to purchase. Most people I talk to do not think the TCO proposed benefits outweigh the initial costs when you consider buying a thousand or so PCs and laptops. They need a very compelling reason to leave the MS cycle, and Apple as of yet hasn't done that (with their computers.)

That said, iPhones have a somewhat predictable roadmap, consistent upgrade cycle, and they replace a plethora of devices, so you do see IT supporting them. The initial costs are roughly in-line with competition as well, so that helps. If they were way more expensive to get in the door, I'm not so sure you'd see IT welcoming them in.
  • Reply 29 of 167
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Vietnam again?!!!

Boys, we're movin in...
  • Reply 30 of 167
    glenemilglenemil Posts: 4member
    That power plug looks like a Chinese power plug... this box was probably meant for the PRC market. Whatever happened in between is up for speculation, but obviously I don't think Apple would be too happy with the Vietnamese being able to obtain such stuff repeatedly.
  • Reply 31 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

More than likely he knows this because he is either an IT admistrator or a director of Technology, or a COO of a corporation.....and you have just shown how old you actually are by even asking that question.

Go play WOW and let the adults discuss real life.

I think this meant he was joking around....

My wife's family owns an IT company with around 100 or so employees, and we've discussed Apple a few times, and I also have spoken with the IT administrator at a local college about it while I was attending some classes there. (We have a pretty good friendship now, actually.) I own my own business, but it is no where near the size of my wife's family's business, and it has nothing to do with IT.

Regardless, no one needs to be rude, it was just an opinion. Thank you for trying though.
  • Reply 32 of 167
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Thanks for help clearing this up, but the chiding in your close wasn't really necessary, was it?

You've made six times as many posts as I have on Appleinsider yet I knew that all I needed to answer your question was to refer to Appleinsider's earlier reviews.

I'm the relative newcomer yet the new student is educating the teacher.

As for chiding, I was stating the fact- something that I found out for you in twenty seconds.

I helpfully informed you where to find the answer and I hope it's no longer beyond your ability to do your own research.

I commend you for asking for help but the best help we can give others is that which helps them to help themselves!

Give someone a fish versus teaching them to fish etc...
  • Reply 33 of 167
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

What is wrong with you?

My guess? They keep forgetting their meds.

And I always find it hilarious when trolls use the time-tested "you must be a kid" approach to dismiss comments and/or posters not to their liking.

Buried somewhere in the basement of 1 Infiniti Loop is a pile of all the NDAs I signed over the years as an Apple Developer. I, and many others who had previously spent their time in corporate hell, despise technology roadmaps as they often lead to complacency. As in, "Oh, we don't need to fix that buggy software problem now. Let's wait until version XXX comes out. It will be so much easier then." In doing so, they look like heros to management, since they are not spending $$$ or man hours to fix the problem. Meanwhile, the folks that actually do the bulk of the work, and would benefit from the fix, just get screwed again.

Or, to put it another way. The idiot savant who leads the IT department of a large corporation I once worked for, still tells new hires to go out and buy a ThinkPad and install XP2 on it. And don't even think about a Mac. Those things are so unstable.

What a joke.
  • Reply 34 of 167
    owlowl Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Yeah, but what's more: he didn't cover up the BAR CODES that encode the serial number. That serial number is decoded in a few seconds by anyone who cares enough to do so...

I was thinking the same thing, in fact, I managed to decode the first barcode as 885909401574

but the rest aren't sharp enough to decode at this moment.

This guy must be crazy to post pictures of this.

BTW: Notice the bottom? It says Copyright 2009, which could mean it's fabricated.
  • Reply 35 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

No, $42 billion

Seriously though, from speaking with people I know that do corporate build-outs, that is one hang up.

Not the most important one, but it's there in the scope of things. I just brought it up because the article was about leaks and such.

I think the most important is the initial cost involved to purchase. Most people I talk to do not think the TCO proposed benefits outweigh the initial costs when you consider buying a thousand or so PCs and laptops. They need a very compelling reason to leave the MS cycle, and Apple as of yet hasn't done that (with their computers.)

That said, iPhones have a somewhat predictable roadmap, consistent upgrade cycle, and they replace a plethora of devices, so you do see IT supporting them. The initial costs are roughly in-line with competition as well, so that helps. If they were way more expensive to get in the door, I'm not so sure you'd see IT welcoming them in.

Good points all.

The whole "You MUST buy this, even though the other is much better" thing just strikes a nerve with me. It is a mentality that I have railed against my entire life. And from my perspective, I always approached a corporate solution from the benefits gained, not initial cost. I never have, and never will, offer a solution to a problem based on price alone.

It's an ongoing discussion over beers that I frequently have with high-level Intel folks.
  • Reply 36 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

You've made six times as many posts as I have on Appleinsider yet I knew that all I needed to answer your question was to refer to Appleinsider's earlier reviews.

I'm the relative newcomer yet the new student is educating the teacher.

As for chiding, I was stating the fact- something that I found out for you in twenty seconds.

I helpfully informed you where to find the answer and I hope it's no longer beyond your ability to do your own research.

I commend you for asking for help but the best help we can give others is that which helps them to help themselves!

Give someone a fish versus teaching them to fish etc...

Wow. You're going to fit in here really well.

Better yet: You can tune a piano, but you cannot Tuna Fish.
  • Reply 37 of 167
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    I'm curious about the SD on the label. I thought it might have stood for SD card reader but then I've seen it on the label for the 2008 Aluminium Macbook so presumably it stands for SuperDrive.

Why doesn't Apple remove this legacy designation since all Macbooks and Pros with the exception of the Air come with Superdrives anyway?

Maybe it's a legacy from when Powerbooks and iBooks had the option for non DVD writing Combo drives or it's a placeholder for if and when Blu-ray arrives on a Mac?

Speaking about Macbooks, this new Macbook is at the same spec as the 2008 Aluminium Macbook: it has the pluses of Firewire, better graphics and better screen but the 2.4GHz Alu Macbook still has the illuminated keys.
  • Reply 38 of 167
    bunnyturdbunnyturd Posts: 32member
    Time for Apple to crack down on these leaks.

Even though the serial number is blanked out... Apple can easily trace this unit base on Airport ID, Bluetooth ID, Ethernet ID, and even the bar code for the Serial Number.
  • Reply 39 of 167
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    This update is not unexpected, and is quite minor. My guess is that we see it this Tuesday.

A few years ago, Apple's MacBooks had Intel GMA 950 for integrated graphics. Then, Intel GMA X3100, followed by Nvidia 9400M, and now it is Nvidia 320M in the latest 13" MacBook Pro. After Apple starts using a new integrated graphics chip in the 13" MacBook (or Pro), they update their other products, one after the other.

Looks like the white MacBook will be next. I wonder when they will update the MacBook Air, and the Mac mini. I am especially waiting for the Mac mini. A Mac mini with 2.4Ghz processor, 4GB, and Nvidia 320M, at the current price point of $599 would be great.
  • Reply 40 of 167
    rei_vilorei_vilo Posts: 31member
    Hi!

Those leaks, real or fake , are just free ad on the information war.

All the Apple-fans website (of which, AppleInsider) provide free ad to Apple \.

Shall we ask for a refund for due service ?