Another leak from Vietnam reveals Apple's 13-inch MacBook refresh

Comments

• Reply 61 of 167
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LtKaffee View Post

How is it that the refresh "gives" the Macbook an LED-backlit screen if it already had one? Also, what is a 2.$ GHz processor?

Does anyone proofread these articles?

• Reply 62 of 167
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    i mean yeah, these leaks are a bit careless, but it's just a refresh, not a new product, i seriously doubt apple will try very hard to pursue this guy.
  • Reply 63 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Bus. tech roadmaps and Apple's marketing "style" of secrecy have nothing to do with one another. Apple's secrecy has been part and parcel of it's growth (ie, it has only helped the company; not hurt it) Further; it is common knowledge that Apple's primary focus is not on "business". (though that has certainly not stopped many businesses from adopting or integrating Apple technologies).

As to Apple's own roadmaps (where it would be of interest to IT); that's one of the reasons why Apple has WWDC.

While I appreciate you feeling the need to respond to something I wrote....

I never mentioned anything about it hurting Apple to be a very minor part of the corporate IT world, which they undoubtedly are. However, getting into DCs surely would not hurt them, would it?

Also, you say their primary focus is not on "business."

What do what I said and what you said have to do with each other? (rhetorical; see below.)

I said "if they want to enter corporate" and you say "they don't."

That's about it.
  • Reply 64 of 167
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    How did they get an English box in Vietnam? Is there a factory there? I though Macs were made at Foxxcon in Taiwan. Anyway I would say the specs seem right and are somewhat expected. I would really like to see a reintroduction of the BlackBook.

It used to be that Apple could hide manufacturing in China and no one would find out what they are cooking up (use fear to intimidate employees not to take anything out or let anyone in). Now that democracy, internet and money are abundant in Asia the leaks will keep growing. I think at some point apple will have to deal with not being able to keep stuff secret once it hits production and start introducing products as soon as design is approved (maybe right after the first prototype is made).

I agree however that roadmaps are BS and they never work out anyway, especially for an innovative company like apple, so I doubt we would ever see those.
  • Reply 65 of 167
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

As an AAPL owner, I'm concerned about the leaks that are coming out. These security lapses could certainly affect Apple's sales due to consumers holding off purchases now that they have a heads-up of what's coming down the pipeline.

Seems that this guy was not too bright about showing the box it came in. Even though the serial# was blanked out, there were other ID's in clear sight that could narrow down exactly where this came from.

Honestly, I think most consumers don't see many of the leaks. People who come to sites like this, yes, but they are likely more aware of a pending (or possible) update anyways, and buy tons of stuff to boot. Like many here, I love the anticipation and uncertainty of the secrecy; it has a flip side, though, where it can be incredibly frustrating for retailers and even support to keep up. Yes, the leaks are a problem, but they are not the biggest one facing the value of stock.

I love my Macs and iDevices in general and am just an ordinary customer with no stock in the company. If I were a stock holder, I would be worried about some of the media articles lately about Apple's change in character, it's increasing readiness to behave like the Microsoft it once denounced. I'd also be worried that sales overseas (eg, in Japan) are nowhere near what they could be because of problems with the behavior of, for example, Apple Japan (low quality control, rotten support, lackluster sales efforts). I'd also be concerned about the problems Apple is having with its factories in China (working conditions, possible poisonings, apparent high suicide rates, etc.). I'd also be worried that some of their offerings don't match the design standards set by their primary products (iWork for iPad is not getting good reviews, the docks are under scrutiny, the not-so-mighty Mighty Mouse); all of their offerings should have 4 stars or better on their site. I'd also be concerned that their Mac sales have not taken off like their iDevice sales despite having been a computer company for years. If Apple would spend a little less time, effort and money on its preoccupation with secrecy and apply a little more of these to improving their operations and thus their image, then sales would increase, benefitting the stockholders more.

Maybe I should buy a share so my voice would be heard...
  • Reply 66 of 167
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Homework for student: since you enjoy research, look up "gratuitous," "passive aggressive," and "presumptuous."

How ironic, aren't you being presumptuous about me, that I'm passive aggressive?

Quote:

Teaching someone to fish is different than acting like a jerk.

Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; calling names doesn't help.

Ok, we've all got hot under the collar so let me end this now.

I accept that I may have curtly expressed that what Robin wished for was so easily attainable.

In future I'll be more careful and gentle in what I respond to Robin so that he doesn't feel so easily hurt or offended.

I accept we all have our strengths and weaknesses, myself included.

Let's just try to get along and enjoy this great site about a great company that makes great products.
  • Reply 67 of 167
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

i mean yeah, these leaks are a bit careless, but it's just a refresh, not a new product, i seriously doubt apple will try very hard to pursue this guy.

I agree with you that it's not important for what's merely a refresh. However if I was at Apple I'd be thinking "if this source has leaked this and our forthcoming iPhone what else will they be prepared to leak"? So I think it does need to be addressed.

On a related note I was thinking, what would have happened if the lost prototype iPhone had been picked up by Dell, HTC or Motorola instead of Gizmondo?
  • Reply 68 of 167
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Yes, as an owner of a couple hundred bucks worth of Apple stock you should be extremely affected...

(In my experience people with large stock portfolios do not comment on AI).

You must be a youngster. I have @ 50k$ in AAPL stock. Its not hard if you have an IRA bought the stock at the right time.

BTW, while the leaks surprise me, I don't think they're a big deal for the stock. I imagine some heads will roll.
  • Reply 69 of 167
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

How ironic, aren't you being presumptuous about me, that I'm passive aggressive? In future I'll be more careful and gentle in what I respond to Robin so that he doesn't feel so easily hurt or offended. I accept we all have our strengths and weaknesses, myself included..

If it acts like a jerk when typing like a jerk....
  • Reply 70 of 167
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:

How ironic, aren't you being presumptuous about me, that I'm passive aggressive? . . . In future I'll be more careful and gentle in what I respond to Robin so that he doesn't feel so easily hurt or offended.

I rest my case.

Sorry, you had me until I read that last part. Anyway, I appreciate your copping to curtness and I will cop to being too thin skinned on this occasion. I don't mind being called out if I say something that is factually incorrect or unwarranted. All I ask for is civility. Thanks for reminding me that we're all on the same side here.
  • Reply 71 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Owl View Post

I was thinking the same thing, in fact, I managed to decode the first barcode as 885909401574

but the rest aren't sharp enough to decode at this moment.

This guy must be crazy to post pictures of this.

BTW: Notice the bottom? It says Copyright 2009, which could mean it's fabricated.

first thing...that would be the barcode...so that is a good thing to have...how did you figure that out? will be interested to see if this is a good UPC but the first 6 are correct for an Apple Product

secondly...the copyright 2009 is correct...the box was copyrighted in 2009...and besides as the Apple expert at Best Buy when the new MacBook Pro's came out couple weeks ago...they had boxes that had new labels placed over the previous model labels...because the boxes were labeled in advance and had to be changed before they were filled...so instead of trashing boxes that were already paid for...(and keeping them out of the dump) (Green Rating) they used them and just placed the newer specs sticker over the other one...the UPC/serial number Label is matched with the MacBook since it has the serial number on it...so it's not fabricated...it is prob real...because the prev gen MacBook and MacBook Pro 13" both had the same processor just different amenities

but great job on the UPC
  • Reply 72 of 167
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Apple's iPad may eat into Macbook sales. I know my next computer device purchase will be an iPad. One company has already made a cover for the iPad that turns it into a laptop with full keyboard.

We use our Macbook at home for the web, email, and the occasional document. The iPad does all of that nicely. Apple may need to further distinguish the Macbooks with new and interesting features. Maybe they can do dual displays, blu-ray super drives, HDMI connectosr, dual hard disks in a RAID 0 or 1 configuration as a BTO option, or 3D displays like the televisions now coming out.

Then again maybe Apple knows that the laptop's days are limited.

Rather than a case for making an iPad like a laptop I'd rather have one that makes it light an iMac and raises it up a bit to my eye level.
  • Reply 73 of 167
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    My next Apple purchase will be an iPad too. I have two work-related MacBooks laying around that since I retired I never use anymore. I use my iMac at home and my iPhone when I'm out and about. There will always be a place for laptops, but mostly for business. The iPad will fill a nice gap between the overkill of a laptop and the inconvenience of a smartphone's tiny screen.

Apple always seems to know best. Pact with the devil?
  • Reply 74 of 167
    Who was it that made the snarky comment about how anyone here who owns AAPL stock probably owns a few hundred dollars worth? So, because someone is posting in a forum like this, they must not be worth anything in the real world? If anything, that's projecting. I'm sure there are people here with portfolios nicer than some might expect. As annoying as some of the posters are in these boards, the information available actually is more useful for trading AAPL stock (and companies tied to AAPL) than what might be gleaned from other sources, market trends and global factors aside.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Roadmaps are important for business reasons. If Apple wants to enter into the corporate world, they definitely need to ease up on the secrecy.

It's a good thing Apple has people like you around to offer free advice on how to run a successful business.

I shouldn't have to point out that this underdog company so many of us once knew is now one of America's biggest corporations—and they got where they are today by doing things their own way, and this is no exception. Their secrecy has generated a level of fanaticism (bear witness to the site you now read) and media attention unlike anything else in the technology industry. They do not need to play by established rules; even well-established ones.
  • Reply 75 of 167
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

Except these are from the same dolts that pulled a Vietnamese Gizmodo with the iPhone.
  • Reply 76 of 167
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Apple's iPad may eat into Macbook sales.

Not a chance. A vast majority of iPad buyers did not get it to replace a computer because it can't. CNET or PC World (I forget which) did a survey poll recently.

My next computer purchase will be a computer. One that accesses every website in the world, not just Flash disabled ones.
  • Reply 77 of 167
    dempsondempson Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glenemil View Post

That power plug looks like a Chinese power plug... this box was probably meant for the PRC market. Whatever happened in between is up for speculation, but obviously I don't think Apple would be too happy with the Vietnamese being able to obtain such stuff repeatedly.

All text on the box is English. The power plug is the standard one for Australia and New Zealand, so it is probably an Australian one which has somehow ended up in Vietnam.
  • Reply 78 of 167
    dempsondempson Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Speaking about Macbooks, this new Macbook is at the same spec as the 2008 Aluminium Macbook: it has the pluses of Firewire, better graphics and better screen but the 2.4GHz Alu Macbook still has the illuminated keys.

The late 2009 MacBook (current model) dropped Firewire, and this leaked new model doesn't have it either (in the video, see the feature label on top of the box, or the side panel view).
  • Reply 79 of 167
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Quite respectable specs for the entry level.

Unfortunately the specs don't go up very far from there for more expensive models.
  • Reply 80 of 167
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:

How ironic, aren't you being presumptuous about me, that I'm passive aggressive?

Alas, so few people actually realize what passive aggressiveness is. But, there's no presumption required to determine if someone is being passive aggressive. It can be determined simply by observing their behavior. And, no, I don't think you are passive aggressive.