Another leak from Vietnam reveals Apple's 13-inch MacBook refresh

Comments

• Reply 81 of 167
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Alas, so few people actually realize what passive aggressiveness is. But, there's no presumption required to determine if someone is being passive aggressive. It can be determined simply by observing their behavior. And, no, I don't think you are passive aggressive.

Why don't you finish your thought and tell us what you think it is then rather than giving the impression that you do and we don't?

My understanding is that language is a part of behavior. A remark that is intended to cause harm, but is camouflaged by casual tone or surface politeness is passive-aggressive. That is what I was reacting to in the previous exchanges, exchanges I had hoped we were done with.

I don't know this, but my wife does. She is a PhD clinical psychologist and she calls me on this from time to time.
  • Reply 82 of 167
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dempson View Post

The late 2009 MacBook (current model) dropped Firewire, and this leaked new model doesn't have it either (in the video, see the feature label on top of the box, or the side panel view).

Yup, my bad, I was getting confused with the earlier plastic non unibody Macbooks.
  • Reply 83 of 167
    trrosentrrosen Posts: 32member
    It should be noted that this may not even be a leak. Apple has been known to start sending out minor revisions from inventory shortly before they've been announced. Usually its really just a matter of them not announcing the revision until all other supplies are used. It they announce this model Tuesday Id say thats all this is.

Question is did Apple screw up the box. I would think this would get a new model number or at least a /a or something but the box shows A1342(current model #) on the updated label. Odd!?
  • Reply 84 of 167
    1_ Jobs must be absolutely fuming at all these leaks and lost devices, even I find it disturbing. Stop - enough is enough.

2_ I try to avoid these articles and the photos, because it ruins the fun and surprise of watching the keynotes (or keynote blogs) as they happen live.
  • Reply 85 of 167
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TRRosen View Post

It should be noted that this may not even be a leak. Apple has been known to start sending out minor revisions from inventory shortly before they've been announced. Usually its really just a matter of them not announcing the revision until all other supplies are used. It they announce this model Tuesday Id say thats all this is.

That's one interpretation. Another is that this MacBook is stolen property because Apple did not sell it to anyone and has not authorized its sale either, yet the blog "obtained" a sealed pre-released unit that "fell off a truck," presumably.

P.S. Passive aggression FTW.
  • Reply 86 of 167
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I rest my case.

Sorry, you had me until I read that last part. Anyway, I appreciate your copping to curtness and I will cop to being too thin skinned on this occasion. I don't mind being called out if I say something that is factually incorrect or unwarranted. All I ask for is civility. Thanks for reminding me that we're all on the same side here

Thank you, you're a gentleman. I hope that justifybob and Doctor David heed your call for civility, it disturbs me how quickly they resort to name calling but they may retort that I just need a thicker skin. But we each have our own views, experiences and perspectives of the world, the key thing is how disruptive and respectful we are to each other.
  • Reply 87 of 167
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

As an AAPL owner, I'm concerned about the leaks that are coming out. These security lapses could certainly affect Apple's sales due to consumers holding off purchases now that they have a heads-up of what's coming down the pipeline.

Seems that this guy was not too bright about showing the box it came in. Even though the serial# was blanked out, there were other ID's in clear sight that could narrow down exactly where this came from.

He also showed his face!
  • Reply 88 of 167
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Sounds like a factory is going to be losing Apple's business.

I'm getting sick of all these leaks. I enjoy being surprised.

You might avoid reading the articles about leaked products then. Just a thot.
  • Reply 89 of 167
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Tell us something we don't know, leakers.
  • Reply 90 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

You might avoid reading the articles about leaked products then. Just a thot.

I understand your point and most such posts about not liking an article type can be easily avoided by not reading them, but in this case bdkennedy1 point is hard to deny since the title already gives away enough details to spoil the surprise.
  • Reply 91 of 167
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Yes, as an owner of a couple hundred bucks worth of Apple stock you should be extremely affected...

(In my experience people with large stock portfolios do not comment on AI).

Oh, no. There are more than a few stock millionaires who comment here regularly.
  • Reply 92 of 167
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

What was that saying about sarcasm and humour again?

Well it just haddock be you to bring in the fish joke

Just for the halibut.
  • Reply 93 of 167
    This is really poor form for these contract mfg companies to allow shit like this to happen. If I were Jobs I'd fire their asses and give the business to a company that can make their employees understand that they need to keep their damn mouth shut. They seriously need to make an example of the people leaking this crap.

This is not a good thing.

Z

On a side note.... the author of this video is a total DUMB ASS.... blocking out the S/N and P/N doesn't really help when the freaking BAR CODE is right there..... print the photo, whip out a bar code scanner.... and you have your numbers..... what a MORON. He must also realize he doesn't live in a country that isn't exactly well known for it's "Human Rights"....
  • Reply 94 of 167
    This shows that American made products should be made in America with more control and support of American products. I'm a long-time Apple-loving freak and I've always looked at Apple with this golden halo above their heads--all good, all-knowing and yes they are tarnished. I think a big deal would be to put people to work over here who have more pride in what is made here in American and would take better pride in their products
  • Reply 95 of 167
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoenix39 View Post

This shows that American made products should be made in America with more control and support of American products. I'm a long-time Apple-loving freak and I've always looked at Apple with this golden halo above their heads--all good, all-knowing and yes they are tarnished. I think a big deal would be to put people to work over here who have more pride in what is made here in American and would take better pride in their products

+1

just as a curiousity, I've wondered how much more it

would cost to at least assemble some items here. With

30b in the bank doing nothing, would seem to be possible. I know, I know not apple's concern.
  • Reply 96 of 167
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

It's interesting that the leaks are coming in video form now.

Also, I have not purchased a macbook in some time, do they come in that protective bag? I thought part of opening the box was seeing the unit when you opened it up with a protective plastic on the top. This is the only thing that seems fake to me.

I work for an Apple reseller so I can tell you all the packaging and unwrapping shown looks 100% legit, at least for the Asian market.
  • Reply 97 of 167
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

.... One company has already made a cover for the iPad that turns it into a laptop with full keyboard.....

Sorry for being off topic

I've been searching for such an item, please do share.

My thought is a BT keyboard with a touch pad to replacate basic touch screen features.

Would not use it all or most of the time, but would be nice for some light writing.

The regular BT keyboard presumes a mouse. But using a BT keyboard with the ipad makes it awkward (dare I say un-magical?) because no track pad or mouse. Have to reach up to the screen. Not very 'just works' like.

Yea I know, just get a MacBook, but I really really like the simplicity of the ipad for 95% of my computing tasks.
  • Reply 98 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TRRosen View Post

Question is did Apple screw up the box. I would think this would get a new model number or at least a /a or something but the box shows A1342(current model #) on the updated label. Odd!?

There's three bits of information. Serial number, Part number, and Model number.

Serial number, self explanatory.

The Model number is the same as the current one because that has something to do with the form factor of it, which is the same.

The thing that changes will be the Part number. Currently the MacBook Part number is MC207LL/A for USA and MC207ZP/A for Asia.

If somebody can decode the bar code under Part number that would be handy.

Edit: 4 parts of information, the biggest bar code is the UPC code.
  • Reply 99 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I wouldn't be too worried. there are several points noted that call into question whether the iphone was real

and this laptop is totally fake. he blanked out the part number, which would have actually validated that it was a new item and left the model number which confirms that it's the Fall 2009 version.

No, the model number is the same because that has to do with the form factor (see iFixit.com when searching for take-apart guides).

We need to decode the part number from the barcode.
  • Reply 100 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Owl View Post

I was thinking the same thing, in fact, I managed to decode the first barcode as 885909401574

but the rest aren't sharp enough to decode at this moment.

Great job, that's the UPC code.

8 85909 is common to Macbook family, 40157 4 is some other identifier

My Macbook Aluminium 2ghz UPC (not SERIAL) is

8 85909 22326 8