Another leak from Vietnam reveals Apple's 13-inch MacBook refresh

Comments

• Reply 101 of 167
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

As an AAPL owner, I'm concerned about the leaks that are coming out. These security lapses could certainly affect Apple's sales due to consumers holding off purchases now that they have a heads-up of what's coming down the pipeline.

Seems that this guy was not too bright about showing the box it came in. Even though the serial# was blanked out, there were other ID's in clear sight that could narrow down exactly where this came from.

Wow, with your 6 shares of AAPL, this might cost you $2.47!

Seriously, these links are actually a good thing for Forum nerds.

If the new product is a turd, or jesus' testes, we find out earlier than the majority of investors, and can sell/buy accordingly!

This announcement doesn't exactly scream "share crash" or anything. C2D chips make this a great product for 2008, a standard one in 2009, and a bad purchase in 2010. If these are going to be the models apple is selling all year, it's going to make for poor sales in August/September/October when basically all PCs except netbooks will be sold with i7/i5/i3 processors...
  • Reply 102 of 167
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rd68k View Post

The guy erased serial numbers on the photo, but forgot to erase unique MAC addresses :-)

He also didn't cover up the barcodes, kinda rendering the masking obsolete in the first place. Dipshit
  • Reply 103 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Thank you, you're a gentleman. I hope that justifybob and Doctor David heed your call for civility, it disturbs me how quickly they resort to name calling but they may retort that I just need a thicker skin. But we each have our own views, experiences and perspectives of the world, the key thing is how disruptive and respectful we are to each other.

I didn't call you a name. I pointed out that teaching someone to fish is different than acting like a jerk. I can see why you would infer that though.
  • Reply 104 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Seriously, these links are actually a good thing for Forum nerds.

If the new product is a turd, or jesus' testes, we find out earlier than the majority of investors, and can sell/buy accordingly!

This announcement doesn't exactly scream "share crash" or anything. C2D chips make this a great product for 2008, a standard one in 2009, and a bad purchase in 2010. If these are going to be the models apple is selling all year, it's going to make for poor sales in August/September/October when basically all PCs except netbooks will be sold with i7/i5/i3 processors...

What a completely asinine comment. Besides your douchbaggery comment toward sflocal, you have unequivocovially stated that "basically all PCs except netbooks will be sold with i7/i5/i3 processors" which I can guarantee you is false and you are claiming that Apple's sales will be dropping because of the choice to bump the CPU speed and GPU instead of falling back to slower IGP than currently used. I can't guarantee that your claims on this matter are wrong, but I wager that Apple sells more units in those months than they did the previous year, despite your Nostadumbass-like predictions to the contrary.
  • Reply 105 of 167
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    On the topic of Part Number shown. It is virtually impossible with the pictures I found to decode it fully. However, it is MB#??X/A ... where # is a number which is not 2, and ? is an unknown number.

There are some significances to this. The X/A is consistent with Australian models, it is an Australian plug as shown in the video. China also uses these plugs, but I don't know the code for Chinese models. For example, the current MacBook White is MC207X/A in Australia, MC207ZP/A for South East Asia, MC207LL/A for USA, etc.

So it is possible this unit was intercepted on its way to Australia, or it is a unit meant for China due to the plug configuration.

Another significance is, they did not just use the existing MacBook White box. That has a part number starting with MC207. From what I can compare based on patterns and so on, the box has a part number starting with MB? , where the ? is NOT the number 2.

So the part number, in conclusion, is MB#??X/A ... where # is a number which is not 2, and ? is an unknown number.
  • Reply 106 of 167
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Maybe they prepare for a couple of upgrades to get rid of the 9400M on the whole line. There was a rumor a week ago that new MBA might arrive as well.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_tuesday.html

Personally I'm just hoping for some new iMacs with core iSomething and ATI 5xxx in the 21.5" model. My credit card is ready for that
  • Reply 107 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Maybe they prepare for a couple of upgrades to get rid of the 9400M on the whole line. There was a rumor a week ago that new MBA might arrive as well.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_tuesday.html

Personally I'm just hoping for some new iMacs with core iSomething and ATI 5xxx in the 21.5" model. My credit card is ready for that

I think 50% chance they'll bump MacBook and MacBook Air up to the new specs at the same time... on Tuesday.

Or, MacBook updated this Tuesday, MacBook Air updated next Tuesday.

As for the iMac, sorry dude, I don't think so. \
  • Reply 108 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BananaRaMa View Post

BananaRaMa

Awesome. This kind of stuff always seems to dance in sync to my music. YEAH
  • Reply 109 of 167
    zurielzuriel Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Apple's iPad may eat into Macbook sales. I know my next computer device purchase will be an iPad. One company has already made a cover for the iPad that turns it into a laptop with full keyboard.

We use our Macbook at home for the web, email, and the occasional document. The iPad does all of that nicely. Apple may need to further distinguish the Macbooks with new and interesting features. Maybe they can do dual displays, blu-ray super drives, HDMI connectosr, dual hard disks in a RAID 0 or 1 configuration as a BTO option, or 3D displays like the televisions now coming out.

Then again maybe Apple knows that the laptop's days are limited.

Rather than a case for making an iPad like a laptop I'd rather have one that makes it light an iMac and raises it up a bit to my eye level.

Who is this "we" you speak of? i use my MBP to write documents SEVERAL times a week, take notes in class everyday (including online classes), and have plenty of room to store everything in my HDD with my Itunes, games, etc...

It's obvious your opinions are favoring entertainment over productivity, which is what the ipad is, since it can barely do much more than an iphone can. it's pretty much useless to all the photographers, video and graphic designers, musicians, students, and many more.

Your crazy if you think that the laptop days are over. In fact, if anything you're in the minority, cause i don't know much people that need to spend there time watching youtube videos and playing games on the go...
  • Reply 110 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Who was it that made the snarky comment about how anyone here who owns AAPL stock probably owns a few hundred dollars worth? So, because someone is posting in a forum like this, they must not be worth anything in the real world? If anything, that's projecting. I'm sure there are people here with portfolios nicer than some might expect. As annoying as some of the posters are in these boards, the information available actually is more useful for trading AAPL stock (and companies tied to AAPL) than what might be gleaned from other sources, market trends and global factors aside.

It's a good thing Apple has people like you around to offer free advice on how to run a successful business.

I shouldn't have to point out that this underdog company so many of us once knew is now one of America's biggest corporations—and they got where they are today by doing things their own way, and this is no exception. Their secrecy has generated a level of fanaticism (bear witness to the site you now read) and media attention unlike anything else in the technology industry. They do not need to play by established rules; even well-established ones.

No, you don't have to point out that Apple is a successful company. You can also re-read what I wrote, and then realize I didn't say they were unsuccessful. It wasn't advice, either...it was an opinion. Imagine if Apple read these boards and took anything here as advice! I'd venture a guess and say they'd be a $4 company, not a $40 billion one

A very small minority in corporate IT, and too secretive with their products for entry into that market, yes...I said that.
  • Reply 111 of 167
    Im' confused...

sticker?

© 2009 ?

• Reply 112 of 167
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I understand your point and most such posts about not liking an article type can be easily avoided by not reading them, but in this case bdkennedy1 point is hard to deny since the title already gives away enough details to spoil the surprise.

Actually, tho I was a bit flip, I empathize. I avoid the rumor sites (and in this era of general Applemania regular news sites, cable news and business channels as well) on new product announcement days until Apple posts the Stevenote.

(If it's not Jobs himself, though, I get whatever feeds I can in real time. His charismatic presentation of the new goods is half the appeal to me, RDF and all. The details and reviews I can sort out later.)
  • Reply 113 of 167
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Sorry for being off topic

I've been searching for such an item, please do share.

My thought is a BT keyboard with a touch pad to replacate basic touch screen features.

Would not use it all or most of the time, but would be nice for some light writing.

The regular BT keyboard presumes a mouse. But using a BT keyboard with the ipad makes it awkward (dare I say un-magical?) because no track pad or mouse. Have to reach up to the screen. Not very 'just works' like.

Yea I know, just get a MacBook, but I really really like the simplicity of the ipad for 95% of my computing tasks.

Here you go:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/05/c...into-a-laptop/
  • Reply 114 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rd68k View Post

The guy erased serial numbers on the photo, but forgot to erase unique MAC addresses :-)

it's there one point to recognize where they from ??????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dan uff View Post

Sorry guys, but the video does not look real to me - look at the bottom of the computer - to many "accessible" screws and it looks cheap. Not something that Apple would make.

Dan

it's real .......... but i don't know where they pick up, but it's true, confirm 100%

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Sounds like a factory is going to be losing Apple's business.

I'm getting sick of all these leaks. I enjoy being surprised.

yes ...... losing Apple's business in the future for sure .....

to all@: this information is true, video is true, and the computer true also .... no fake at all in this review ............... but the point is i don't understand where they have it
  • Reply 115 of 167
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Yes, as an owner of a couple hundred bucks worth of Apple stock you should be extremely affected...

(In my experience people with large stock portfolios do not comment on AI).

Right... or those like you that wished they did own shares and whine to those that do. Where in my posting did I mention the quantity of AAPL shares I own? [In your experience] you should have not have overslept when they were teaching reading comprehension in school.

This has nothing to do with the amount of holdings I own. Simply as a shareholder, Apple not doing any action is implying to everyone that it's okay to steal, report unreleased products without fear of retribution. This is simply not an option.

Now go back to flipping burgers so you can save your money and buy a clue.
  • Reply 116 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thermaikos View Post

Im' confused...

sticker?

© 2009 ?

Fortunately, the barcode was clear enough for me to scan. It did recognize it as a valid Apple product but it could not determine the kind of product it was.

The stickers are a little fishy though.
  • Reply 117 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Actually, tho I was a bit flip, I empathize. I avoid the rumor sites (and in this era of general Applemania regular news sites, cable news and business channels as well) on new product announcement days until Apple posts the Stevenote.

(If it's not Jobs himself, though, I get whatever feeds I can in real time. His charismatic presentation of the new goods is half the appeal to me, RDF and all. The details and reviews I can sort out later.)

In January, I tried to avoid the Special Event news so I could watch the video presentation fresh. This meant no RSS, no email, no Twitter, no IM and no googling unless I knew it was specifically outside of the computer tech field.

This was very hard! I did check my stocks and noted that neither AAPL nor VZ jumped excessively that day so I knew there was no Verizon iPhone announced. I also new it was a Tablet and called the iPad because some girl (who I don't know) decided to tell me at a local coffee shop when they interrupted me with my headphones* in while watching TV on my Mac. I couldn't get away from it!

* Why the hell do people insist on talking to you when you have headphones on. If it was dire, then interrupt, but it's always smalltalk. This is a huge pet peeve of mine.
  • Reply 118 of 167
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

Who is this "we" you speak of? i use my MBP to write documents SEVERAL times a week, take notes in class everyday (including online classes), and have plenty of room to store everything in my HDD with my Itunes, games, etc...

It's obvious your opinions are favoring entertainment over productivity, which is what the ipad is, since it can barely do much more than an iphone can. it's pretty much useless to all the photographers, video and graphic designers, musicians, students, and many more.

Your crazy if you think that the laptop days are over. In fact, if anything you're in the minority, cause i don't know much people that need to spend there time watching youtube videos and playing games on the go...

The "we" I was referring to was my family.

Actually the iPad is much more than entertainment. I'm in the healthcare industry and a doctor friend of mine demoed all the medical apps he uses on the iPad. He's more than excited about all of the application the iPad will fill in healthcare and wants to capitalize on it.

It is a paradigm shift from using a traditional laptop but eventually everyone will come around to it. If the doctor can write his papers on it in comfort then you'll learn to as well. It is your choice though.
  • Reply 119 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Another whining troll that shamelessly pretends to have a clue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What a completely asinine comment. Besides your douchbaggery comment toward sflocal,...

No worries Solips. I just sit back and laugh at these jerks. Some other folks have implied how much their total AAPL value is worth at a given stock price. While they may feel the urge to advertise that, I have no desire to do so. In all my hundreds of posts, I have never divulged my holdings, nor will I take their troll-bait.

Obviously, these burger-flipping trolls are getting bent out of shape by showing their distaste to individuals that knew how to invest wisely. That simply places a smile on my face knowing I can cause them grief while they whine away in their parent's basements.

There are plenty of shareholders on this forum too, so my statement stands. I think shareholders should be concerned about the perceived lack of security with unreleased products. Incidents like these can wreak havoc with other companies and while the monetary damage to Apple is unknown at the moment, actions should be taken to suppress the leaks.
  • Reply 120 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

No worries Solips. I just sit back and laugh at these jerks.

I know you can defend yourself, but it's in my nature when I don't see another reply.

Quote:

Some other folks have implied how much their total AAPL value is worth at a given stock price. While they may feel the urge to advertise that, I have no desire to do so. In all my hundreds of posts, I have never divulged my holdings, nor will I take their troll-bait.

I'm right there with ya. I've stated I'm a stockholder and have never stated my holdings. The amount doesn't change the fact that a stockholder has a vested interest in the company's success.

Quote:

I think shareholders should be concerned about the perceived lack of security with unreleased products. Incidents like these can wreak havoc with other companies and while the monetary damage to Apple is unknown at the moment, actions should be taken to suppress the leaks.

On this I have to disagree. I don't see these leaks as being detrimental to sales. For all that are holding off (which I think is quite low) they are still buying the new model when it comes out. I'd like a good counter-argument and/or scenario as to how this can hurt Apple's bottom line because I'm not seeing it.