Apple announces new MobileMe Mail upgrade beta program

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Let me not be misunderstood, mobile me is good, I wouldn't do without it anymore. But it does leave a lot to be desired, hence it's not great, which is what we have come to expect from apple. Plus, the free or much cheaper competition is better than mm, but mm is more integrated.

It's also quite a lot more expensive here in Europe than the $67 per year I read here somewhere it sells in the U.S.
  • Reply 62 of 78
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Let me not be misunderstood, mobile me is good, I wouldn't do without it anymore. But it does leave a lot to be desired, hence it's not great, which is what we have come to expect from apple. Plus, the free or much cheaper competition is better than mm, but mm is more integrated.

It's also quite a lot more expensive here in Europe than the $67 per year I read here somewhere it sells in the U.S.

+1.

Same for me, love the idea and integration, but the actual implementation could be better and have more of the usual Apple-elegance.
  • Reply 63 of 78
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I think that was just a one-off discount from a retailer that was probably trying to ditch their last few copies.

As far as the price from the Apple store goes it's $99 or £59, and I think this makes it much cheaper here in the UK - if those prices were the same ratio for the iPad the prices would start at £300 instead of £429...

(Edit - I'm not sure if there is some weird VAT rule for software, but even £300 + 52.50 vat is still nearly £80 cheaper than the actual start price of the iPad...)
  • Reply 64 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmb View Post

their webmail app has been a piece of crap forever

lost emails, poor performance, etc

I stopped using it a long time ago - it was basically unusable

massive numbers of complaints in Apple's support forums on it

hopefully it works now, but I have little interest in going back to it...

Could not agree more!
  • Reply 65 of 78
    heavydheavyd Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

How long did everyone have to wait to receive their Beta Invite? I signed up about three hours ago and am still waiting.

I signed up yesterday around 2pm EST, and I still haven't received an invitation.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    heavydheavyd Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

I would love to purchase a family pack; however I believe Apple should give the purchasing account the option to administer the other five computers in his/her home, office or wherever they might be.

It would be so helpful when I am away on business and my son is having a problem if I can use back to my Mac to get into his computer to fix it, all five of the accounts are their own distinctive accounts.

There should be something in the "Family Pack" that gives the option to administer all of the accounts somehow.

That is my MM wish.....

I use it to support my family on both Mac & Windows. It's secure and fast - very cool. teamviewer.com
  • Reply 67 of 78
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Hopefully your email won't get lost this time.

I have never lost an email from .Mac (mobile me, whatever...) and neither have any of my friends and family.

There were *some* vocal users in the Apple support forums (and I would have been too if I was experiencing the same problems) but it was hardly the catastrophic failure many like to make the migration of .Mac to Mobile Me out to be. When you consider that Apple has millions of subscribers to Mobile Me, and that they link directly to the support forums in the Help, if it was some sort of a systemic problem rather than some minor growing pains the forums would have really melted down.

If you don't like Mobile Me, fine - no one is twisting your arm to use it. But the problems with the migration were documented, fixed and the service has been flawless for myself and over 20 friends and family that use it. The Webmail interface performance was my only real complaint, and it looks like they have addressed it along with a nice UI update that unifies the Mobile Me experience with the iPad. Double bonus!

Now if they would just turn iDisk into a Drop Box-like function that keeps stuff between my desktop, laptop and iPad in sync - WIRELESSLY over WiFi (at a minimum) I would be VERY happy.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I completely disagree with the general statement of syncing all your files across Macs.

You may, but I and many others don't. Look at the success of products like DropBox.

Sure, I don't necessarily need EVERYTHING on all my computers/devices - but if they are looking to stream music files off of my computer for me to play, why can't Mobile Me be a broker to stream files off of my desktop to my laptop for them to be either copied or streamed on demand?

Why should I even have to think about if it's on iDisk or not? Why can't it be transparent?

Why can't there be another checkbox in Get Info - "Automatically back up" - that creates a copy on iDisk automatically?

Why do we have to stay with the same metaphors? Why can't I have a file system that's a transparent sum of local disk, cloud services like Mobile Me, Drop Box, etc.

That's the future I'm waiting for. If anyone can deliver it, I have the most faith in Apple.
  • Reply 69 of 78
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v View Post

That and web bookmarks. I can sync my bookmarks between computers, so they're stored in my MobileMe space obviously, but I can no longer sit down at someone else's computer, log in to my .mac/MobileMe page & have access to my bookmarks. Why?

That one makes no sense to me either. I love having my Macs and my iPhone share bookmarks, but my office blocks the sync features of MobileMe (along with all but the public iDisk features) and so I have no easy way to get my bookmark updates on that computer. I never understood why they removed the web interface to your bookmarks either and wish they'd bring that back.

Sadly, I doubt they read these threads for ideas, so I'll probably have to submit the request as feedback officially
  • Reply 70 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

You may, but I and many others don't. Look at the success of products like DropBox.

Sure, I don't necessarily need EVERYTHING on all my computers/devices - but if they are looking to stream music files off of my computer for me to play, why can't Mobile Me be a broker to stream files off of my desktop to my laptop for them to be either copied or streamed on demand?

If you look at how DropBox and Amazon's S3 work you will not be streaming music of your computer via iTunes. It will log your library and let you stream that same file (though perhaps at a limited bandwidth) from servers that contain the iTunes catalog. That is the beauty of this design. You don't need have multiple copies. Apple's Time Machine sparebundle does the same thing. You can go into subsequent backups in Finder and the files look and act like they are the "true" version yet only one copy of a file is saved, unless of course it's been altered.

I see no reason to have 1TB or more on the internet waiting there for me to access it or have this constantly synced. We simply don't have the capability to make this a widespread reality. It's possible, it;s just not feasible.

Quote:

Why should I even have to think about if it's on iDisk or not? Why can't it be transparent?

Why can't there be another checkbox in Get Info - "Automatically back up" - that creates a copy on iDisk automatically?

Why do we have to stay with the same metaphors? Why can't I have a file system that's a transparent sum of local disk, cloud services like Mobile Me, Drop Box, etc.

That's the future I'm waiting for. If anyone can deliver it, I have the most faith in Apple.

After myapplelove restarted his comment it became clear that we are on the exact same page. It sounds like you are, too, with the second part of your post and the "in place" copy to iDisk is exactly what I proposed. This is possible and feasible right now... and even years past. The only caveat ? and it's a minor one ? is that there would need to be a process to monitor iDisk usage so that a folder you are dumping to doesn't exceed the total size of your iDisk limit and informs you of this potential issue, a way to see the size of each folder and file in one view) and have Mac OS X disable certain areas from being backed up to iDisk. Like I said, minor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

That one makes no sense to me either. I love having my Macs and my iPhone share bookmarks, but my office blocks the sync features of MobileMe (along with all but the public iDisk features) and so I have no easy way to get my bookmark updates on that computer. I never understood why they removed the web interface to your bookmarks either and wish they'd bring that back.

Sadly, I doubt they read these threads for ideas, so I'll probably have to submit the request as feedback officially

That is a head scratcher. Even if not used my many people it's a simple addition that some find very useful. If you and chris v are hell bent on adding them there are many options available. You just have to copy your bookmarks.html file and then copy it to an iDisk folder. There are many ways to automate this, even having it upload again if the modified date is changed, though that is a more complex setup. Here is one option I quickly googled (note: I haven't tried this) » http://web.me.com/thierry.cornelis/S..._MobileMe.html
  • Reply 71 of 78
    paul.paul. Posts: 2member
    Like gmail (my archenemy), the beta version of mobileme has no easy way to sort files by attachment. Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm a student and the editor of an online magazine and I spend half my time trying to find Word documents that either I've sent or have been sent to me. It's nice to be able to sort in such away.

The reason I find it INFURIATING and not simply disappointing is that sorting by attachment had been a standard function of email clients since the mid-nineties when I started using the internet.
  • Reply 72 of 78
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Well clearly I'm not good enough for the Beta program. I clicked the button over three days a go and am still yet to hear back.

Sad really as I use the webmail all day everyday on my work computer.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

Well clearly I'm not good enough for the Beta program. I clicked the button over three days a go and am still yet to hear back.

Sad really as I use the webmail all day everyday on my work computer.

Just got my invite.
  • Reply 74 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Just got my invite.

How long did you have to wait for?

I wonder if it is location based. Since I'm in Australia maybe they are keeping it stateside for the time being?
  • Reply 75 of 78
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I'm in Japan. I signed up as soon as it was online, so a couple of days.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    For those keeping score, I got my invite yesterday. It took 8 days.
  • Reply 77 of 78
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Got the invite yesterday and have been using for 24hrs.

I really like the new layout. So far so good.
  • Reply 78 of 78
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I just got mine today. I currently use the wide mail plug in for Apple Mail. This is exactly what I want Apple Mail to be like. Apple actually going to make us wait for the next OS upgrade to give us a mail lay out like this.