Another leak from Vietnam reveals Apple's 13-inch MacBook refresh

Comments

• Reply 121 of 167
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I know you can defend yourself, but it's in my nature when I don't see another reply.

Very noble Solips. My decision to reply or not to a given whiner simply comes down the amount of effort it would take to respond to someone so insignificant in the big picture. I do truly wish these trolls were off of AI. These folks are seriously clinical to spend their (wasted) life trying to beat on people to make themselves feel superior.

Quote:

I'm right there with ya. I've stated I'm a stockholder and have never stated my holdings. The amount doesn't change the fact that a stockholder has a vested interest in the company's success.

Yes, but for some reason, certain whiners imply we are bad people for investing in a company that we believe will provide us a fair (or great) return for our investment. Putting aside the fact that it's AAPL, who would let an opportunity pass by to make money for virtually zero effort in ANY company? The answer is simple.. they are upset that they did not join the bandwagon.

Quote:

On this I have to disagree. I don't see these leaks as being detrimental to sales. For all that are holding off (which I think is quite low) they are still buying the new model when it comes out. I'd like a good counter-argument and/or scenario as to how this can hurt Apple's bottom line because I'm not seeing it.

I think it's great that we can agree to disagree Solips. It would certainly be a more boring place if everyone thought the same thing. I certainly enjoy reading your posts and glad you constantly took the high-road, especially during those tortured times when idiots (we know who they are) were pushing your buttons.

No one knows for sure (including me) about what damage - if any - this will cause to Apple. I also think most of the Joe and Jane consumers will not have any clue about these leaks. I just believe that there are certain bad elements in the industry (Gizmodo & the Vietnamese site) that feel they can do what they want with a company's unreleased product without fear of retribution. If a stand is not made now, the result will simply embolden other folks to do the same thing.

Leak or not, I was always planning on getting my next iPhone this coming summer. My old 2g is getting a little flaky but has performed admirably for me during the years. The leaked photos though, did reaffirm my belief that this was going to be a great release.
  • Reply 122 of 167
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Here you go:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/05/c...into-a-laptop/

Thanks!
  • Reply 123 of 167
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

.... Obviously, these burger-flipping ....

Funny but it is a bit 'flip'( pun intended)

kudo's to owning Apple stock during it's run up, just a nit pick question- is 'invest wisely' the correct term? I'm sure you did due dilligence etc, but would you admit to a bit of luck too? Sorry,just a nitpick from my 'un-wise' experience in investing. in the end you risked your money and it paid off. Super!
  • Reply 124 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

kudo's to owning Apple stock during it's run up, just a nit pick question- is 'invest wisely' the correct term? I'm sure you did due dilligence etc, but would you admit to a bit of luck too? Sorry,just a nitpick from my 'un-wise' experience in investing. in the end you risked your money and it paid off. Super!

That is a tricky question. With anything regarding the future there is a modicum of risk involved that is technically unforeseeable, though potentially predictable. Assuming the outcome and knowing it are two different things. We can take pretty much any card game's odds to determine the likely outcome, but it's not a certainty.

According to the OAD2, luck is "success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions." I'd argue that stockholders are making an action based on data so while they are essentially gambling their success or failure isn't about luck as there is (usually) a causal relationship that one can determine ahead of time.

Personally, I buy mostly tech related stocks because I know the companies well. For instance, I know Apple will sell Macs this year than any previous year. I know this new iPhone will outsell any previous iPhone. I don't see their momentum slowing or their direction and focus wavering. So while their stock will rise and drop in ways I can't expect for reasons I can't imagine I am sure they will bounce back quickly and outpace their market.
  • Reply 125 of 167
    Quote:

Catch-22 there buddy... if I bought shares knowing that the price would go up, that's insider trading which is obviously frowned-upon, possibly illegal. So of course, in the most truest nature of investing, there is an element of risk - or luck as you would say. However, I think knowing the companies one invests in, risk can be lowered to an acceptable level that the individual is willing to tolerate. Don't get me wrong.. like many, I've lost some, won some. But I've won more in general to offset what I lost.

Quote:

That is a tricky question. With anything regarding the future there is a modicum of risk involved that is technically unforeseeable, though potentially predictable. Assuming the outcome and knowing it are two different things. We can take pretty much any card game's odds to determine the likely outcome, but it's not a certainty.

Yes, and regardless of whether the risk is in investing their own personal money, or coming back to a company falling apart and turning it into one of the most successful tech-companies around, taking that risk has its rewards.

Those that choose (and it is "choose") to NOT take those risks are certainly within their right to do so. It's when certain folks decide to rip on others for choosing to risk that they cross the line into whining and trolling.
  • Reply 126 of 167
    Quote:

Those that choose (and it is "choose") to NOT take those risks are certainly within their right to do so. It's when certain folks decide to rip on others for choosing to risk that they cross the line into whining and trolling.

? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes
  • Reply 127 of 167
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

+1

just as a curiousity, I've wondered how much more it

would cost to at least assemble some items here. With

30b in the bank doing nothing, would seem to be possible. I know, I know not apple's concern.

Actually, if China were to actually let their currency "float" rather than be tied to the dollar to head off hyperinflation, we could start to see some firms return operations or manufacturing to the US.
  • Reply 128 of 167
    Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes

So very true!!! Bravo!
  • Reply 129 of 167
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    Quote:

As an AAPL owner, I'm concerned about the leaks that are coming out. These security lapses could certainly affect Apple's sales due to consumers holding off purchases now that they have a heads-up of what's coming down the pipeline.

Seems that this guy was not too bright about showing the box it came in. Even though the serial# was blanked out, there were other ID's in clear sight that could narrow down exactly where this came from.

It's not a big deal. Customers may hold off purchases but as soon as the machine comes out they will buy one.

All it's doing is moving the purchases from "now" to "a couple weeks away".

It's the same reason why "gasoline strikes", where everyone decides not to buy gas on a specific day doesn't affect anything. People will just buy whatever gas they used on the next day, and the oil companies make the same amount of money.

And if you're a day trader / short term investor, I have no sympathy. You're part of the reason why the economy is screwed up so badly. Get f***ed.
  • Reply 130 of 167
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Catch-22 there buddy... if I bought shares knowing that the price would go up, that's insider trading which is obviously frowned-upon, possibly illegal. :

Actually, that's not correct. Insider trading is trading with the advantage of non-public knowledge. It could be knowledge that increases the odds that the stock will go up OR down. But there's no guarantees, even with insider knowledge.
  • Reply 131 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, that's not correct. Insider trading is trading with the advantage of non-public knowledge. It could be knowledge that increases the odds that the stock will go up OR down. But there's no guarantees, even with insider knowledge.

Yes, very true. I did not word my response correctly as I was just in too much a hurry. I was trying to convey that that if I had info that it would absolutely go up, it may be considered illegal. Even insider-trading is not 100% guaranteed, but (imho) it is just about as sure as one can get short of having a mystical crystal ball.
  • Reply 132 of 167
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    With all the odd hammering sound effects in the rear and the way the possessor seems too engrossed with the superior technology while almost fumbling with opening the box, it seems strangely reminiscent of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMPlIQAz5E ; please see sequence from 0:00 to 0:18 and then again 1:04 to 2:39.
  • Reply 133 of 167
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markk View Post

need a leak of the next ipod touch to help me decide between an ipad or waiting

Leaks and technology notwithstanding, it'll probably come down to the form factor that best floats your boat. (Aside from the iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, since it's doubtful that any future iPod touch will have 3G capability.)

Carry it in your pocket or primarily listen to music? It's the touch.

Do a lot of reading? Go for the iPad.

Once the wow factor dies down over the iPad, form factor will probably determine selection for a large number of consumers trying to make the same choice you'd be making.
  • Reply 134 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Roadmaps are important for business reasons. If Apple wants to enter into the corporate world, they definitely need to ease up on the secrecy.

I hear about this "roadmap" crap all the time.

If you are an OEM then sure it is important to know what your component suppliers are planning. Tedious to prepare a new computer with Screen Tech X and waste a bunch of time tweaking drivers when it's about to be replaced with a new chip in a month.

Apple releasing the iPhoneOS roadmap isn't about corporates. It is about developers, so they can get up to speed and have apps ready for the next instalment, this is the same as if they were OEM's. Same with the desktop OS, dev's get a year headstart on that (not that it seems to change anything, hardly anything is using GCD etc)

If you are a corporate IT department what exactly is the benefit, or more importantly the critical business reason for knowing that a laptop is getting a refresh in a month. It's not going to change the way you do business or impact your users.

I can think of rare examples where it might, but almost all of them are software not hardware. I suppose if Apple was to dump all the USB ports, but that would be for lightpeak which can connect to USB devices anyway. Or maybe WiFi, but that is public knowledge also.

I call bull on this "issue"
  • Reply 135 of 167
    [QUOTE=sflocal;1633177]As an AAPL owner, I'm concerned about the leaks that are coming out. These security lapses could certainly affect Apple's sales due to consumers holding off purchases now that they have a heads-up of what's coming down the pipeline.

I think people don't get it. Apple and other computer manufactures build their boxes in China with cheap labor. This causes computer parts to leave the factory. Did you ever look online for Apple computer parts and find them much cheaper than from Apple. Why because the factories that make the parts for Apple during the day turn around at night and sell them to everybody else. I remember a friend of mine coming back from China in 2008 telling me he could of bought an iPhone for $50. the reason this stuff is being leaked is because people are selling this stuff in Asia.

When we bring manufacturing back to the US then Apple can get some control, alas that will never happen because American workers can't live on $100 a month like they can in China.
  • Reply 136 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

I hear about this "roadmap" crap all the time.

If you are an OEM then sure it is important to know what your component suppliers are planning. Tedious to prepare a new computer with Screen Tech X and waste a bunch of time tweaking drivers when it's about to be replaced with a new chip in a month.

Apple releasing the iPhoneOS roadmap isn't about corporates. It is about developers, so they can get up to speed and have apps ready for the next instalment, this is the same as if they were OEM's. Same with the desktop OS, dev's get a year headstart on that (not that it seems to change anything, hardly anything is using GCD etc)

If you are a corporate IT department what exactly is the benefit, or more importantly the critical business reason for knowing that a laptop is getting a refresh in a month. It's not going to change the way you do business or impact your users.

I can think of rare examples where it might, but almost all of them are software not hardware. I suppose if Apple was to dump all the USB ports, but that would be for lightpeak which can connect to USB devices anyway. Or maybe WiFi, but that is public knowledge also.

I call bull on this "issue"

Apple's refreshes are accompanied by the latest build of the OS, for one small example. Might not want to introduce that onto the network without testing.

IT doesn't like the latest and greatest, they like mature and stable. Especially companies that use custom code.

Apple's software, especially, goes through frequent changes and updates. I'm not saying this is bad for consumers, but it is a completely different thing for an IT support staff.

Call bull all you like, but I get the feeling you contradicted yourself. At the very minimum you are unsure of your position. Think it through and put yourself into an SA's mindset, not a home user.
  • Reply 137 of 167
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:

What a completely asinine comment. Besides your douchbaggery comment toward sflocal, you have unequivocovially stated that "basically all PCs except netbooks will be sold with i7/i5/i3 processors" which I can guarantee you is false and you are claiming that Apple's sales will be dropping because of the choice to bump the CPU speed and GPU instead of falling back to slower IGP than currently used. I can't guarantee that your claims on this matter are wrong, but I wager that Apple sells more units in those months than they did the previous year, despite your Nostadumbass-like predictions to the contrary.

Oh, boohoo, sorry if I hurt the guy who was bellyaching about losing money due to this leak's feelings. It's a crock of shit by a make-believe investor, and I call it like I see it. I'm deeply sorry you 2 have had to go back and forth with 10 posts of patting each other on the back and stroking each others' e-penises as a result.

And take a freaking look at Dell or Sony's websites. You'll find it difficult to find any standard model laptops that cost $1000, or even $900 like the Macbook does that still have Core2Duo RIGHT NOW. And those companies have much shorter update cycles than Apple has in the past, so by the time September rolls around and the "new" Macbooks are still on the shelves, they're not exactly going to look like a good deal to new customers who might be comparing them to similarly priced PCs.

If you think some vietnamese iPhone leak a few weeks ahead of a product release is going to hurt apple's share price more than releasing outdated products and having them on store shelves for 9-14 months at a time, i'm glad you're not in charge of my portfolio!

And please, if you're going to tell me all the things that you get for $1000 with an Apple product that you don't with a Dell or Sony, you're preaching to the choir. The fact is, lots of people going to Best Buy or researching on the internet are going to decide they want a computer with the latest generation of processors, and not a 4-year old one. (almost 5 years by the time the Macbook is at the end of it's product cycle.) Also, although I'm totally indifferent to BluRay and USB3 personally, those are also 2 things which will stand out that are/will be standard on $1000 computers by the fall.
  • Reply 138 of 167
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2 View Post

With all the odd hammering sound effects in the rear and the way the possessor seems too engrossed with the superior technology while almost fumbling with opening the box, it seems strangely reminiscent of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMPlIQAz5E ; please see sequence from 0:00 to 0:18 and then again 1:04 to 2:39.

I absolutely love the hammering in the background. It's adds a total WTF is going on??? feel to the video. It's like, FFS couldn't they ask them to stop hammering for 3 minutes while they take the video. Or did they sneak off to a construction site or shop/apartment being refurbished to take the video.
  • Reply 139 of 167
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I absolutely love the hammering in the background. It's adds a total WTF is going on??? feel to the video. It's like, FFS couldn't they ask them to stop hammering for 3 minutes while they take the video. Or did they sneak off to a construction site or shop/apartment being refurbished to take the video.

I LMAO at the comment on Engadget where someone said that was someone testing out an Android touch tablet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

And take a freaking look at Dell or Sony's websites. You'll find it difficult to find any standard model laptops that cost $1000, or even $900 like the Macbook does that still have Core2Duo RIGHT NOW.

Yeah it sucks but would you rather Apple tries to put a dedicated GPU in there? Dell sell a lot of machines so they end up cheap, Sony are still expensive. If they could have put the 330M in the entire lineup with Core i5, that would have been great but you know they'd have to increase the prices considerably.

Dell's 13" Inspiron has a dual Pentium for $650 with just Intel X3100 graphics. A $999 Macbook sounds way better than that.

Their 14" Studio laptop is better with 1.6GHz Core i7 quad with Radeon 5450 for $999 but battery life is reported at 2-4 hours. 4 hours with light usage and 2 watching a movie from the HDD.

I don't think the spec they use is a problem so much as the price. It does have 2x faster graphics and a slight CPU bump over the old one for the price but it would be nice if they adjusted their price points so that the 13" MBP started at at the $999 point and the MB was $799 or something. This way they clearly define their boundaries.

$0-$999 = Mac Mini, iPad, iPhone, Macbook, iPod

$999-$1999 = iMac, MBP, MBA

$1999+ = Mac Pro, XServe

and stick to these price boundaries no matter what. They already do I suppose but even $899 for the MB and $1099 for the entry MBP.
  • Reply 140 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Oh, boohoo, sorry if I hurt the guy who was bellyaching about losing money due to this leak's feelings. It's a crock of shit by a make-believe investor, and I call it like I see it. I'm deeply sorry you 2 have had to go back and forth with 10 posts of patting each other on the back and stroking each others' e-penises as a result.

So much hostility. I don't know where your caustic attitude came from but it's not very helpful.

Quote:

And take a freaking look at Dell or Sony's websites. You'll find it difficult to find any standard model laptops that cost $1000, or even $900 like the Macbook does that still have Core2Duo RIGHT NOW. And those companies have much shorter update cycles than Apple has in the past, so by the time September rolls around and the "new" Macbooks are still on the shelves, they're not exactly going to look like a good deal to new customers who might be comparing them to similarly priced PCs.

The CPU is only one of many components in a computer. If it was all about the best CPU for your money then no one would buy a notebook, it would all be about desktops, yet notebook sales keep increasing whilst desktop sales decrease. That blows that theory of yours out of the water.

These "facts" about Apple v. other OEM "update" cycles hasn't changed yet Apple still continues to grow faster than the industry and apparently takes a 1/3 of all profits. Apparently not being a bottom feeder is working for them.

Quote:

If you think some vietnamese iPhone leak a few weeks ahead of a product release is going to hurt apple's share price more than releasing outdated products and having them on store shelves for 9-14 months at a time, i'm glad you're not in charge of my portfolio!

If you would have read the rest of the thread you'd see that I don't think it will hurt Apple.

Quote:

And please, if you're going to tell me all the things that you get for $1000 with an Apple product that you don't with a Dell or Sony, you're preaching to the choir. The fact is, lots of people going to Best Buy or researching on the internet are going to decide they want a computer with the latest generation of processors, and not a 4-year old one. (almost 5 years by the time the Macbook is at the end of it's product cycle.) Also, although I'm totally indifferent to BluRay and USB3 personally, those are also 2 things which will stand out that are/will be standard on $1000 computers by the fall.

It's a good thing people are interested in things other than the marketing name of the CPU being used. It sounds like you'd have been happier if the 13" MB/MBP came with Core-i3 over Core2Duo, even if that meant using the IntelHD and over the Nvidia 320M for lowered performance.

This is Apple we're talking about, not an PC maker than wants to stick marketing stickers all over your machine. Things like viewing angle are considerations over just the display resolution, even though the former isn't as marketable as the latter.

Apparently offering a better experience over just offering better marketing jargon is working. Doesn't Apple have a reported 92% of the $1000+ PC market? If what you say is true then this shouldn't be happening.