our iPad 3G 64GB stolen. Zero options. Thieves win.

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Last week was a great week that ended badly. On Saturday our iPad 3G 64GB was stolen as we put our kids to bed, it was charging in our car outside. We filed a police report (1-410-535-2800 case #10-33261) who indicated our entire neighborhood was vandalized 05-15 multiple incidents. Due to an iTunes issue, I wasn't able to sync, thus, get the lost iPad tracking feature setup. I had just sent an email into Apple 48 hrs later it was gone.

Apple immediately told me they can't do anything but log my SN as a stolen device. AT&T have killed the 3G on the device and they did confirm it's being happily used by the crooks. Our home owners insurance told us today anything less than our $1k deductible won't be covered. Auto Insurance rarely exceeds $200 for property. Which means we're out $829.00 completely and we enjoyed the iPad for 7 days.

Having something so exciting taken from our family feels awful. Apple should consider some basic type of default theft protection so this doesn't happen to other customers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Sorry for your loss, but I don't think leaving it in the car was the best idea.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Really??? ... you think APPLE should have to replace it because someone else stole it from you??????

What we need is a national, government run, taxpayer funded, iPad insurance/replacement program !
  • Reply 3 of 14
    redcloudredcloud Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Really??? ... you think APPLE should have to replace it because someone else stole it from you??????

What we need is a national, government run, taxpayer funded, iPad insurance/replacement program !

What I pay alot for is Home Owners Insurance it's to replace things that are stolen like soup, my private collection of refrigerators and yes - iPads. Could you wait here I'm going to read my post again. I'm back now, hey what time is it? I'm hungry. Oh yeah I remember...I didn't make a plea for Apple to replace anything, but rather, something fundamental in the OS that renders my device useless (as the owner) in the event it's stolen that's FREE. Call it MobileMe Lite that-works-even-before-you-setup-the-full-version. Wait that title is too long.

Perhaps you're a Continuously Under-appreciated New Technologist. I get that.

re: the car - I think leaving it in the car will be a great idea should I buy another fully trackable one. then I might get them both back.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Yep - A remote lock would be a cool feature. Just as long as it could be overridden by someone verifying you were you.

I haven't got my iPad yet, (in Canada). But aren't they like an iPod, where you can lock them on sleep & require a password to open?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post

Auto Insurance rarely exceeds $200 for property. Which means we're out $829.00 completely and we enjoyed the iPad for 7 days.

Did you check your car insurance policy? It might provide enough contents cover.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    I got 2 years coverage for my 64GB 3G for $125 form Worth Ave Group. Covers everything- theft, loss, breakage, etc. There is a $ 50 deductible, however.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    gadgetoidgadgetoid Posts: 30member
    "it was charging in our car outside"

Whilst I admire your honesty, publicly advertising that you're this irresponsible with your belongings isn't going to earn you much sympathy. Leaving a brand new and highly desirable possession within a single smash and grabs range of disappearing is idiotic.

Also, a $1k deductible, are you freakin' kidding me? I don't know how the contents insurance system works in the states, but on this side of the pond it's about $140. If you buy things you can't afford to replace, don't skimp out on insurance.

Finally, you're seriously blaming Apple? Whilst I can almost sympathise for your loss, and would never wish it upon anyone, you can't seriously expect features such as GPS tracking to ensure the safety of your device. I mean, really. Really? Why can't people take responsibility for their own stupid actions any more? If you don't want your stuff to get stolen, LOOK AFTER IT. If you're seriously too lazy to take even the most basic of precautions with a brand-new, extremely expensive device that you can't afford to replace then, I'm sorry to say, you deserve what you get.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post

Last week was a great week that ended badly. On Saturday our iPad 3G 64GB was stolen as we put our kids to bed, it was charging in our car outside. We filed a police report (1-410-535-2800 case #10-33261) who indicated our entire neighborhood was vandalized 05-15 multiple incidents. Due to an iTunes issue, I wasn't able to sync, thus, get the lost iPad tracking feature setup. I had just sent an email into Apple 48 hrs later it was gone.

Apple immediately told me they can't do anything but log my SN as a stolen device. AT&T have killed the 3G on the device and they did confirm it's being happily used by the crooks. Our home owners insurance told us today anything less than our $1k deductible won't be covered. Auto Insurance rarely exceeds $200 for property. Which means we're out $829.00 completely and we enjoyed the iPad for 7 days.

Having something so exciting taken from our family feels awful. Apple should consider some basic type of default theft protection so this doesn't happen to other customers.

If Apple can get it working properly, something like thumbprint recognition would be great. The original purchase would require set up, and you could add other users, and only authorized persons could use the device. I think that would prevent theft because it would essentially be unusable.

But perhaps the touchscreens aren't good enough, or perhaps there is a legality preventing it.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

If Apple can get it working properly, something like thumbprint recognition would be great. The original purchase would require set up, and you could add other users, and only authorized persons could use the device. I think that would prevent theft because it would essentially be unusable.

But perhaps the touchscreens aren't good enough, or perhaps there is a legality preventing it.

Remote detonate would be a lot more effective.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    This post seems fake.

Who on Earth is stupid/careless enough to leave their brand new $829 (plus tax) gadget charging in the car? Why the hell wouldn't you bring it in? Wouldn't you want to use it? Even so, wouldn't you think your property is safer in your home than in your car? Cars do get broken in to, especially in the US.

The iPad comes with a charger that works at home. It does not come with a charger that works in the car. Are you telling me that in addition to your iPad, you bought a car charger? Are there any 20w car chargers even available, or were you charging less efficiently with an iPhone charger, when you could have just brought it in and charged more quickly?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I'm pretty sure the touch screens aren't anywhere near that good. I've heard the current iPhone has touch sensing cells that are five pixels across. Even if the iPad's cells are one pixel across, that's still too coarse on the spacial dimensions.

Anyway, I know it's disappointing and unfair, but stuff happens.

The lower the deductible, the higher the insurance rate gets.

Apple hasn't been in the insurance game, they never said they were providing or selling any (outside of extended warranties, not the same thing, doesn't cover theft or damage, etc.), I really don't know why they should start now.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Where's the spam on this post? It has to be fake!

Why didn't they take your stereo, too? What about the car alarm, sleep through that? I do to sometimes. How does an iPad charge if you're car is turned off? My car has a backup generator too, thought I was the only one.

Sounds like this chap is incredibly dumb or since he's only posted once he'll sign in as a different user and start spamming insurance
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Sorry for your loss. Now on to something more interesting.

How do you charge your iPad in an unpowered car, and why? Also, do you have some type of anti-theft device on your car that kept them from steeling that? You had the iPad for a week. Is this how you charged it every time? What did you use it for that you never brought it into the house? Even if the story is made up, you need to fill in the blanks for the sake of good fiction.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I think he's more just stupid rather than fake.

None of my cars have alarms... two of them the cigarette lighter stays powered even without a key in, why would anyone want to steal a factory stereo??

Thieves take the iPad because it was easy to grab... we have the same problem in our neighborhood... I don't even lock my cars because I'd rather they just open the door and rifle through my glovebox than break my window out. (I don't keep anything worth stealing in them... except my iPad ) Of course, one day they'll be doing my street when I'm still awake at 3AM... and they will never steal so much as a breath of air again.