Hulu subscription plan for Apple iPad to arrive later than expected

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Originally rumored to launch as soon as next week, Hulu's planned $10-a-month subscription service for advance content and access via an iPad application remains in the works.

In April, The Los Angeles Times reported that Hulu's new service, dubbed Hulu Plus, would arrive as soon as May 24. But on Tuesday, Peter Kafka of MediaMemo cited people familiar with the online streaming service who said there is "no way" Hulu Plus will become available next week.

The company plans to charge a monthly subscription for access to Hulu on the iPad through a forthcoming application to be released on the App Store. Hulu executives were initially hopeful that they could release an application -- and corresponding subscription plan -- potentially alongside the debut of the iPad.

But Kafka said Tuesday that it's likely the service remains in negotiations with content holders. He did say, however, that he believes the main partners -- including Fox, ABC and NBC -- have agreed to the basics of the subscription plan, including a $10-per-month fee for access to "a deeper catalog of broadcast shows plus access to the services like Apple's iPad."

"And even if Hulu and all of its partners are seeing eye-to-eye -- not a given -- getting the rights from various programming partners to sell their shows could be a slog," Kafka wrote.

But people pushing Hulu's subscription plan behind the scenes did reportedly say that the new service will be "revolutionary."

One feature that the new Hulu won't support: HTML5. Last week, the company revealed on its official blog that it doesn't see HTML5 in its immediate future. The current player on the website is built on Adobe Flash, which is used to stream video, secure content, and handle reporting for advertisers, among many other tasks.

Hulu's iPad application is expected to be similar to the existing ABC and Netflix streaming players available for download on the App Store. The popular ABC application shows programs like "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" for free, with ad support. And that free product has apparently caused concern for Hulu and its subscription plans.

Reports have suggested that Hulu will incentivize its subscription plan by offering streaming to Apple's iPad, as well as by including a "window" where content is available to subscribers before it can be seen for free by the general public. It is said that Hulu's business partners have pressured the service into subscription plans to "train" viewers that they should pay for online access to content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    onepotatoonepotato Posts: 95member
    The only way I'm going to pay for content is if it's ad free. You want to put ads in your content? Then you'd better get your money from the advertisers.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    We've been saying this forever, no surprise...
  • Reply 3 of 56
    msb0014msb0014 Posts: 28member
    $10 a month for Hulu??? Never gonna sell. I understand you should pay for content, but that is a lot. $2.99 a month is fair.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    cherrypopcherrypop Posts: 86member
    What is it with the content providers? They are either at one extreme (free) or at the other ($). Micropayments are still not on the radar: market to the elite eat with the masses, market to the masses and eat with the elite.

I'm not going to pretend to know what they should price hulu at, but $10/month, or 1/6th of a cable package, is redonkulous.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

$10 a month for Hulu??? Never gonna sell. I understand you should pay for content, but that is a lot. $2.99 a month is fair.

• Reply 5 of 56
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Oh well, thats dollars lost for Hulu during the iPad hype, and no loss for iPad owners whatsoever.

Next.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    gt1948gt1948 Posts: 14member
    "Hulu's business partners have pressured the service into subscription plans to "train" viewers that they should pay for online access to content."

Do i look like some damm dog to you? Go train the providers that they make enough off the advertising without sticking the average Joe with their damm subscription fees.

Hulu+iPad+subcription fee= a NO DEAL
  • Reply 7 of 56
    kjkelleykjkelley Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gt1948 View Post

"Hulu's business partners have pressured the service into subscription plans to "train" viewers that they should pay for online access to content."

Do i look like some damm dog to you? Go train the providers that they make enough off the advertising without sticking the average Joe with their damm subscription fees.

Hulu+iPad+subcription fee= a NO DEAL

I will "Train" providers that I do not pay for something like this online as I already have a DTV subscription. Good luck with you left for dead app!
  • Reply 8 of 56
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Hulu sucks.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Hulu sucks.

I would pay the $10 if they actually had any content anymore.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    ISTM that the iPad is quickly becoming a platform where formerly free content now costs money.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Uh, oh. They used the word revolution. (awaits angry, profane email string from gizmodo about the exclusion of wanking material from Hulu and their insistence on using a proprietary closed system for their technology)
  • Reply 12 of 56
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

One feature that the new Hulu won't support: HTML5. Last week, the company revealed on its official blog that it doesn't see HTML5 in its immediate future. The current player on the website is built on Adobe Flash, which is used to stream video, secure content, and handle reporting for advertisers, among many other tasks.

Am I missing something here? I thought Flash won't play in any iPhone OS device?

CGC
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Why is Hulu@$10 bad but Netflix@$17 okay?

*IF* it's ad free I'd be willing take another look at hulu, even if it is $10/month.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

The only way I'm going to pay for content is if it's ad free. You want to put ads in your content? Then you'd better get your money from the advertisers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil Maneker View Post

Why is Hulu@$10 bad but Netflix@$17 okay?

*IF* it's ad free I'd be willing take another look at hulu, even if it is $10/month.

You do not buy print newspapers, magazines, and other mass media then? Nor subscribe to cable? Nor go to any sports venue? I am sure I missed a lot of other things, that you cannot buy because they have ads, and yet you pay an additional fee to access.

CGC
  • Reply 15 of 56
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Agreed, I recently turned in my Cable Box...paying $50+/mo AND having to watch incessant, mindless commercials? Ahhhhhhh.

The only thing I miss is Formula One racing.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Am I missing something here? I thought Flash won't play in any iPhone OS device?

CGC

It won't. That's why they are making an app.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cherrypop View Post

.... is redonkulous.

Never heard that before....hilarious!
  • Reply 18 of 56
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    An EyeTV DVR and AirVideo for iPad will pretty much do the same thing as Hulu.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    I don't care what content is on Hulu...I won't pay ANYTHING for it...I already pay enough for crap TV. The only way this subscription model would ever work is if it was a complete replacement for cable somehow.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    You can watch all the Hulu you want on the new improved MacBook. The only reason this is even an issue is because the revolutionary magical iPad cannot visit websites with Flash.

I do think it's a bit low of Hulu to use the iPad's Flash shortfall as an excuse bang everyone $10 bucks a month.