Apple releases updated $999 MacBook with GeForce 320M graphics

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Frankly if you're an Apple fan in the UK you are a masochist. Apple's comedy UK pricing is little better than swapping the $ sign for a £ sign.

I see there are those still moaning about Apple prices.

Prices below calculated on todays (18/05/10) pricing and exchange rates. And the UK Macbook price including VAT is £849 not £840.

US Macbook Price $999 (no tax) = £691

UK Price £700 (excluding VAT) = $1012

So £9 difference.

If any of you want to buy any Apple hardware in the UK take a student friend along with you and you can get 12% discount on most of the Macs.
  • Reply 42 of 117
    gamringamrin Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garybau View Post

USB2 can do the target disk now with snow leopard

even less reason to have firewire

Can it? That's good to hear. I thought I had heard something about Snow Leopard allowing target disk mode through USB2, but I couldn't remember if I had imagined it.
  • Reply 43 of 117
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Damn, my Santa Rosa MB Pro's video card is rather long in the tooth (which I had my 4 wisdom pulled out last week). I guess my 8600M GT is done for. Then again, I didn't buy this machine 3 years ago to play top flight games. Oh well. Maybe a new laptop in a few years.
  • Reply 44 of 117
    Can someone please tell me how I can exchange the one I just purchased for the newer model??
  • Reply 45 of 117
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benalexe View Post

The 10 hr battery life is a bunch of crap. Just got the 10 hr macbook pro and see maybe about 7 or 8 at the most with not too much running in the background and screen turned down.

Most likely you're right...but presently using the original intel MacBook with ~2hrs of battery life...havng 7-8 hrs would be wonderful!

Ps. Have replaced the battery twice. Apple has replace the bezel and keyboard free (top closure cracked where you lay your wrists) so the inside looks brand new!

Pss. Went to Best Buy to look at the iPad and the MacBook looks very sleek (2009) design.
  • Reply 46 of 117
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

Can someone please tell me how I can exchange the one I just purchased for the newer model??

Check the return policy where you bought it. If you purchased from Apple online, read through this.

Unless it is unopened, you will likely be charged a restocking fee.
  • Reply 47 of 117
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Most likely you're right...but presently using the original intel MacBook with ~2hrs of battery life...havng 7-8 hrs would be wonderful!

Likewise - I have the original MBP, and with normal use (no flash, moderate CPU usage, screen turned down, bluetooth off) I get anywhere between 1.5-2.5 hours. I don't think I've ever had more than three.

Apple also replaced one of my batteries, and I've purchased a second. At least I can hibernate and double my time away from power, but I'd be pretty happy if I only got six hours on a new model!
  • Reply 48 of 117
    joncojonco Posts: 25member
    Because I just bought a MBP 13" on Sunday...
  • Reply 49 of 117
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Likewise - I have the original MBP, and with normal use (no flash, moderate CPU usage, screen turned down, bluetooth off) I get anywhere between 1.5-2.5 hours. I don't think I've ever had more than three.

Apple also replaced one of my batteries, and I've purchased a second. At least I can hibernate and double my time away from power, but I'd be pretty happy if I only got six hours on a new model!

Yep 'd'...same again I replaced a battery and Apple replaced one free, too.

It's been a great machine. Still serving me well. Almost wishing it would break soon so I can justify a new updated MBA with SSD (instant-on).

I would agree with a previous poster that 4gig is now the new RAM minimum.
  • Reply 50 of 117
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

People who don't know about computer specs and are attracted to the soothing white ceramic looks of the case.

Women and children mostly.

It's responses like this that make ignoring you so enjoyable!

• Reply 51 of 117
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Since Apple is using Intel chipsets, they won't have USB3 until Intel delivers - and there's no time frame on that.

Just generically listed as 2011 I believe. Hopefully it will be Q1
  • Reply 52 of 117
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonco View Post

Because I just bought a MBP 13" on Sunday...

The 13" MBP is still better value, in my opinion.

But this version is more within people's budgets, barely.
  • Reply 53 of 117
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Frankly if you're an Apple fan in the UK you are a masochist. Apple's comedy UK pricing is little better than swapping the $ sign for a £ sign.

So fly to the U.S. and buy one. The savings on VAT etc. will pay a decent % of the ticket and you get a vacation out of the deal.
  • Reply 54 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

So fly to the U.S. and buy one. The savings on VAT etc. will pay a decent % of the ticket and you get a vacation out of the deal.

Except that if you're a UK resident, you're required to pay the VAT when entering the country (and possibly import duties, as well). So there's no gain for law-abiding citizens.

If, OTOH, you're advocating criminal activity, you might as well just steal one.
  • Reply 55 of 117
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

ignoring

So why did you reply?
  • Reply 56 of 117
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post

Last year's model included the new adapter.

Its my understanding that the adapters are even newer then the ones from last year (the MBP's adapters were updated with the recent refresh as well). On my 2010 13" MBP, the adapter can also be connected with the cord either pointing backwards or forwards.
  • Reply 57 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

People who don't know about computer specs and are attracted to the soothing white ceramic looks of the case.

Women and children mostly.

I think the white is becoming a bit dated...but always liked it because is was different from the PC world's use of the corporate colors, ie., pallbearer gray and funeral black.

Have an original intel MacBook and iMac and a white 3Gs.

I have come around though the 'aluminum' look of the iMacs and MacBookPros-very elegant!

An now with the advent of the iPad and the new 4G phone looks like I will be going with the new look!
  • Reply 58 of 117
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

If you bought it from an Apple Store there, you have 14 days to return it.

Some of the mail order sites have return policies also.

CGC

Edited: see correction below. Thanks
  • Reply 59 of 117
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

I was really hoping for a new mac mini with that spec as well...

Me as well. And I think the low-end 21.5" iMac still has the 9400M that also needs the 320M.

Does anyone know if the updated white MacBook got audio out on the mini-DisplayPort connector like the refreshed MBPs got? (Not that I'm interested in that model of MacBook, I'm just curious when it will show up in the mini...)
  • Reply 60 of 117
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

If you bought it from an Apple Store there, you have within a month to return it.

Some of the mail order sites have return policies also.

CGC

Isn't Apple's policy for exchanges just 14 days? Or does Canada have different rules?