Hulu subscription plan for Apple iPad to arrive later than expected

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Who-lu?
  • Reply 22 of 56
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    The TV/movie guys think they're so smart for playing tough with Apple. They think they're avoiding the "mistake" of the music industry. In reality, they're just repeating the same mistake. The longer they wait to do a deal that isn't a total rip-off for consumers, the more consumers learn how to get video onto their devices without paying anything at all. The choice here isn't between paid and nothing -- the choice right now is between paid+annoying and free+annoying. The winning solution is paid+convenient. That will trump free+annoying for most people who can afford the $$ (and who cares about the people who can't?).
  • Reply 23 of 56
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil Maneker View Post

Why is Hulu@$10 bad but Netflix@$17 okay?

*IF* it's ad free I'd be willing take another look at hulu, even if it is $10/month.

What are you talking about? You get unlimited streaming from Netflix with their $9 plan. We have Netflix and are pondering canceling our cable service and just using Hulu and torrents for our television watching. If Hulu was able to convince a few sources we watch that currently don't have their full shows available online (Food Network is a good example), we might be willing to pay a monthly sub. $9 for Netflix and $10 for Hulu is still far less than we pay for cable.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    Hulu + Toast = Free Content on iPad
  • Reply 25 of 56
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    There was a time when FM radio was the new kid on the block, and what made it different was, no commercials! There was a time when UHF (all the channels above 13) was different from VHF (channels 2 through 13) because it had no commercials. There was a time when you bought and paid for cable TV to get commercial free content. There was a time when Public Television was different from commercial television because it was paid for by subscribers and had no commercials. The first dose of heroin is often free.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    How exactly is it revolutionary to sell to one person what you are giving away to another?
  • Reply 27 of 56
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

It won't. That's why they are making an app.

According to their comment, an HTML5 Hulu is not in the cards anytime in the near future.

CGC
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

What are you talking about? You get unlimited streaming from Netflix with their $9 plan. We have Netflix and are pondering canceling our cable service and just using Hulu and torrents for our television watching. If Hulu was able to convince a few sources we watch that currently don't have their full shows available online (Food Network is a good example), we might be willing to pay a monthly sub. $9 for Netflix and $10 for Hulu is still far less than we pay for cable.

Pretty much. Over the past 3 days I've watched all of 2 hours of cable and the rest has been Netflix streaming, Hulu, or videos from torrents. Netflix is worth every penny I pay to them but I'm not too sure about Hulu. Their selection is piss poor and the few shows they do have that I give a damn about I can find on the internet. Time Warner's days are numbered.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post

Time Warner's days are numbered.

What does T-W have to do with it? Hulu is a JV of NBC, Fox, and ABC.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    It's great that content owners just get it.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    If you own an iphone or iPod Touch or an iPad, Can't you just transfer your movie files to these devices?

If so, have people gotten too lazy to download these shows and transfer them?

I already pay more than $100 amonth for DirectTV. I would feel like a moron if I had to pay again to watch stuff on these gizmos when I could watch them on my bigscreen.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What does T-W have to do with it? Hulu is a JV of NBC, Fox, and ABC.

I guess what he meant is, nobody will pay for cable or satellite in the future.

I doubt that will happen.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

You do not buy print newspapers, magazines, and other mass media then? Nor subscribe to cable? Nor go to any sports venue? I am sure I missed a lot of other things, that you cannot buy because they have ads, and yet yu pay and additional fee to access.

CGC

Thats a very good point.

It's unfortunate that people seem to have got into their heads that everything should be free.

That said, I'd want at least less ads (and ideally no ads) if I pay a monthly subscription.

I think eventually the goal should be to have advertisers to pay us (the users) to watch their commercials, then we pay for each individual show we watch. That way, if you don't want ads, you can pay out of your own pocket to avoid them, but if you're willing to put up with ads, you can still see the shows with the money you get from the advertisers.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

According to their comment, an HTML5 Hulu is not in the cards anytime in the near future.

CGC

Hulu stated that html5 through a browser wasn't going to be their direction. The talk is that Hulu may write their own iphone app which will deliver their content by a non-browser based method. For example abc.com is not written with html5 to stream video to the iphone/ipad browser. abc wrote an application for the ipad to deliver their content. To my knowledge the only one of the networks that have stated they are going to rewrite their site to use html5 so the video can be viewed through a browser on the iphone/ipad is cbs.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I do think it's a bit low of Hulu to use the iPad's Flash shortfall as an excuse bang everyone $10 bucks a month.

It is not a shortfall. It is a feature.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post

Pretty much. Over the past 3 days I've watched all of 2 hours of cable and the rest has been Netflix streaming, Hulu, or videos from torrents. Netflix is worth every penny I pay to them but I'm not too sure about Hulu. Their selection is piss poor and the few shows they do have that I give a damn about I can find on the internet. Time Warner's days are numbered.

Me too, I get unlimited streaming from Netflix, no commercials and unlimited DVDs (one at a time).

I don't like Hulu's latest Flash player, it has issues, the video will freeze while the audio continues to play or the video breaks up into chunks and is unwatchable. I was just trying to watch Castle and switched instead to ABC.com to see the video. No way am I playing them for anything. I have satellite, but we have no local ABC station so if we want ABC programming on the satellite we have to pay quite a bit extra for it. So I watch all of the ABC shows I like on the internet.

I have also been using the Miro player - http://www.getmiro.com/ It has links to legal torrents and other video sources and I can put urls in the sidebar so I can watch on my favorite sites.

When I get my iPad, I will be watching video, just not Hulu and I will continue to watch the free version of Hulu, I am already paying enough for entertainment via Netflix and satellite.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    I've been cable-free for about a year now. Netflix DVDs and streaming for 1+ year old TV shows, plus Hulu (via Hulu Desktop app) for a selection of current ones, all through my TV connected to my MBP.

What I want, when I want.

Hulu may not have all the shows I want, but if it did I would have no life, just like when I had cable.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

It is not a shortfall. It is a feature.

How is the lack of something (flash support) a feature? No, it's a shortfall. Want proof? You can't watch Hulu (amongst other things) on an iPad.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Thats a very good point.

It's unfortunate that people seem to have got into their heads that everything should be free.

Because there are so many internet sites that are free -- provided you are willing to have your privacy invaded, accept inaccurate information or downright deception, risk getting spams or get your identify stolen.

This is not to say that there are no good free sites. There are many. They just got burried sometimes in mountains of trash.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

That said, I'd want at least less ads (and ideally no ads) if I pay a monthly subscription.

That was my hope with paid cable channels.

[QUOTE=PaulI think eventually the goal should be to have advertisers to pay us (the users) to watch their commercials, then we pay for each individual show we watch. That way, if you don't want ads, you can pay out of your own pocket to avoid them, but if you're willing to put up with ads, you can still see the shows with the money you get from the advertisers.[/QUOTE]

The first part where customers were paid was tried in a number of ways, e.g., giving away a free computer that you then pay by clicking so many given ads. To my knowledge the company went bankrupt.

CGC

• Reply 40 of 56
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Isn't all the content through Hulu the most unoriginal uninspired rubbish anyhow? Why subscribe to something that encourages them more?