Apple issues iPhone OS 4 beta 4, may support AT&T US tethering

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The next beta of iPhone OS 4 has dropped, inching Apple toward its final release, which is expected to coincide with WWDC in June.

The new release appears to invoke tethering options for AT&T in the US. iPhone OS 3 introduced tethering support in software, but AT&T has been among the carriers failing to support the feature.

A new configuration panel appears to indicate that AT&T has worked out its issues related to refusing to support tethering on the iPhone (it supports tethering with other phones, but apparently fears that iPhone users would overwhelm its network) and will have a billing program in place by the time iPhone OS 4 ships.

The new Internet Tethering setup panel directs users to call AT&T or visit its website to setup tethering on their account.

Other new features spotted by beta testers as noted by Gizmodo include the ability to view photo Camera Rolls in landscape, more useful wallpaper images, an option to turn off group MMS messaging, and a generally faster interface throughout, ranging from call dialing to Maps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Really, I do want to be excited about this, but it's not going to be much good when I get dropped every 5-10 minutes...
  • Reply 2 of 46
    mutoneonmutoneon Posts: 51member
    I know the second generation iPhone 3G won't support multitasking, but I'm very interested to know how the "improved performance" mentioned applies to that model specifically. To say that Maps could use a performance boost is an understatement.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    blowabsblowabs Posts: 70member
    Finally teth is comin'!

iPhone meet PB G4(hope it's close to free?).
  • Reply 4 of 46
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blowabs View Post

Finally teth is comin'!

iPhone meet PB G4(hope it's close to free?).

Nice dream!
  • Reply 5 of 46
    mutoneonmutoneon Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

Really, I do want to be excited about this, but it's not going to be much good when I get dropped every 5-10 minutes...

Stop torturing yourself and get a phone on a different carrier. I get 5 bars all the time down here in Portland, but I've been up there to Seattle, and I know it can be pretty spotty in places. For the money they charge, such performance is unacceptable. I wouldn't put up with it if I were you.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

Stop torturing yourself and get a phone on a different carrier. I get 5 bars all the time down here in Portland, but I've been up there to Seattle, and I know it can be pretty spotty in places. For the money they charge, such performance is unacceptable. I wouldn't put up with it if I were you.

or move to the uk
  • Reply 7 of 46
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member
    Does anyone know if the new iPhone will be out at the same time as the OS, or which will come out first?
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Does anyone know if the new iPhone will be out at the same time as the OS, or which will come out first?

If I remember correctly OS 3.0 came out a couple of days before the 3GS but I may be wrong
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

generally faster interface throughout, ranging from call dialing to Maps.

Is the faster interface with or without multitasking does anyone know?
  • Reply 10 of 46
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Why are all the blog sites fixating on tethering - can't we have a more general 'what's new in b4' please?
  • Reply 11 of 46
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Why are all the blog sites fixating on tethering - can't we have a more general 'what's new in b4' please?

Wallpaper and bug fixes
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Wallpaper and bug fixes

So we finally get home-screen backgrounds on the 3G?
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Good Fella View Post

So we finally get home-screen backgrounds on the 3G?

Nope.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    If backgrounds are not supported in the 3G version. That would be crazy lame.

I have the 3GS but still. Come on.

You could somehow see why no multitasking on the 3G.. But backgrounds.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

According to history 4.0 will be available with the next generation iPhone. However my crystal ball is somewhat foggy, so I don't know anything about it ...

Edit: after some research, last year the beta 5 of OS 3.0 was given to devs on May 7th, announced june 8th, and released June 17th.

I was hoping the fact that OS 4 beta 4 was out could indicate an early launch, but it looks like we still have no indication whatsoever on when the new iPhone will launch.

(http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._0_beta_5.html)

(http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...june_17th.html)

Edit2: The 3GS went on sale the 19th of June, so two days after OS 3.0 became available.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

If backgrounds are not supported in the 3G version. That would be crazy lame.

I have the 3GS but still. Come on.

You could somehow see why no multitasking on the 3G.. But backgrounds.

you will get homescreen backgrounds on the 3G, as well as other features such as folders: however more demanding features such as video recording and multitasking will remain 3GS and above only.

EDIT: the above is wrong, sorry
  • Reply 17 of 46
    kulak18kulak18 Posts: 16member
    ATT can suck my left testicle. We already pay for an data play, it should matter how you use the play. Big Brother just wants more to set up there inferior network. I don't know how many of you out there are content with this lacking network. I for one, am waiting till Verizon get the phone. Death to ATT.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kulak18 View Post

ATT can suck my left testicle. We already pay for an data play, it should matter how you use the play. Big Brother just wants more to set up there inferior network. I don't know how many of you out there are content with this lacking network. I for one, am waiting till Verizon get the phone. Death to ATT.

I'm not american, but over here (UK) all the service providers charge extra for tethering so I don't see why it would be unreasnoable for AT&T to charge for tethering on the iPhone
  • Reply 19 of 46
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I'm not american, but over here (UK) all the service providers charge extra for tethering so I don't see why it would be unreasnoable for AT&T to charge for tethering on the iPhone

But do you get another data cap? On the three carriers (O2, Orange and Vodafone) I have found limits of 750 - 1000 MB on the data plans with fair usage policy. So it would make sense to charge for tethering if they give you more usage.

I was hoping they wouldn't charge for tethering if you stay within the limit fixed in the plan... \
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

you will get homescreen backgrounds on the 3G, as well as other features such as folders: however more demanding features such as video recording and multitasking will remain 3GS and above only.

No backgrounds for home screen on the 3G in any of the Betas yet.