iPod touch with 2MP camera spotted in yet another Vietnam leak

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Pictures of a new iPod touch sporting a new 2 megapixel camera have surfaced in Vietnam, though it's unknown whether the device was a scrapped 2009 prototype or a forthcoming product release. ...

Is it really unknown? The article presents nothing other than the 64 GB capacity that would indicate it isn't a 2009 prototype, and if you look at the label closely, that's simply wrong, it's 32 GB.

All of these Vietnamese leaks strike me as simple theft of prototypes by someone in the supply chain in the far east. Such prototypes have always existed, but no one previously would think of breaking their NDA to show them. It need not have anything to do with Vietnam in than that they might just be the buyers of the merchandise or the lucky cousin/friend of the thief.

Perhaps after the Gizmodo fiasco, some of those people now see that they can not only get money for leaking, but that no one's going to get in any *real* trouble over it either. This is why it's good business practice to throw the book at people like Jason Chen, when they do get caught.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I think this is the last year's prototype. No design change on this thing (I'm not sure but I think even the resolution is the same though it might be because of the test software running). New touch should be at least a little bit different, otherwise it is getting pretty hard to tell one generation from another visually. And since they are rolling out a new OS, I would opt for a new design to make it instantly recognizable as something that will for sure support OS4.

PS. Of course having a camera could pass as a design difference. I am not sure what to think anymore.

i would hope that this years iPod Touch is thinner because the iPhone prototype acquired by gizmodo is almost as thin as the current iPod touch and has higher res screen, camera, GSM, GPS etc.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    antoshantosh Posts: 4member
    I'd be amazed if this is a prototype of a new Touch. Apple's design language has changed significantly since that gloss chrome back, and become more consistent - see the similarities between the iPad and the prototype 4G iPhone.

I expect the new Touch to have a matt aluminium back, possibly curved in towards the edges similar to the iPad to maintain the feeling of extreme thinness. Alternatively, it might be squarer like the new iPhone - especially if this is needed to fit a camera module.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    The iPod touch includes two NAND flash modules (2x32GB). The sticker reads '64G.' I've updated the original story to reflect this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squeak View Post

No it doesn't. Look at the sticker again....32GB.

• Reply 25 of 62
    neilmneilm Posts: 995member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

If this turns out to be true, why would Apple use an antiquated 2MP camera?

Because that's all you need for 720p HD video?
  • Reply 26 of 62
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simply258 View Post

what's the small hole next to the camera ?

My ZN5 has that too, can't find any documentation anywhere that explains its function, but it is definitely not the microphone, think it might have something to do with autofocus.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    debusohdebusoh Posts: 85member
    I always thought the the iPod touch was identical in size to the iPhone. I guess I never looked that closely. When I am at the Apple store, I was never holding both in my hand at the same time (I don't know if you even can since they are tethered to the tables).

I obviously don't own either - just a nano for me (the fatty).
  • Reply 28 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

It's probably just the software for the factory personel that tests the hardware, before the iPhone OS, region lock and other specifics are loaded onto the phone.

Hope so, it looks like a M$ UI
  • Reply 29 of 62
    debusohdebusoh Posts: 85member
    I thought the reason that they didn't include the camera in the iPod touch was to keep it below $200. I thought Steve even commented as much during or after the announcement of the new model iPod touch.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    I suspect strongly that this is the 2009 iPod Touch prototype.

I'm expecting the update this year to reflect the new iPhone styling at the very least.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    If true this will be a huge FAIL -- 2 megapixel, wtf is that!!!?? In these days of 5mp at bare minimum and many phones and devices now offering 8 or higher mp, to offer 2mp is horribly bad and very 2007-8 (yes, tech changes fast). For Apple's sake I hope this is wrong and maybe fake... they will be laughed out of the keynote if Steve Jobs says with a straight face, "and now it has a great 2 megapixel camera." How is that going to compete with the Flip?! \
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming to WWDC we had to cancel the product launches because Vietnam got a fake memo telling them to release them all...

But there is one more thing.....

"Sorry"
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I suspect strongly that this is the 2009 iPod Touch prototype.

I'm expecting the update this year to reflect the new iPhone styling at the very least.

Sad thing is to me even if it is a 2009 prototype - 2mp would have been still sad and horrible last year, too. 2mp has not been acceptable for 2-3 years now (to me). There is no rationalization for offering such a low quality device in 09 or 2010. I hope this is wrong. Heck, my piece of junk Samsung clam-shell phone in 2004 had a 2mp cam, so this will be inexcusable if true.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

I always thought the the iPod touch was identical in size to the iPhone. I guess I never looked that closely. When I am at the Apple store, I was never holding both in my hand at the same time (I don't know if you even can since they are tethered to the tables).

They're the same height and width; the iPhone is considerably thicker and heavier. I'll leave it as a homework assignment to you to visit the Apple.com website and find the specs yourself.

The cabling is long enough for you to pick up the units at the Apple Store.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

what was that MMI UI? i've never seen it before.

It's part of the design test suite. You'll never see it on a production unit.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

If true this will be a huge FAIL -- 2 megapixel, wtf is that!!!?? In these days of 5mp at bare minimum and many phones and devices now offering 8 or higher mp, to offer 2mp is horribly bad and very 2007-8 (yes, tech changes fast). For Apple's sake I hope this is wrong and maybe fake... they will be laughed out of the keynote if Steve Jobs says with a straight face, "and now it has a great 2 megapixel camera." How is that going to compete with the Flip?! \

The iPod touch is very thin, too thin to accommodate high-quality autofocus camera modules. Allegedly the camera part was scrapped at the last minute because of QA issues.

Let's face it: Apple cannot suspend the laws of physics or ignore the economics of consumer electronics manufacturing. Last year, they likely decided that the available camera modules were not of sufficient quality, so they struck the idea.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

It's probably just the software for the factory personel that tests the hardware, before the iPhone OS, region lock and other specifics are loaded onto the phone.

Nah, this is an engineering sample, not a factory (PVT/Ramp) unit. It is unlikely that factory personnel would have installed the iPhone OS on this device (it would be Apple engineering staff).

Also, it's not a phone, it's an iPod.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Just pictures?

It'd be nice to know if the GSM support is the same old frequencies or additional ones. i.e. T-Mobile USA's 3G frequency.

It's an iPod touch, not a phone. No cellular circuitry.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

I thought the reason that they didn't include the camera in the iPod touch was to keep it below $200. I thought Steve even commented as much during or after the announcement of the new model iPod touch.

Steve did not discuss the absence of a camera. Generally speaking, Apple focuses on what their hardware can do, not what it can't.

The way they kept the price down was to sell the previous generation iPod touch as the entry-level model.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squeak View Post

No it doesn't. Look at the sticker again....32GB.

I'm pretty sure that the current iPod touch has two NAND chips whereas the iPhone only has room for one, thus 2x32GB = 64GB total. The list on the sticker is what the part is, not the total quantity.