International bank switches from BlackBerry to Apple iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

They are giving the employees a choice, not switching them over.

Well, OK, if you want to get technical and all about it.

But the fact remains, that at least the company mentioned in article will be providing iPhones for all new requests. That means the company, at least, IS switching over, but logically will support Blackberry models for some reasonable time for those that prefer to stick with the Blackberry.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Unfortunately, RIM 'roots' r in the pager business of the early nineties. Tech moves so fast I think Apple is way ahead, RIM, while not doomed, its best days are behind them. In tech, if ur not flyin' ur dieing!'

• Reply 43 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

What was it about the iPhone not being enterprise ready?!

The stuff mentioned here coming in June:

"Apple hopes to make further progress in the enterprise market with the release of iPhone OS 4 this summer, which will bring data protection, wireless app distribution, SSL VPN support and more to the handset."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerKnight

Not necessarily, it may be that all new handsets given out will be iPhones but people already owning a Blackberry will be given the option to switch just not forced to. That would constitute a major switch.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    "...so it will be a while before it has any effect on RIM."

Can we bookmark this please?

McD
  • Reply 45 of 53
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

In a phenomenon known as the SCB butter fingers....
  • Reply 46 of 53
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Yes, some of us actually ARE long in the tooth. When you took that sh*t from M$ lovers for as long as we had to, we're never gonna tire of giving it back. Is it "he who laughs last laughs loudest or longest."?

That much frustration build-up, eh?

I don't really see the point. It is not like MS is in the same position Apple was before their new spring. Much as I recall, Windows 7 is the best selling Windows ever, and they are doing well on corporate level with Server 2008 R2 and other products... and at the end of the day, with Office for Mac and bootcamping, Apple is just another client for MS, not that much different from Dell or HP.

MS is in the mud with their mobile offerings but that might change with Windows Phone 7... or whatever they call it. I might be wrong but it seems like decent product overall and with (presumably) good Exchange and MS Office integration, might become popular with corporate IT.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    spicedspiced Posts: 98member
    Go Apple Go Go............
  • Reply 48 of 53
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    M$ is making money from Android, somewhat ironically, HTC is paying them to use it.

I thought that without a physical keyboard Apple is doomed® in the enterprise space.

The large company I work for just got a new rollout of PC's from HP, thousands of them, running XP.

Blackberry users were whining that some of the online tools on the intranet were inaccessible where there was no issue using iPhones.

Blackberry better pull their fingers out and get their webkit based browser out so they are up to date with web based enterprise technology.

Blackberry's are also restricted to 4MB email attachments making them useless for emailing large pdf and other files.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

That much frustration build-up, eh?

I don't really see the point. It is not like MS is in the same position Apple was before their new spring. Much as I recall, Windows 7 is the best selling Windows ever, and they are doing well on corporate level with Server 2008 R2 and other products... and at the end of the day, with Office for Mac and bootcamping, Apple is just another client for MS, not that much different from Dell or HP.

MS is in the mud with their mobile offerings but that might change with Windows Phone 7... or whatever they call it. I might be wrong but it seems like decent product overall and with (presumably) good Exchange and MS Office integration, might become popular with corporate IT.

• Reply 49 of 53
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Apple is Doomed!?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is doomed!?

(Got pipped by NasserAE. Oh well, it's worth hearing twice......)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So what you're saying is "Apple is doomed!?" is doomed!?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That, certainly is snappier®

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

The apple is doomed thing is getting a little long in the tooth guys

nah, as stated by others above...

and I seem to remember it being "Apple is teh doomed!?" and people talking about "teh snappy®", back in the day (when i had a different user account here).
  • Reply 50 of 53
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Apple is just as doomed as Linux on the desktop, for everybody, is just around the corner.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I still miss the BlackBerry Messenger, and hope Apple can make something to compete with it.

Apple doesn't need to. Most corporate accounts use Exchange, and if they have Exchange they have easy access to Microsoft Office Communications Server (OCS). And if MS sticks to their development plans, the next version of OCS will have an iPhone client. Poof - secure IM that can be journaled for legal and discovery reasons just like RIM's BB messenger.

That's the route it looks like we will be going...

EDIT: I wasn't hallucinating, there is a third party OCS client out now: http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/44607
  • Reply 52 of 53
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    It's bigger than reported. I believe Standard and Chartered is part of the RBS group. If I'm right, RBS could be using this as a test bed for the whole group.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    acdeagacdeag Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

It's bigger than reported. I believe Standard and Chartered is part of the RBS group. If I'm right, RBS could be using this as a test bed for the whole group.

Standard Chartered are nothing to do with RBS. RBS tried to buy them in the 1980s but failed. They are an independently quoted bank with its HQ in London