Alleged iPhone 4G part suggests Apple could offer white front panel

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A purported component from Apple's forthcoming fourth-generation iPhone suggests the new handset could have a white external casing on its front side.

As first reported by fscklog, the alleged iPhone 4G part, obtained by Taiwanese website Apple.pro, is white, unlike the current iPhone, as well as the prototype next-generation models previously leaked to the public. The website offered a side-by-side comparison of the white and black front panels, both clearly showing a hole for a forward facing camera.

Apple began offering color options with the iPhone 3G in 2008. The redesign of the iPhone in its second-generation version gave it a polished, plastic back, available in shiny black for the 8GB and 16GB models, or polished white for the 16GB model only. But both the black and white models retained the black front panel surrounding the handset's multitouch LCD screen.

Obtained fourth-generation iPhone prototypes have all shown the device with a black front and back. The new models featured a flat back said to be made of glass or hard plastic that is believed to offer superior reception on the smartphone.

The front and back of the devices were held together by metal sides, another change for the iPhone. The prototype models also featured circular metal volume buttons and a metal vibrate switch.

Earlier Wednesday, cases from China designed to fit the prototype iPhones spotted in the wild were revealed, lending support to earlier rumors that the design of the hardware was near-final. Apple is expected to formally introduce its new iPhone at the Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, which begins on June 7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Wow. Even uglier.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    I was very much against this until I saw the following mockup:

(credit: kontheur on MacRumors Forum)

That's hot.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    cxc273cxc273 Posts: 46member
    It's not bad, I guess. It's like what would have happened if a classic 5G white iPod got it on with an iPhone.

I think I'd still lean toward the black, but I'd like to see the final product on June 7 before making any decision! However, the white does give it a neat, almost retro look. It reminds me a bit of some of the cell phones you might seen in Japan or South Korea.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

... That's hot.

It's a subjective thing of course, but speaking as someone who *always* buys the white gear, .... I ain't buying that.

I would buy a clear glass one if they made it, (by that I mean without the black or white paint on the back plane).

To me, that would be hot.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:

That's hot.

Ideal for girls, arabs and p-diddly

I guess choice is good, but the black version would be the only real option IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:

That's hot.

Oh ok... That's way better than what I had imagined.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Jonathan Ive lost me here. The design of the rumored new iPhone G4 is very worrysome

Of course, it will appeal to the tech savvy pre dominantly male audience. They will love the sleek chunkyness. But hey, they should go Android!

Bring back the curves! I'd like my phone to be feminine <3<3 ? my hand wants to hug the phone, not just hold it!
  • Reply 8 of 42
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Ideal for girls, arabs and p-diddly

Sexist and racist all in one. Bravo!
  • Reply 9 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Love the design of the G4 iPhone, but think the white is ugly.

PS: So are the screws at the bottom going to exist or not?
  • Reply 10 of 42
    I think I would get the black. I do have a white iPhone 3GS and love the color especially since it works well with all cases. That white is too much and needs the screen to be black with the back white like the current 3GS.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Love the design of the G4 iPhone, but think the white is ugly.

PS: So are the screws at the bottom going to exist or not?

The most recent leaks show no screws at the bottom.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Umm. Could the purported "hole for front-facing camera" just be the proximity sensor?
  • Reply 13 of 42
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The most recent leaks show no screws at the bottom.

I don't understand the sudden 'cut-off' horizontal line about level with the home button, rather than making the aluminium case one solid block - any clarification on that?
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

I don't understand the sudden 'cut-off' horizontal line about level with the home button, rather than making the aluminium case one solid block - any clarification on that?

I really like the slits. They are stylistically done. Buy you never know, they might be missing from the final version of the phone but I don't want them to be!
  • Reply 15 of 42
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Jonathan Ive lost me here. The design of the rumored new iPhone G4 is very worrysome

Of course, it will appeal to the tech savvy pre dominantly male audience. They will love the sleek chunkyness. But hey, they should go Android!

Bring back the curves! I'd like my phone to be feminine <3<3 ? my hand wants to hug the phone, not just hold it!

It's a matter of taste and opinion. Not everyone likes the 3GS and not everyone will like the new iPhone design. For me I care more about the OS and less the hardware design. A lot of people will end up putting it inside a case anyways.

I like the new design better than the 3GS but that's just me.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    the moment i read "white front panel" i honestly wondered what the hell were they thinking!?!, but in all honestly after seeing mockup posted above it actually doesn't look too bad.

that said, i'd go with the black.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

The last pictures I have seen of the Vietnamese leak shows they are still there. No idea if they are staying, but my guess would be they are. As far as why they are there has been some speculation, but only speculation.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The last pictures I have seen of the Vietnamese leak shows they are still there. No idea if they are staying, but my guess would be they are. As far as why they are there has been some speculation, but only speculation.

I like them. They give it character.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    ridikulasridikulas Posts: 15member
    When 3g first came out, the white signaled "premium" because only the larger hard drive version had white so maybe they're doing the same thing here.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Sexist and racist all in one. Bravo!

I don't think he was being negative. To be racist or sexist don't you have to imply some demeaning or negative characteristic? Hello Kitty is 'ideal' for Japanese girls.