Teardown of Apple's latest MacBook reveals slightly larger battery

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple added five watt hours and 7.5 grams to the battery in its latest low-end polycarbonate MacBook refresh, helping the notebook achieve an advertised battery life of 10 hours.

iFixit conducted a teardown of Apple's latest laptop, released this week, to discover the slightly tweaked battery, which provides an extra 350 mAh of power. The teardown also revealed that the battery in the mid-2010 MacBook, model number A1342, is compatible with the unibody MacBook refresh issued last October.

The change to the battery required a closer look, as the solutions provider noted that the new battery is identical in size and shape, and also has the same model number: A1331.

"Even so, it still makes continued use of Tri-Wing screws to secure the battery in place," the report said. "Why Apple? Why? Why can't you free us from the oppression and tyranny that is Tri-Wing screws?"

iFixit's look inside found that the mid-2010 model continues to use the same Panasonic UJ898 8x SATA SuperDrive found in the previous model. It also sports GeForce 320M graphics, a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor -- two low power additions also undoubtedly instrumental in the reported 10 hours of battery life.

The new hardware also supports HDMI with audio output. It has the same mercury-free LED-backlit screen found in the late 2009 model.

Apple quietly refreshed its low-end $999 MacBook on Tuesday. Only days before, the hardware was pictured in a leak from Vietnam.

For more, see iFixit's complete teardown of the mid-2010 Apple MacBook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Where would you go about obtaining one of those Tri-wing screwdrivers
  • Reply 2 of 15
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Now if they could only offer a anti-glare version, older folks and those with big bucks shouldn't be the only ones able to take advantage of the anti-glare screens.

Many kids eyes can go bad at a early age getting eyestrain from trying to focus between the computer image and the reflections.

Just like listening to too much loud music or playing too much sports, you can prematurely wear out your body parts if not careful.

But of course we all know Apple is held hostage to the rest of the crappy PC industry for parts, that's why the anti-glare screen computers keep getting more costly each revision. The cheaper glare screens are less expensive to make by the screen makers, no matte film need applied, and we all know how the PC people love cheap.

Keep trying Apple, that's all I can say.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Is there a comparable notebook to the MacBook?

Any idea how they rectify the IGP/GPU issue in their 13" notebooks? Can't just go with Intel HD IGP and there is clearly no room for a dGPU and extra fan without making the case larger or reducing the battery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

? http://www.google.com/products?q=Tri...vers&scoring=p
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

But of course we all know Apple is held hostage to the rest of the crappy PC industry for parts, that's why the anti-glare screen computers keep getting more costly each revision. The cheaper glare screens are less expensive to make by the screen makers, no matte film need applied, and we all know how the PC people love cheap.

Now you're arguing that Apple uses cheap displays? :sigh:
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Now if they could only offer a anti-glare version, older folks and those with big bucks shouldn't be the only ones able to take advantage of the anti-glare screens.

Can't you come up with something new to complain about?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ah, Tri-wings! It used to be that security screwdriver tips were hard to get, and were actually good for security. now, almost every decent hardware store has a set.

If your local hardware store doesn't have them, then type it into Google, and places to buy them will show up. It's pretty obvious.

I see that Sol beat me to it this time.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ranreloadedranreloaded Posts: 397member
    Quote:

If you're into Gameboy Modding, it should be a piece of cake!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is there a comparable notebook to the MacBook?

? http://www.google.com/products?q=Tri...vers&scoring=p

I feel like a fool, sometimes I forget there is something called the internet...
  • Reply 9 of 15
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Triwing-Screwd.../dp/B000S6AG9G

Of course there might be different sizes involved, so a kit would be preferred. Magnetic heads are ideal.

Auto stores and some electronic retailers carry specialty tamper resistant drivers like Torx and Tri-Wings, one might have to ask them as they are sometimes not displayed for good reason.

Craftsman/Sears has a micro-Torx set.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jpdlvmhjpdlvmh Posts: 72member
    What's the problem with TriWing screws ? You can get a driver for these in just about every decent hardware shop, or get one on the web. Costs about a buck.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    azazel-azazel- Posts: 68member
    I have this, and it's well worth $20. Very useful.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

I feel like a fool, sometimes I forget there is something called the internet...

Yep...made me laugh. I do it all the time too!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:

Now you're arguing that Apple uses cheap displays? :sigh:

Quote:

Can't you come up with something new to complain about?

No reason to jump all over him, the imperative for anti glare displays is there, and it can't be ignored, but it's consistently ignored by apple. This is sad and unwarranted.

Of course this is particularly enticing machine because the glossy display isn't anywhere close to the glassy abomination of the 13" macbook pro. So, myself and others are stuck with the pbook g4 12", possibly the best computer apple ever made, no junk chicklet keys, perfect form factor...but it's showing its age.

Refusing to offer this option for the 13" macbook pro, and the shoddy job they've done with the horrendous glares of the imacs, keeps so many people from buying imacs. At least eventually I can suggest this macbook to a few friends and family who are more than eager to buy from apple. But what a shame it is I can't do that for the imac with a clear conscience.

So spot on is belabouring the same point, but that doesn't make the point any less valid, or the need for apple to take action any less crucial.

To paraphrase Steve, this anti glare/glass issue is a bag of hurt, and it's hurting the company a lot more than what they might think.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

No reason to jump all over him, the imperative for anti glare displays is there, and it can't be ignored, but it's consistently ignored by apple. This is sad and unwarranted.

Of course this is particularly enticing machine because the glossy display isn't anywhere close to the glassy abomination of the 13" macbook pro. So, myself and others are stuck with the pbook g4 12", possibly the best computer apple ever made, no junk chicklet keys, perfect form factor...but it's showing its age.

Refusing to offer this option for the 13" macbook pro, and the shoddy job they've done with the horrendous glares of the imacs, keeps so many people from buying imacs. At least eventually I can suggest this macbook to a few friends and family who are more than eager to buy from apple. But what a shame it is I can't do that for the imac with a clear conscience.

So spot on is belabouring the same point, but that doesn't make the point any less valid, or the need for apple to take action any less crucial.

To paraphrase Steve, this anti glare/glass issue is a bag of hurt, and it's hurting the company a lot more than what they might think.

he entire premise and execution is flawed. The comments don't state that he wishes Apple would offer anti-glare in the 13" MBs like they first did with the 17" and later the 15", his comments is that they are held hostage and other hyperbole that makes absolutely no sense.

Just because one person wants it doesn't mean Apple should do it. I want them to remove the ODD, like I did with my Mac. I want them to offer better SSDs, like I added to my Mac. I'm know this is the future of personal computing but I'm taking an Apple is teh Doomed? stance because they don't cater to my specific needs that are not the general wishes of the public at large. Though I guarantee you I can get more support for either of those than the desire for a washed-out looking anti-glare display that only appeals to very few people.

Furthermore, calling one display cheap over another because he's obsessed with glossy v. matte, without looking at any other aspect of the display is quite warranted when I call him out.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:

he entire premise and execution is flawed. The comments don't state that he wishes Apple would offer anti-glare in the 13" MBs like they first did with the 17" and later the 15", his comments is that they are held hostage and other hyperbole that makes absolutely no sense.

Just because one person wants it doesn't mean Apple should do it. I want them to remove the ODD, like I did with my Mac. I want them to offer better SSDs, like I added to my Mac. I'm know this is the future of personal computing but I'm taking an Apple is teh Doomed™ stance because they don't cater to my specific needs that are not the general wishes of the public at large. Though I guarantee you I can get more support for either of those than the desire for a washed-out looking anti-glare display that only appeals to very few people.

Furthermore, calling one display cheap over another because he's obsessed with glossy v. matte, without looking at any other aspect of the display is quite warranted when I call him out.

While I do agree with most of your points, an ssd is something you can easily replace with something better, unlike screens. Aside from SpotOn's case though:

Those "washed out" anti glare screens look stunning in the macbook pros, and all the people I know have opted for them, regardless of the extra cost. So to label them "washed out" is patently unfair. The 13" mbp desperately demands an antiglare option to replace the pbook 12" g4, and it's overdue. The imacs are stunning machines, esp. the 27" is best in class, they have evolved to what the personal computer should always have been, keeping apple's vision from the 80s and evolving it into powerful, beautiful machines. That said, the while the aesthetics of glass are desirable (I love glass as material, it's sustainable, it's natural, it's a good choice) you eventually have to admit that apple has done a shoddy job with the glares and not merely react to people who over apply this problem to attack apple.

Nor should you continue to deny a large minority of users who just absolutely cannot handle glare. These issues have become overdue imperatives, and apple should wake up and smell the coffee: the most mobile pro machine should get anti glare, or at least lose the glass as an option, and the imac if they are unwilling to remove the glass, then they should find parts providers with much much better a/r coating. You go into an office or computer room with multiple machines and you see these ugly dell beasts running windows 7 with gorgeous anti glare screens, and then you look at the stunning industrial design and os x in the imacs, and yet from any angle or distance you look at them, you see a huge distracting mirror. That is such a damn shame.

It's not about f.cking blu ray, better ssds, the mini tower mac, flash on the iphone or any of that crap that matters little at the end of the day for different respective reasons, it's about basic usability and ergonomics, it's about eyesight health and accessibility. It's one of the few genuine sore thumbs in apple's well thought out strategy and steady development.