iPad has 91% consumer satisfaction, demand greater than pre-launch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A pair of new surveys from ChangeWave show that demand for the iPad has grown since the device hit the market in early April, while 91 percent of those who already bought one are satisfied with their purchase.

The results of the two surveys conducted in May were revealed Thursday by ChangeWave. One polled 3,174 consumers to measure future demand for the iPad, while a second survey of 153 new iPad owners set out to discover their impressions of the device.

In the larger study of general consumers, 7 percent of respondents said they are "very likely" to buy an iPad, while another 13 percent said they are "somewhat likely." That's the highest level of consumer interest ChangeWave has seen in the iPad to date.

In February, a previous survey from the same company found that 4 percent of respondents were "very likely" to buy, and 9 percent said they were "somewhat likely." While those numbers were lower than the current totals, they were also higher than the pre-release demand for the iPhone based on a 2007 survey.

Among those polled in ChangeWave's May survey, 245 identified themselves as currently owning an e-reader. Among those, 62 percent currently have an Amazon Kindle, versus 16 percent for the iPad -- just weeks after the hardware's release.

A major change from the February survey came in the form of content read on e-readers. The introduction of the iPad resulted in spikes of newspaper, magazine and blog reading on portable e-readers. Both online newspaper and magazine reading were up 7 percent, while blogs increased 1 percent.

Half of those who own an iPad said they read newspapers on their device, compared to just 14 percent of all other e-reader owners. And 38 percent of iPad owners read magazines, compared to 11 percent of other e-reader owners.

"In short," the ChangeWave study said, "more than 3 times as many iPad e-Reader owners say they read Newspapers and Magazines as do all other e-Reader owners."

ChangeWave's survey of 153 new iPad owners found that 74 percent said they are "very satisfied" with their purchase, and another 17 percent are "somewhat satisfied." Just 2 percent said they were unsatisfied.

"The iPad ratings are nearly identical to the highest rated Smart Phone among consumers -- the Apple iPhone," the report said. "But we note that Apple has now reached these nosebleed levels with a brand new product."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Flop
  • Reply 2 of 55
    ggfggf Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Flop

lol sorry I need 5 characters so lol again
  • Reply 3 of 55
    Why is there 8% "Don't know / NA"? They still haven't figure out what to do with it have they?
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

Why is there 8% "Don't know / NA"? They still haven't figure out what to do with it have they?

It only does the one thing. There's a sucker born every minute. Maybe 2 in Apples case. \
  • Reply 5 of 55
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    Slow news day?

I like Appleinsider a lot, but items like this make me cringe. It makes you look like the branch of the Apple Marketing dept. Or maybe I'm just naive, you guys don't work for Apple do you?
  • Reply 6 of 55
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

In the larger study of general consumers, 7 percent of respondents said they are "very likely" to buy an iPad, while another 13 percent said they are "somewhat likely."

Keeping things in perspective, that means 80% are unlikely or not to get a iPad, but thats everyone, not just computer users exclusively.

The iPods (non iTouch) has a 36% adoption rate among computer users, quite fantastic.

The iTouch has 9% adoption rate, not bad, but not as good as the iPods.

If the iPad gets a 4-5% adoption rate, that would be quite good and likely about 13 million sold per year.

I think though once the Mac market gets done buying iPads it will be slow going for the PC crowd, they can get a better deal with a netbook or a laptop for the same prices.

Also PC makers are announcing tablet devices, they might chose to wait for better prices. A netbook goes for $300-$350, so a PC tablet should be about $200-$300.

So what I'm thinking is the iPad will mostly be a Mac user thing.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

It only does the one thing. There's a sucker born every minute. Maybe 2 in Apples case. \

Please tell me oh mighty oracle was is that 'one' thing it does.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

Because, in any survey, there will always be some percentage who won't express an opinion.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Quote:

I have an iPad, I bought my mom an iPad just a week ago.

It does a lot of things, at this point I have no interest justifying my purchase with my money to you.

Either you get it or you don't. Insulting people for their gadget preference is juvenile.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    So much for those statements of the "pundits" that the iPad would fail and demand would level off quickly after the initial fanboys bought them. See, it's appealing to more than just a niche. This is huge.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    i cannot wait to see the sale figures when ipad hits europe...they'll eat it up over there
  • Reply 12 of 55
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Slow news day?

I like Appleinsider a lot, but items like this make me cringe. It makes you look like the branch of the Apple Marketing dept. Or maybe I'm just naive, you guys don't work for Apple do you?

The don't read it!
  • Reply 13 of 55
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleinsider View Post

changewave's survey of 153 new ipad owners found...

• Reply 14 of 55
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

i cannot wait to see the sale figures when ipad hits europe...they'll eat it up over there

It might be a bigger hit in Japan. You could argue that it is the device they have been waiting for for years. Only challenge is the need for a PC.

(Wonder if anybody will hack a SheevaPlug to act as a host computer for an iPad?)
  • Reply 15 of 55
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:

If you got a problem with Apple products, how about stop reading the Apple news stories loser?
  • Reply 16 of 55
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Please tell me oh mighty oracle was is that 'one' thing it does.

And just WHAT is that "one thing" oh might smartass?
  • Reply 17 of 55
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Good for iPad. Good for Apple.

People who compare iPad to iPods are wrong. It is different with iPod. It has no successful competitor. And iPad was introduced to be in between your mac and iphone hence targeted at mac/iphone customer base.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

...they can get a better deal with a netbook or a laptop for the same prices.

Netbooks are not a better deal at any price. Nice try though.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Meaning "If it doesn'T do Fladh -> It does nothing?"

--NO!

Meaning "Thinking Different = Trashing Herd mentality"?

--YES!

Is there a USA company that gives you more to choose from, by setting its own standards, differentiating itself from the same, oh! same, herd mentality?

Isn't that Liberty (you seems concerned about liberty?)

Isn't Thinking Different itself running free?

C'mon Apple is tiny and it fears NOT being tiny.

So why you fear Apple being tiny?

Can tiny take off your liberty?

Or being different kills you?
  • Reply 20 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, we all know how reliable and trustworthy the ChangeWave® name is, so this information is unassailable.