Google introduces Android-powered Apple TV competitor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 285
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

Finally Apple has some competition in this area. Hopefully it will stimulate some upgrades and enhancements to the Apple TV product.

Hopefully, this will spur Apple to get serious or get out of Apple TV altogether. My hope is they buy Netflix.
  • Reply 22 of 285
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Google is becoming a ravenous rat.

the "Me Too" company.

pathetic.
  • Reply 23 of 285
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    doesn't look like a direct competitor to me.
  • Reply 24 of 285
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

I really don't want or need Google on my HDTV and home theater.

Agreed. Nor all the flood of these crappy media players, neither the apple tv can compete (functionality vise) with the Dune and Popcorn players anyway.
  • Reply 25 of 285
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    If I understand this correctly. They are not providing content, just a new way to access available content right? I guess if it runs Android, you may get some interesting subscription apps in time, as well as access to anything on the internet.

I'm still waiting for the device that can eliminate my cable bill. This sounds like a nice step forward though, flipping through channels to find what you're looking for isn't the best way to do things.
  • Reply 26 of 285
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Google is becoming a ravenous rat.

the "Me Too" company.

pathetic.

I especially enjoyed how they acquired SimplifyMedia. Google can't do anything anymore except piggyback someone else's tech and buy startups. Does that sound familiar? God forbid that they can't manage to create their own media management solution.

I can't wait until they go the full route and allow Android users to run iPhone apps!
  • Reply 27 of 285
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    1. Buy El Gato

2. Integrate their cable/OTA hardware into Mac Mini Media Server w/HDMI

3. Upgrade Apple TV to 1080p, bigger on-board storage, enhanced Front Row
  • Reply 28 of 285
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

As an Apple TV owner I can tell you this looks like it will blow apple TV away. I still don't understand the lack of browser support on the apple tv.

If they don't take Apple TV out of hobby status ... they might as well shut it down.

I watched the keynote and yes it does blow the Apple TV away. There is no need to hit input on your remote to switch to another input source. It works on the same source as your tv.

It's a seamless integration allow you to search basically search the entire internet while you are watching your tv and you can do this by typing in your query or just talking to it. It also integrates with the Android marketplace allowing you to purchase apps or run your purchased apps on your tv.

You can also pull up websites and since there is full support for flash you can watch Hulu, Clicker ... practically any website right on your tv. It looks very promising.

Now I'm excited to see what Apple is going to come up with to counter Google TV. You go to love competition.
  • Reply 29 of 285
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Lots on questions...

- No mention of DVR so is it 'not for now' or 'not gonna go there'

- No mention of quality, 720p? 1080i, 1080p?

- No mention of Netflix and/or Hulu (by design or are they working on one/both of them)

- No mention of ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC or any of the cable channels who provide episodes.

It's gotta be something more than a 'Chrome Browser' in a set-top box or in my eyes it will no a non-starter and somewhere BELOW the existing AppleTV in appeal.

__UNLESS__

That is unless... this box an open platform that developers can deploy 'stations' (streaming apps) on to **and** if it supported 1080p with good audio support. Then it's an entirely different product and one that Apple will be KICKING themselves for not doing first.

I realize that Apple can only 'effectively' juggle so many 'major projects' at the same time but the Apple TV ___NEEDS___ an SDK and not the iPhone SDK as many are wishing for. The iPhone SDK is all about GESTURES the Apple TV is all about simple 'remote' navigation. Just think for a second how useless an iPhone or iPad app would be on an Apple TV.

Now what to do? Divide the talented develops at Apple between the iPhone and iPad and NOW the AppleTV or keep moving in the general direction of being 100% focused on the iPhone SDK platform. Oh and lets not forget ... Apple still has a COMPUTER OS it needs to maintain... However something tells me 10.7 is simmering on the WAY BACK back burner and the WWDC keynote agenda all but confirms that.

Dave
  • Reply 30 of 285
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ekeefe41 View Post

I don't understand how this is competition to AppleTV? AppleTV is an extension of iTunes to your TV where you can buy movies and TV shows. Google TV brings the web to your TV.

Is there even a web browser on AppleTV?

I know everyone is all jacked up looking for more Apple Vs Google fodder, but i don't think this new product really applies.

If I'm not mistaken, the demo showed a Netflix icon and Pandora, so you already have your streaming media right there.

You can run apps from the Market on GoogleTV and from the keynote on the Market, it looks like music and other media should be coming.

Add to that the demo where you can pick a searched show and play it from a number of online sources instead of being slaved to the cable box.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Lots on questions...

- No mention of DVR so is it 'not for now' or 'not gonna go there'

- No mention of quality, 720p? 1080i, 1080p?

- No mention of Netflix and/or Hulu (by design or are they working on one/both of them)

- No mention of ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC or any of the cable channels who provide episodes.

It's gotta be something more than a 'Chrome Browser' in a set-top box or in my eyes it will no a non-starter and somewhere BELOW the existing AppleTV in appeal.

[snip]

Dave

I'm assuming you just read the article instead of watching today's keynote. It answers a lot of your questions.

- From what I can tell, DVR is part of it.

- That is still an open question, as no real tech specs were given. Though I'm going to assume that it'll cover all ranges of the usual HD resolutions.

- Netflix and Hulu were shown on the screen during the demo, so we can safely say they're in on it.

- Wouldn't surprise me if the cable companies start pumping content to it. You can already access past episodes from their websites.
  • Reply 31 of 285
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I own an Apple TV as well, but I don't see any difference between the two other than the Goolgle TV has a native browser whereas I had to hack my AppleTV to add browsing. Also, even though I have an AppleTV, I must say in comparison to a Mac Mini or laptop, these devices stink. I hooked my Macbook Pro to my HDTV and not only do I have access to iTunes and the entire web(including Hulu), but i also can play DVDs and CDs and can perform all other computer related tasks(unlike either of these devices).

You know how people say an iPhone is the best because it just works, right out of the box? Well that applies here. People want a set-top box that just works. Nobody wants to have to hack their box just to add web browsing. And nobody wants to have to hook up their computer just to browse the web or stream a few clips. Having a browser built-in is gold. I really don't understand why Apple hasn't done that yet on Apple TV. It's the only thing keeping me from buying an Apple TV.
  • Reply 32 of 285
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:

I believe the only thing that can save apple, in this TV market, is a subscription model with iTunes. If that happens Apple will be very strong ... perhaps stronger than google can ever be with the iTunes head start.

The problem is the TV networks and Hollywood are afraid of letting iTunes dominate. They saw what happened to the music labels. Apple might get a subscription deal, but they won't be allowed to be the only game in town. Consumers will have other options like Hulu, the BBC iPlayer, Netflixs, etc available on the GoogleTV.
  • Reply 33 of 285
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

If I understand this correctly. They are not providing content, just a new way to access available content right? I guess if it runs Android, you may get some interesting subscription apps in time, as well as access to anything on the internet.

I'm still waiting for the device that can eliminate my cable bill. This sounds like a nice step forward though, flipping through channels to find what you're looking for isn't the best way to do things.

Google, unlike "un-boxeed" apple tv connect to hulu for the free content and amazon for iTunes like content, so they will have no trouble there. Wouldn't be surprised to see netflix added also. Google will go out and find all the free content that is available. Also, unlike apple tv they will play flash. Google has made it clear flash is a big part of the future for their device.
  • Reply 34 of 285
    Google has finally done something better than Apple (other than copying). I'm definitely not pleased with Google's general rip off of Apple's iPhone OS with Android etc but on this one they have gone much further than Apple was willing to go and good on them. Apple's vision problem was that they wanted to keep AppleTV tied to iTunes and keep a closed shop. The result is that to really use AppleTV more fully you have to use something like aTV Flash or Boxee or Plex but all of those lack overall integration. IMO Google TV really does seem a lightyear ahead of that. The addition of non-phone specific android apps running on your tellie is a good one.

This isn't the death of Apple or any of that kind of non-sense, but in this particular niche Apple may not be able to catch up unless they're willing to open up AppleTV to let users outside the iTunes walled garden. I'm not sure Apple are eager to do that. But maybe they'll have a good think now if Google is able to attract a large enough market to pique Apple's interest. Otherwise I suspect Apple will turn to the iPad as their device to control tellies.

Boxee, Plex and my awful Sony PS3 as a media centre all seem dead to me.

I'm not sure Flash is that big a deal though, esp with the timeline Google laid out essentially making summer 2011 the real launch date. HTML 5 for streaming video is rapidly gathering steam as provider after provider is announcing HTML5 solutions. I think GoogleTV's strengths are elsewhere.
  • Reply 35 of 285
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

So......the keyboard just sits on the coffee table next to the remotes?

Use any smartphone as a remote?
  • Reply 36 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

The problem is the TV networks and Hollywood are afraid of letting iTunes dominate. They saw what happened to the music labels. Apple might get a subscription deal, but they won't be allowed to be the only game in town. Consumers will have other options like Hulu, the BBC iPlayer, Netflixs, etc available on the GoogleTV.

Unfortunately i agree with you here.
  • Reply 37 of 285
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Someone's got a chip on their shoulder...

The fact that Google has some big names onboard with them is a plus. There plenty of retail advertisment potential to get the name and concept out there. You can bet that Sony will plaster a GoogleTV sticker on the TVs they have on display. And they have a physical, nation-wide retailer (Best Buy) that everyone goes to.

We'll see whether or not this catches on...

Chip on shoulder? that is a cop out for a non-argument against someone who calls it like it is versus your personal bias.

Google TV has one good thing going for it. They want to partenr with cable companies and double as an STB. That is all. Apple really should have done this too, but they have their own ideas. I fail to see where anything in my previous post qualifies as inexplicable angst versus flatly stating facts and logically concluding motive. Google is flatly becoming "evil." They have been so all along, but now they are emerging from the shadows in broad daylight. What they have done is steal ideas from someone who they were partnered with at the director level. That is worse than bad.

Kirk out.

P.s. if those crayola looking google tv stickers show up on a classy sony tv, then i will buy a samsung.
  • Reply 38 of 285
    no price announced yet! We have to wait and see.
  • Reply 39 of 285
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Chip on shoulder? that is a cop out for a non-argument against someone who calls it like it is versus your personal bias.

Google TV has one good thing going for it. They want to partenr with cable companies and double as an STB. That is all. Apple really should have done this too, but they have their own ideas. I fail to see where anything in my previous post qualifies as inexplicable angst versus flatly stating facts and logically concluding motive. Google is flatly becoming "evil." They have been so all along, but now they are emerging from the shadows in broad daylight. What they have done is steal ideas from someone who they were partnered with at the director level. That is worse than bad.

Kirk out.

Mmm, that chip's really dug in deep...

I never said that anything you said wasn't true. You clearly have just as much of a bias against Google if anything by the tone of your posts.

You can scream bloody murder all you want, but if this takes off, the general public's not really going to care that Google took the idea Apple had and went further with it.
  • Reply 40 of 285
    Quote:

As an Apple TV owner I can tell you this looks like it will blow apple TV away. I still don't understand the lack of browser support on the apple tv.

The purpose of the AppleTV is to stream the iTunes content from your Mac. And it does that very well.

Not a failing of the product if you want it to be something else.