Google introduces Android-powered Apple TV competitor

Comments

• Reply 41 of 285
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

That is unless... this box an open platform that developers can deploy 'stations' (streaming apps) on to **and** if it supported 1080p with good audio support. Then it's an entirely different product and one that Apple will be KICKING themselves for not doing first.

Exactly. It runs Android and you can write Apps for it. It includes the Android marketplace. ABC, CBS, NBC, Hulu, etc, might not have been mentioned, but they can write their own apps for GoogleTV.

This has the potential for doing for the living room what the iPhone/AppStore did for the cellphone.
  • Reply 42 of 285
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

You know how people say an iPhone is the best because it just works, right out of the box? Well that applies here. People want a set-top box that just works. Nobody wants to have to hack their box just to add web browsing. And nobody wants to have to hook up their computer just to browse the web or stream a few clips. Having a browser built-in is gold. I really don't understand why Apple hasn't done that yet on Apple TV. It's the only thing keeping me from buying an Apple TV.

The issue really isn't that simple. Hulu will eventually block this because they want users to watch it live for ratings. Watching a couple of clips is cool but there really isn't a solution here. Most will use YouTube which is already available on the AppleTV. The ultimate goal has been to move TV to the web where it should be. Windows Media Center still is another alternative that ha been around for awhile now (with more features).

The only box that I'd purchase is the Roku player for watching Netflix. The AppleTV is still not there nor is the product from Google. I can just hook up my MBP, use Boxee and get the same kind of experience (with the Apple Remote).
  • Reply 43 of 285
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    The real problem here is that Google rarely does anything well. They acquire all sorts of properties, only to allow them to languish with no improvements and no technical support and no quality experience for the customer. Blogger.com anyone? Just one example.
  • Reply 44 of 285
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I

- Wouldn't surprise me if the cable companies start pumping content to it. You can already access past episodes from their websites.

Yes, the thing to watch here is what fancast will do. fancast is a recent comcast purchase that i think is better than hulu at this point (at least if you are a comcast subscriber).
  • Reply 45 of 285
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    If Apple can do just three things on top of what @tv currently does: (i) Make @tv stream anything that is on my desktop/laptop/iPad screen on my TV screen; (ii) Allow for @tv to record programs from cable on to its hard drive (in HD); (iii) Come with a built-in disc player (preferably Blu-Ray), it will blow away just about everything else in the home entertainment media market, let alone this vaporware Google product.

It's so simple, Apple; c'mon, you can do it.

Don't need web browsing on my TV. Thanks.
  • Reply 46 of 285
    cxc273cxc273 Posts: 46member
    I think the Holy Grail for most users is one box that will do it all and do it in an easy manner. The Google TV concept sounds promising, but they really need to keep the user experience in mind.

I really like the idea of Apple TV -- I've been wanting to take the plunge, but it seems to me that Apple's device is lacking the killer app -- something that makes it so compelling, like for iPod, iPhone, or the Mac. Adding a browser seems to be a no-brainer, and adding DVR capability would be nice too.

I know that Apple's never really been about overloading features in their products, but Apple TV still feels a bit half-baked to me.
  • Reply 47 of 285
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

I watched the keynote and yes it does blow the Apple TV away. There is no need to hit input on your remote to switch to another input source. It works on the same source as your tv.

Could you elaborate on that? Are you saying that the Google TV and your Cable Box will both be connected to the HDMI-1 port on the TV? Does Google TV have an integrated HDMI switcher? So the cable box connects to the google box and somehow google auto switches between input based on if you turn the google box on?

That would be pretty cool...

Google TV box off... Cable TV HDMI pass-thru the GTV box unmolested to the TV

Google TV box turned on... Google TV signal gets fed to the TV instead.

Google TV box turned back off... Cable TV snaps back!

Great idea and something Apple should have done...

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... non-tech types will not use any form of VIDEO SIGNAL SWITCHER and implementing them is going to give you nothing but upset wives, inlaws, parents, etc.

*Nontech Home Invader: "Hey I've got this black screen when I turned the TV on"

Me: "Okay someone left it on the AppleTV input... just pick up the remote and keep pressing input until the cable box channel appears"

NTHI: "Keep pressing WHAT until WHEN?!?!"

ME: "Okay, I'm on my way just sit tight..." (over the years I've learned to give up while I'm .. only slightly behind)

NTHI: "Gosh I never knew it could be THIS difficult to just watch some TV"

ME: /facepalm

*NTHI = Parents, inlaws, wife, aunts, uncles, insert your own favorite non-tech visitor.
  • Reply 48 of 285
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) I called this a year ago but I thought it would be Chrome OS, not Android.

2) These will likely all be very shitty implementations for a long time to come. Just look at current internet-ready TVs. However, it's even more imperative that Apple get a viable media extender appliance to market.
  • Reply 49 of 285
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Google is becoming a ravenous rat.

the "Me Too" company.

pathetic.

"Me too" has been Microsoft's strategy and it works if done right, as much as some of us may personally dislike it.
  • Reply 50 of 285
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Google is becoming a ravenous rat.

the "Me Too" company.

pathetic.

Does anyone long for the days when Microsoft was the ravenous rat and the "Me Too" company?

Wonder what happened to MS?

I used to remember when MS had so many posts on these rumor sites, so often, as the 'competition' with Apple, that people use to complain what was the significance of having MS stories on an Apple Rumor and News site...

Poor, poor MS...
  • Reply 51 of 285
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Google is hilarious talking about Google TV in the present tense and like they really know what consumers want, yet only showing cartoon mock-ups. Google also acts like we've never seen a TiVo or other DVR with search. It appears GTV will not include DVR functionality. Whoop-dee-doo.

One detail omitted: just as with Android phones, software updates and security patches will require purchase of a new Google TV.

As to why Apple never provided a web browser in the Apple TV, perhaps they will now, but only after a hardware refresh that provides Bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse. Just by supporting a keyboard, mouse and browser, any device like Apple TV or a DVR would become far easier to use and blow GTV out of the water.

In case anyone believes the government is going to help protect the public's privacy:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0307/3043.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061902058.html

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...g-contacts.ars
  • Reply 52 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) These will likely all be very shitty implementations for a long time to come. Just look at current internet-ready TVs. However, it's even more imperative that Apple get a viable media extender appliance to market.

I thought it would be chrome also. Very clever of them to make it android to strengthen the relevance of that OS. Looking at the brief presentation stories and photos i have seen, this looks like a pretty good first iteration. Not sure I will buy yet ... price is a big factor that they have no released.
  • Reply 53 of 285
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Isn't this basically a MacMini that can search your cable channels?

And sorry, but the first minute of that movie looked like an infomercial

"Is your IQ so low its impossible to figure out when your television programs are on?

Do you have to cancel important functions to watch tv? (even though VCRs have been around for 40 years?) well now finally there is an alternative!"

My Cable TV already has a search function and I'm not an idiot so I can figure out how to PVR something that is on at a bad time. To me, this product seems fairly useless.

The AppleTV isn't great either, but its got a specific purpose. Maybe AppleTV is simply overpriced for what you get, so people think it should be more than it is.
  • Reply 54 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

As to why Apple never provided a web browser in the Apple TV, perhaps they will now, but only after a hardware refresh that provides Bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse.

Actually the iphone does a great job solving keyboard needs ... apple sells a remote app that connects nicely with appleTV. They are either too "lazy" to add the necessary features (to use a Steve Jobs word) or they haven't figured out how to make money. The latter is more likely.
  • Reply 55 of 285
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Google has made it clear flash is a big part of the future for their device.

And that is were their whole thing goes sideways.
  • Reply 56 of 285
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ekeefe41 View Post

I don't understand how this is competition to AppleTV? AppleTV is an extension of iTunes to your TV where you can buy movies and TV shows. Google TV brings the web to your TV.

Is there even a web browser on AppleTV?

I know everyone is all jacked up looking for more Apple Vs Google fodder, but i don't think this new product really applies.

Apple TV, the Netflix TV product and Google TV (at least as described) are all marginally successful attempts to present a better UI than your cable carrier.

None them will get above niche product status unless they either (1) make a deal with one or two of the major cable carriers to replace the set-top box interface, or (2) put together a content deal that allows you to bypass cable altogether, which is going to require a comprehensive package of current-season TV shows.

The most do-able best case scenario for consumers would be Google the first and Apple doing the second, which would give many people a better cable product than they have now (Google TV-driven cable) and, effectively, one more choice for TV content than they have now (Apple TV). I say "effectively" because Apple TV is already an option but still needs to work out deals with the networks for a subscriptions pricing model and streaming HD of news, sports and special event content to be a serious cable competitor.
  • Reply 57 of 285
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I really think that this is an area in which Google is getting it right, and Apple is getting it wrong.

Apple just HAS to open up. I understand what they are doing from their perspective, but in the long run, it's not going to win. They have to support more content partners, and codecs. And they have to move faster. Google has shown that they are not like Microsoft, Palm, and others. They can move swiftly. And with their software being free to anyone, it's a big temptation.

On my iPad, I can't play mpeg. It's got to be m4v plus a few other formats that Apple uses. Why? I can't think of a single useful reason.

Also, the iPhone OS doesn't recognize JPEG2000. How can that be? It means that I've got to have Preview re-encode every PDF with images that was a scanned document in order for it to be able to have its images seen. It also results in a much bigger file. Why is this? My Mac has no problems here.

Apple has to lose some of its stubbornness. Even for those of us who have used the platform for many years, as well as the new devices, it can get frustrating at times.
  • Reply 58 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

And that is were their whole thing goes sideways.

Yes it goes sideways on mobile devices. But for this application i can see where flash is an advantage.
  • Reply 59 of 285
    clexmanclexman Posts: 208member
    Wow! Most of you here have had your heads buried in Apple's sandbox for too long. The number of devices and software out there that performs similar functions in huge. AppleTV is so far behind that it really doesn't compete.

Google also announced today that the latest Android build streams iTunes libraries.

Lets compare:

AppleTV

Streams Apple content

Allows you to buy Apple content with your remote

Google TV

Streams Apple content

Allows you to buy content from several vendors with your remote

Netflix

Hulu

Full web browser (ABC, NBC, FOX, CW, CBS, Sexy Time etc...)

Windows Media Center

All of the above + DVR for cable TV including premium encrypted channels (can record 6+ channels at once)

When used with WHS V2 can stream your TV shows, Music and DVD library over the web to anyone anywhere (Includes transcoding to reduce bandwidth needed based on internet connection).
  • Reply 60 of 285
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I'm assuming you just read the article instead of watching today's keynote. It answers a lot of your questions.

Assumption incorrect... I watched the animated video twice now and instead of LOTS of my questions being answered it answered none of them.

- It made NO mention of having DVR capabilities tho it made it seem like it did when it said it will 'SEARCH YOUR RECORDED PROGRAMS' which is not the same as 'IT CAN RECORD PROGRAMS'.

- It made NO mention of output quality for video or audio

- Netflix WAS shown but HULU was NOT (as far as I can tell anyway) and HULU has made it clear that THEIR content is NOT intended for the TV mostly due to the wishes of the content owners and the fear of the cable systems. Netflix was a no brainer, its agreement with whoever it gets its media from has no problem with the stuff being seen on TV screens.

- As for the major broadcast stations and big cable channels... They are in a very awkward position... they have to be very careful with how they allow their content is presented since the cable systems will retaliate if they fear their subscriber base might be tempted to cancel their overpriced services. So it actually WOULD surprise me if Google TV was allowed to stream full quality 'main stream' shows onto a HD TV.