Google introduces Android-powered Apple TV competitor

Comments

• Reply 61 of 285
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

Finally Apple has some competition in this area. Hopefully it will stimulate some upgrades and enhancements to the Apple TV product.

iPhone OS + AppleTV = Instant dominance over GoogleTV Why can't Apple get their act together on this?!
  • Reply 62 of 285
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Referring to Steve Jobs promotion of HTML5, Gundotra says in his introduction, "Hey, we'll take support from wherever we can get it."

Sounds like Gundotra/Google believes the Internet is theirs, not everyone's.
  • Reply 63 of 285
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    This just in:

Android-powered coffee maker

Android-powered blow-up doll

Android-powered pr0n videos

Android-powered landfills

Android-powered <insert next useless Android-powered appliance here>

And of course, an Android-powered Android.

Did I miss anything?

</yawn>
  • Reply 64 of 285
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

- Netflix WAS shown but HULU was NOT (as far as I can tell anyway)

according to news stories i've read hulu was shown. Not sure yet if it's true. Also engaget says hulu is locked out of the new android phone with 10.1 flash. Work on google tv but not the phone? interesting.
  • Reply 65 of 285
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clexman View Post

Wow! Most of you here have had your heads buried in Apple's sandbox for too long. The number of devices and software out there that performs similar functions in huge. AppleTV is so far behind that it really doesn't compete.

Yea I'm __kinda__ with you but lets not be too boastful without knowing all the facts.

- HULU has made it VERY clear that their service was intended for the computer screen and NOT the TV screen. The reason was tied back to the content owners who are very much in fear of screwing their relationship with the cable systems.

- The networks ARE the 'content owners' (in many cases) and I'd be very surprised if you were allowed to display a full HD quality program from CBS or ABC or NBC thu the Google TV box and onto an HDTV. The reason is the same as above... 'the cable systems'.

The content owners make LOTS of money from the cable systems and given the current level of legally viewable shows the only thing cable has left going for it is that they have it all 'organized' this google device has the ability to solve that last problem and this is the reason why I have NO doubt the major networks will block GTV devices from getting the top quality content off their web sites.
  • Reply 66 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Google is hilarious talking about Google TV in the present tense and like they really know what consumers want, yet only showing cartoon mock-ups. Google also acts like we've never seen a TiVo or other DVR with search. It appears GTV will not include DVR functionality. Whoop-dee-doo.

One detail omitted: just as with Android phones, software updates and security patches will require purchase of a new Google TV.

As to why Apple never provided a web browser in the Apple TV, perhaps they will now, but only after a hardware refresh that provides Bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse. Just by supporting a keyboard, mouse and browser, any device like Apple TV or a DVR would become far easier to use and blow GTV out of the water.

In case anyone believes the government is going to help protect the public's privacy:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0307/3043.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061902058.html

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...g-contacts.ars

it's a similar strategy that worked for microsoft with the courier as well...do a cute video (vaporware)...and fans will go crazy for it
  • Reply 67 of 285
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member
    The areas that this OS is going (and its rapidity), when you stand back and look at the big picture, is amazing.

The way things are lined up in the market, with Apple and its iPhone OS (which is in the iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone and Apple TV?) deploying to its hardware (where its had the market it built) and now here comes the free android OS open to all hardware vendors - really reminds me of the watching what happened in the personal computer market in the early to mid 80's (i.e. Apple was sitting great with its Apple II and one day woke up to find the IBM PC and eventually all hardware makers of PC's - just totally extended and ran away with the market at cheap prices on MSDOS and eventually Windows relegating Apple to a very small part of that market).

This really reminds me of the early stages of that (yeah I'm that old).

Is Android shaping up to be the MSDOS/Windows of the non PC computer market? It really seems like it. The more places it gets deployed on, the more attractive it becomes.

What are the implications for Apple if that is the case?
  • Reply 68 of 285
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    This will fail for the same reason Apple TV fails. Most people who would consider this will also easily figure out that you can just hook up a bigger monitor or tv to any old computer.
  • Reply 69 of 285
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Assumption incorrect... I watched the animated video twice now and instead of LOTS of my questions being answered it answered none of them.

- It made NO mention of having DVR capabilities tho it made it seem like it did when it said it will 'SEARCH YOUR RECORDED PROGRAMS' which is not the same as 'IT CAN RECORD PROGRAMS'.

- It made NO mention of output quality for video or audio

- Netflix WAS shown but HULU was NOT (as far as I can tell anyway) and HULU has made it clear that THEIR content is NOT intended for the TV mostly due to the wishes of the content owners and the fear of the cable systems. Netflix was a no brainer, its agreement with whoever it gets its media from has no problem with the stuff being seen on TV screens.

- As for the major broadcast stations and big cable channels... They are in a very awkward position... they have to be very careful with how they allow their content is presented since the cable systems will retaliate if they fear their subscriber base might be tempted to cancel their overpriced services. So it actually WOULD surprise me if Google TV was allowed to stream full quality 'main stream' shows onto a HD TV.

DVR is not part of Google TV. However, we could easily see DVRs with GoogleTV. Then again if you are streaming video off the internet do you really need a DVR?

Quality is 720p or 1080p. Apps should at least support 720P and GoogleTV will upscale it or Apps can support both.

Hulu might not have been mentioned but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a subscription based App similar Hulu for the iPad.
  • Reply 70 of 285
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

On my iPad, I can't play mpeg. It's got to be m4v plus a few other formats that Apple uses. Why? I can't think of a single useful reason.

Also, the iPhone OS doesn't recognize JPEG2000. How can that be? It means that I've got to have Preview re-encode every PDF with images that was a scanned document in order for it to be able to have its images seen. It also results in a much bigger file. Why is this? My Mac has no problems here.

Both of those things are not at all true. mpeg-4 and pdfs display fine. it's not Apple's fault you're one of 7 people who used jpeg2000.
  • Reply 71 of 285
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Google, unlike "un-boxeed" apple tv connect to hulu for the free content and amazon for iTunes like content, so they will have no trouble there. Wouldn't be surprised to see netflix added also. Google will go out and find all the free content that is available. Also, unlike apple tv they will play flash. Google has made it clear flash is a big part of the future for their device.

Hulu will likely block it like they have for android phones, the ps3 and boxee. I didn't ask for opinions on Flash or the current Apple TV. I asked if they were providing any content distribution. Which it appears they are not. This is a content aggregator, which is great in it's own right, but it doesn't provide any new service. This is a great step forward, but I'm still hoping for an online subscription service that can fully replace cable.

Google TV plus a subscription service would be great, but maybe Apple is closer to getting such a deal.
  • Reply 72 of 285
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

according to news stories i've read hulu was shown. Not sure yet if it's true. Also engaget says hulu is locked out of the new android phone with 10.1 flash. Work on google tv but not the phone? interesting.

Hopefully things have changed... it would be nice even tho everything I'm reading about the Hulu paid service is rubbing me the wrong way.

Interesting Link: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...hulu-tvco.html

Quote:

Of course, Hulu's owners have been notoriously reluctant to support Internet-on-TV technology for fear of harming the cable TV companies that figure prominently in their business models. But there's intense interest among tech companies in providing a bridge from the Net to the TV, so it's going to happen with or without the networks' support. For example, DivX and Rovi, two software developers with broad partnerships among consumer electronics manufacturers, also are positioning themselves to provide a platform for online video in set-tops and TVs, as are Boxee, Apple and Microsoft.

The rest can be read here: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/hulu/
  • Reply 73 of 285
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

This will fail for the same reason Apple TV fails. Most people who would consider this will also easily figure out that you can just hook up a bigger monitor or tv to any old computer.

Sony and others are going to build it into HDTVs and Blu-ray players. The reason it could succeed is suddenly people who don't know how to hook up a "bigger monitor or tv to any old computer" can use it. Just like the iPhone unlocked the mobile web for the masses this has the same potential for web TV.
  • Reply 74 of 285
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

iPhone OS + AppleTV = Instant dominance over GoogleTV Why can't Apple get their act together on this?!

Because it's not June 7th yet
  • Reply 75 of 285
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:

As an Apple TV owner I can tell you this looks like it will blow apple TV away. I still don't understand the lack of browser support on the apple tv.

If they don't take Apple TV out of hobby status ... they might as well shut it down.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Reply 76 of 285
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

... it's not Apple's fault you're one of 7 people who used jpeg2000.

This part is an unfair dig. Jpeg2000 is widely used in some circles, is a standard, and is pegged as the replacement for "regular" jpegs. It's neither obscure, unique, nor is it just some random format created by another company AFAIK.
  • Reply 77 of 285
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Sony and others are going to build it into HDTVs and Blu-ray players. The reason it could succeed is suddenly people who don't know how to hook up a "bigger monitor or tv to any old computer" can use it. Just like the iPhone unlocked the mobile web for the masses this has the same potential for web TV.

The fact that Android will allow itself to be licenced and built into TV's will inevitably push Apple to make their own TV sets.

Apple to swallow Sony in 3, 2, 1 ...
  • Reply 78 of 285
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I'd buy that over the AppleTV. It sounds just like something I'd want. Make sense to me and I'm left wondering why Apple couldn't have done that (search, web browser, etc). Apple just wants to funnel everyone to iTunes for their content. I love Apple products but refuse to be tied to iTunes.
  • Reply 79 of 285
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Assumption incorrect... I watched the animated video twice now and instead of LOTS of my questions being answered it answered none of them.

Ok, that's fine, I take back the assumption.

DISH mentioned that GoogleTV would allow you to search their content, as well as web content, and save it to their DVR. So while the GoogleTV box itself doesn't have DVR, the feature is supported. I can't imagine it would be drastically different for the cable company.

Again, while they didn't mention the HD resolution, I can't see them going any lower than 720p.

I don't see how you can't access Hulu via the browser. Hulu can't possibly block all Chrome browser access from their site in an effort to keep it off of GoogleTV. It not being optimized for the TV screen size is the only drawback I see at the moment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

The areas that this OS is going (and its rapidity), when you stand back and look at the big picture, is amazing.

[snip]

Is Android shaping up to be the MSDOS/Windows of the non PC computer market? It really seems like it. The more places it gets deployed on, the more attractive it becomes.

What are the implications for Apple if that is the case?

I have to agree that it certainly does look like Android is becoming the new Windows.

I personally am waiting for the day Google presses the big green button and all Android-powered devices take on their own life.
  • Reply 80 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

Finally Apple has some competition in this area. Hopefully it will stimulate some upgrades and enhancements to the Apple TV product.

Oh god I hope so.

Maury