Comments

• Reply 121 of 285
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

It's more than a browser: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_OS

Well, from that source:

Quote:

... As a browser incorporating a media player will be the only application residing on the device, ...

So, from the perspective of the user experience, it's just a browser.
  • Reply 122 of 285
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    This looks a lot more like a TiVo competitor than an AppleTV competitor.
  • Reply 123 of 285
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    I just don't believe Eric Schmidt can be trusted with fully indexed and cross referenced TV/Movie/video viewing habits for an entire nation. It's just too much information in one repository, controlled by the one guy who has worse privacy instincts than Mark Zuckerberg.
  • Reply 124 of 285
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

No, use a separate box that plugs into the ATV for this. You definitely don't want to load it's processor ........

Again, this is MUCH better handled by an external box. Just repackage the drive ......

Big deal. Make it three separate boxes if needed, but patch them together with a nice-looking external skin, and call it "Apple TV."
  • Reply 125 of 285
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I hope this happens but i doubt it. Not a good idea to mislead your share holders by calling apple tv a hobby and then surprising everyone by releasing an apple tv device with iphoneOS. ...

Yeah, that whole iPhone/iPad thing has been a disaster for them, releasing them after Steve said no one wanted to watch video on a little screen. I hear the shareholders are up in arms about this, as well they should be!
  • Reply 126 of 285
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Could you elaborate on that? Are you saying that the Google TV and your Cable Box will both be connected to the HDMI-1 port on the TV? Does Google TV have an integrated HDMI switcher? So the cable box connects to the google box and somehow google auto switches between input based on if you turn the google box on?

That would be pretty cool...

Yeah, the Google TV box (if not integrated into the tv like the Sony Bravia) will connect to the TV using HDMI. Also looks like the cable signal will go through the Google TV box so you won't have to switch signals to use Google TV. This allows for the seamless integration that they showed.

So for example when you want to search for something (upcoming show, movies that are on, what ever) a single search bar shows up at the top of the screen over-layed over the show you are watching and you can type or say your search query. The results are also overlayed over your current programming so you can continue to watch your show while your are using these features.

Another example they showed was browsing the web while having your programming show in an in-picture window.

Another feature was using google translate to translate the close-caption in realtime while your watching your show.

Looked pretty nice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... non-tech types will not use any form of VIDEO SIGNAL SWITCHER and implementing them is going to give you nothing but upset wives, inlaws, parents, etc.

Lol, yup. Fully agree with you. That's one reason Google TV looks very promising.
  • Reply 127 of 285
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rockaw View Post

AppleTV is a "hobby" because Apple chose to not integrate DVR functionality. End of story.

If AppleTV had a built in DVR, they would sell millions of them. Instead, you have to kludge it into your hometheater setup and juggle inputs between the TiVo and the AppleTV. It's just confusing to many TV watchers (not you or me or others on this forum, but it's difficult for your mother in law or grandmother).

It's not too late for Apple to add DVR. The extra hardware sales will offset the incremental loss in iTunes downloads for TV Shows.

You're wrong. The reason why it's a "hobby" is because the networks have refused to go along with a subscription service or $.99/show that Apple offered. You can already get a DVR for ont $10/month but the truth is that it's really not worth it. Networks already program their best shows to start a couple of minutes after you start your dvr so you miss the ending (ie American Idol). They want the ad paid equivalent to a live audience.

The issue is the networks will not cave until there is a web revenue plan that equals what they get paid now. This is part of the reason why iAds exists.
  • Reply 128 of 285
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

This will fail for the same reason Apple TV fails. Most people who would consider this will also easily figure out that you can just hook up a bigger monitor or tv to any old computer.

Actually, that's exactly why it'll succeed. But most non-techies don't want to be bothered with connecting an old computer or any computer to their TV.

I think people are missing the point here. It's not one box. It's just like the phone side of the house. Google provides the software, the OEMs' build the box. And the cable cos will sell the box.

In a year or two when you go to your cable/satellite co. you'll have the option of purchasing/leasing a vanilla cable receiver/DVR or a Google box made by Logitech, Sony, Samsung, Scientific Atlanta (maybe), etc.
  • Reply 129 of 285
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, that whole iPhone/iPad thing has been a disaster for them, releasing them after Steve said no one wanted to watch video on a little screen. I hear the shareholders are up in arms about this, as well they should be!

The difference is he didn't say those things in a quarterly financial call.
  • Reply 130 of 285
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Well considering the Apple TV actually exists, and the Google TV does not, I think Apple has an enormous lead.

That said, I think you hit on the key issues though. ATV needs a browser (and keyboard support of some sort to go with it), and an app store. These really do seem like complete no-brainers.

I would also like to see several hardware options, including a DVD and tuner.

Google's main advantage is with multiple partners they can give you all those hardware options you are asking for. Want GoogleTV built into your LCD HDTV so there is no extra box? You'll be able to get that. Want GoogleTV with a Blu-ray player? You'll be able to get that. Want GoogleTV with a DVR? You can probably bet someone will offer that as well. etc.

Apple hasn't sold that many AppleTVs. Yes they have sold more than Google at this stage but I don't think we can call it an "enormous lead" or Apple would have published sales figures and would not be calling it a hobby.

The AppleTV is a good idea but was probably ahead of its time. Home internet speeds weren't good enough and there were difficulties with content licensing especially outside the US. Given a few more years and various improvements maybe the AppleTV would have started to take off, but now GoogleTV is launching I think demand for the AppleTV will disappear.

Maybe Apple will release a GoogleTV app so I can watch the TV shows and movies I bought from iTunes.
  • Reply 131 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

The issue really isn't that simple. Hulu will eventually block this because they want users to watch it live for ratings. Watching a couple of clips is cool but there really isn't a solution here.

You guys are all assuming, that this is all about Hulu. It's not. Heck, most of the rest of the world doesn't even get Hulu. This is more than that. Just imagine that in a few years each of the networks has an app for Google TV and streams content directly to your TV.

HTPC's are great. But they are cumbersome to setup and operate for the average person. This thing will simply replace your current cable box. And you'll get extra functionality. That's it.

Don't think of it as a competitor to Apple TV (which is really just a box that extends iTunes to your TV...nothing more). Think of it as a replacement for the cable co DVR sitting in your living room right now. That's where this whole thing is heading.
  • Reply 132 of 285
    erybovicerybovic Posts: 37member
    I love the fact that Mr. Softy is left back with the dust. Who knows with all the cash that they have maybe they can buy their way out of this.
  • Reply 133 of 285
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I want an APPLE SEARCH ENGINE!!!!

what would they call it spotlight.com?
  • Reply 134 of 285
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Google is hilarious talking about Google TV in the present tense and like they really know what consumers want, yet only showing cartoon mock-ups. Google also acts like we've never seen a TiVo or other DVR with search. It appears GTV will not include DVR functionality. Whoop-dee-doo.

Watch the keynote: http://www.youtube.com/user/GoogleDevelopers

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

As to why Apple never provided a web browser in the Apple TV, perhaps they will now, but only after a hardware refresh that provides Bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse. Just by supporting a keyboard, mouse and browser, any device like Apple TV or a DVR would become far easier to use and blow GTV out of the water.

In the keynote they used a blue tooth keyboard to control the Google TV, but they said they will leave it up to developers and manufacturers to create input/control devices.

I think Apple will come out with a killer product that you might be able to control using your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad or some multi-touch enabled device.
  • Reply 135 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

this looks a lot more like a tivo competitor than an appletv competitor.

+1.....
  • Reply 136 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

I think Apple will come out with a killer product that you might be able to control using your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad or some multi-touch enabled device.

I hope so. That would be, indeed, a killer.

I am still wondering/puzzled: What the heck is that USB slot for, in @tv?! Does anyone know?
  • Reply 137 of 285
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am still wondering/puzzled: What the heck is that USB slot for, in @tv?! Does anyone know?

External hard-drive?
  • Reply 138 of 285
    Not that I think Hulu is central to the success of this Google project, but how would Hulu block this?

Presumably, you would just use the Chrome browser that's built into the OS to access Hulu and play content. How would they distinguish whether you're using Chrome on a laptop or Chrome on a GTV box?

I could be wrong. Just asking....
  • Reply 139 of 285
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, you use it to hack the apple tv so you can install boxee and watch hulu of course!

http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/

But seriously an apple technician told me it was for diagnostics, at least in the short term.
  • Reply 140 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

External hard-drive?

Not that I know of.

Can you say more?