iPad 3G remains completely sold out at US Apple retail stores

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Checks with 50 Apple retail stores found that the iPad 3G remains completely sold out in the U.S. weeks after its release and 7 days ahead of the device's international launch.

Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray said his team contacted representatives at 50 Apple retail stores and found that 74 percent of them were sold out of all models of the iPad, with the Wi-Fi model available in 26 percent of stores, and the 3G version sold out. It's been the same story for Apple since the iPad 3G first launched on April 30 in the U.S.

To deal with the limited supply, Apple's stores have begun offering customers the opportunity to be placed on a "Notify Me" waiting list, which will have the store hold an iPad when it arrives for 24 hours. One Apple store representative told Munster that customers who enlist in the in-store reservation system typically wait 4 to 7 days to receive an iPad. That's better than the 7 to 10 day wait found via Apple's online store.

Munster said constrained supplies suggest there could be an upside to his projection of 1.3 million units sold in the Apple quarter. But he also cautioned that Apple's inability to meet demand means that some near-term Wall Street projections are "getting ahead" of what the Cupertino, Calif., company can actually supply.

"GIven the international iPad launch on 5/28, and continued strong demand in the U.S., we expect supply constraints to last through the June quarter, reaching equilibrium in mid-to-late Sept. quarter," Munster wrote.

The first day of iPad 3G sales was enough to push the device past the 1 million milestone, with Apple reaching that many sales just 28 days after the hardware was introduced. Apple officials have admitted that they were caught off guard by the strong sales start of the new device.

Demand in the U.S. forced Apple to delay the international launch of the iPad until next Friday, May 28. The device -- both Wi-Fi-only and 3G models -- will be introduced to customers in nine countries: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the U.K. Further launches in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore will occur in July. Apple has said it will announce launch dates for nine additional countries at a later date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Is the iPad really that great or is it an OK product backed by a lot of hype?
  • Reply 2 of 47
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

It is a great product, with over 91% user satisfaction according to a recent survey.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

I love your humor. Good one. It was a joke .. right?

Off topic ... AAPL must be the best buy out there right now people!
  • Reply 4 of 47
    I wish they'd get them in stock... been calling every day. I have the WiFi iPad and very much want to have connectivity all over. I was going to just order it online but I kept thinking it would come back into the store before long. So far, I've been wrong on that thought...
  • Reply 5 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinite_entropy View Post

I wish they'd get them in stock... been calling every day. I have the WiFi iPad and very much want to have connectivity all over. I was going to just order it online but I kept thinking it would come back into the store before long. So far, I've been wrong on that thought...

Well if troberts above is correct, perhaps you don't really want one you are a victim of hype! On the other hand as you already own a wifi one and want another one with 3G perhaps you should answer him directly
  • Reply 6 of 47
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Check your article: "some near-term Wall Street projects are ".
  • Reply 7 of 47
    applecationapplecation Posts: 147member
    I've been trying to find one this whole past week. I wanted one for a trip this weekend. This is like trying to get a Wii a couple of years ago.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    elmcitywebelmcityweb Posts: 109member
    Great, just when I start to think about gifting my wifi iPad and getting a 3G, there's none to be found.

Now I have time to think about it, thanks for ruining my impulse buy, Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Thanks to the Euro thing, Apple stocks and Cirrus Logic Stocks are getting so low I am thinking of making a loan to buy more.

I think next Apple quarter is going to be nuts. But Ipad profits per unit are low atm compare to the iphone profits per unit. So expect huge income increase but about same profit has last quarter.

Since CRUS is making the audio parts on all ipads, that stock next quarter is going to be nothing short of amazing.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    The market prefers netbooks
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

The problem with netbooks is too many co. sells them. Competition is fierce and no one is making good profits out of them. They may still sell a lot, but profit is too low. Just like smartphone market, Iphone are not at the top in gross sales, but they sure are at the top on the profit side.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    Quote:

It is hype. It is an Apple product isn't it? It is a large ipod touch. It is revolutionary just like the mac, the apple mouse, the iphone, the newton, the appleTV, etc, etc, etc. It will change your life. You won't know how you can live without it. browse the internet with something you can hold in your hand. Amazing. Manipulate pictures with your fingers. Unbelieveable.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Do you have a Best Buy around you? They could have them. The do at the store here where I am. Have a lot of the Wi-Fi and just got a load of 20 3G iPads...
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Do you have a Best Buy around you? They could have them. The do at the store here where I am. Have a lot of the Wi-Fi and just got a load of 20 3G iPads...

The thing I have noticed in the case of BestBuy VS AppleStore is Applestores received a constant stream of small shipments on a daily basis while Bestbuys tend to received large shipments weekly. So if your lucky your local Bestbuy may have just received some. I recommend buying over the phone and do a pickup to make sure you have one.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    rmcstevermcsteve Posts: 1member
    I hate to say it but I think the article is wrong about the in-store waiting time for a reservation. There are posts at numerous forums about reservations taking weeks to fill. There's a great thread over at ipadforums.net about this very topic. The stores are telling people 3-5, 5-7 days and those that do get one usually end up waiting at least 2 weeks or more. Personally, I'm on day 10 and was told at the start that it would be 3-5. I'm moving on to a netbook in a couple more days though.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Where are you located? I have been into 20 best buy stores while travelling in NY, NJ and CA this week and not a single iPad to be had!
  • Reply 17 of 47
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well if troberts above is correct, perhaps you don't really want one you are a victim of hype! On the other hand as you already own a wifi one and want another one with 3G perhaps you should answer him directly

Yup. Hype, for sure. As the owner of two 3Gs, I am a victim...... \

Not.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

The fact that the iPad is consistently sold out flies in the face of that claim, but let's assume for a moment it's true:

The manufacturers of netbooks are NOT happy selling them. The margins are tiny. Netbooks yield low single-digit profits while the iPad garners AAPL over 25% per unit. Who do you think is happy about that? Not Dell, not HP. So let the market keep loving netbooks. It will drive all of AAPL's competitors into the ground.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Of course, you could always get MiFi. Yes, it's more expensive than the 3G data plan from AT&T for the iPad, but you can connect 5 devices to it at a time so if you have more than one iPad, laptops or phones you want to have wifi access it makes sense. Plus I hate AT&T so it's nice to have a Verizon device. Not to mention the fact that you can either go the full two year contract route or pay as you go. The only thing that may be a problem for some people is the 5GB limit. Hasn't been a problem for me though because I don't use it all of the time.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    I love my iPad, though I have had it only a few days and have yet to subscribe to a 3g data plan. So far the only time I would need it is on the train and at that time I'm reading the Wall Street Journal (iPad edition) and do not need a data connection.

However, I love it even more now that I learned how to type on it! http://divelove.wordpress.com/2010/0...g-on-the-ipad/

I hope this helps people who were touch typists and were bothered by having to hunt and peck when in landscape mode...