Apple shipping iPad preorders, opens international App Store, iBookstore

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A week before the iPad arrives in nine new countries, Apple has begun shipping some international preorders, and has also opened overseas versions of the iPad App Store and iBookstore.

Some in the U.K. who purchased an iPad overseas notified AppleInsider on Friday that that their order has officially shipped. One order, placed on May 9, had its status updated to "shipped," though an estimated delivery date was not listed.

As with the U.S. launch, Apple has likely ensured that deliveries will not be made until Friday, May 28 -- the international sale date. Stateside customers who tracked their order through UPS saw the shipment sit in a holding pattern for days before the Saturday, April 3 delivery.

Unlike the April 3 U.S. launch, when only the Wi-Fi iPad went on sale, international customers will be able to purchase both the Wi-Fi and 3G version of Apple's new multitouch device. Next week's launch will occur in nine countries: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the U.K.

In preparation for the launch, Apple has also begun opening its App Store and iBookstore for the iPad in overseas countries. Engadget received word from numerous users this week that the European and Australian App Stores are now up and running.

In addition, Apple has begun populating its international iBookstores with foreign-language versions of free, public domain Project Gutenberg titles. The books, such as Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice," are the same ones that have been available in the U.S. iBookstore since it launched.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    No wonder there are no iPads to be found in the stores!
  • Reply 2 of 74
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

No wonder there are no iPads to be found in the stores!

Pretty much. Looks like production levels are too low to really support the demand. Hope it stabilizes (or production ramp-up) in the next few weeks.

But hey... if Apple is selling all the units they can make, there are worse things to worry about.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... As with the U.S. launch, Apple has likely ensured that deliveries will not be made until Friday, May 28 -- the international sale date. Stateside customers who tracked their order through UPS saw the shipment sit in a holding pattern for days before the Saturday, April 3 delivery. ...

This is not likely to be true at all.

The US launch was different in that it was the first appearance of the product. Also the delivery notices all state that the delivery would happen *no later* than the 28th. That's a written contract AFAIKS.

The logistics of making sure that all of the iPads arrive *before* the end of the 28th is bad enough. Why would they burden themselves (for really no reason at all), with the task of making them all arrive all around the world both no sooner and also no later than the 28th. The enormity of that task is staggering.

If they can make them come sooner than the 28th they will, just to limit their liability if nothing else.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    ippyboiippyboi Posts: 12member
    Well that is my iPad order and I do hope it gets here before the 28th...

But the TNT shipment does not show a delivery date as yet.. just sent TNT express China
  • Reply 5 of 74
    Yay us. As with the early pre-order, iBookstore is not showing in the Canadian store yet. Though I did get ship notification of my SIM card.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is not likely to be true at all.

The US launch was different in that it was the first appearance of the product. Also the delivery notices all state that the delivery would happen *no later* than the 28th. That's a written contract AFAIKS.

The logistics of making sure that all of the iPads arrive *before* the end of the 28th is bad enough. Why would they burden themselves (for really no reason at all), with the task of making them all arrive all around the world both no sooner and also no later than the 28th. The enormity of that task is staggering.

If they can make them come sooner than the 28th they will, just to limit their liability if nothing else.

You are 100% correct, the iPad is out now, so no need to have a big launch day.

My order says 'Delivery by 28th May', which clearly shows it can appear before then.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satan_penguin View Post

Yay us. As with the early pre-order, iBookstore is not showing in the Canadian store yet. Though I did get ship notification of my SIM card.

Yeah, most of that stuff from yesterday about the International stores being open already was false anyway. The US tech writers were just misinterpreting things and talking about stuff they had no knowledge of.

I'm also in Canada, and so far ...

- the iPad app store is *not* up and running

- the only iPad apps that appear are the crappy ones or the ""Universal" (iPhone/iPad) ones

- Pages, Numbers, iBooks, etc. are all still missing in action

Also, no one I know (out of about five friends ordering various models), has received a ship notice or even had their credit card charged.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    I have been downloading free Project Gutenberg ebooks in ePub format to my desktop and syncing them to the iPad via iTunes. I add cover art by dragging and dropping images on the book when it is highlighted in iTunes before syncing.

If I download a French book, the interactive dictionary in iBooks is unavailable, whether the iPad is switched to English or French language, though the 'Dictionnaire' choice is available when a word is highlighted - there's just no dictionary available.

Does anyone have any idea if/when foreign language dictionaries will be made available on US iPads?

Apple's US site is quite clear that only the English dictionary is available currently.

Thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    In the UK the iPad app store isnt like in the US storeas yet but you can put a search in for ipad and it bring up the ipad apps.

I bought Angry Birds HD which is an iPad only app
  • Reply 10 of 74
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    "Shipped", means it's on a ship off the coast of China.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    bill_fbill_f Posts: 6member
    May be some holiday delays en route?

21 May 2010 \t17:30:00 \tShenzhen \tRegional/national Holiday. Delivery At First Opportunity.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

"Shipped", means it's on a ship off the coast of China.

As long as it isnt flying with British Airways...
  • Reply 13 of 74
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satan_penguin View Post

yeah. me too. way to get me excited...

oddly enough the estimated arrival for the $0.20 sim was stated as June 3. not that i care to actually buy any airtime any time soon...
  • Reply 14 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill_F View Post

May be some holiday delays en route?

21 May 2010 \t17:30:00 \tShenzhen \tRegional/national Holiday. Delivery At First Opportunity.

The 24th is Victoria Day in a lot of places also.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    kelskels Posts: 4member
    My 3G 64GB hasn't shipped yet :-(

Could be they're sending the 32's first, who knows, it's just a matter of checking every five minutes from now!

K
  • Reply 16 of 74
    My 64GB Wifi is "prepared for shipment"

Kind of hoping it does arrive before Friday, suppose to be going away after work on Friday so I'd have to take my laptop with me to set it up, which defends the point straight away
  • Reply 17 of 74
    I'm from Canada and my credit card was charged this morning. Shipping by May 28th.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    It does look like things are progressing a little early.

When I viewed my order earlier today, the 'Cancel Items' button was available.

I have just had a look at the order now and the 'Cancel Items' is now greyed out.

That means the items are in the picking / shipping process and therefore can't be cancelled anymore.

Hopefully it will arrive early next week, a nice surprise from Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nblavoie View Post

I'm from Canada and my credit card was charged this morning. Shipping by May 28th.

What model did you order? 3G or WiFi?

I have ordered a 64Gig 3G from Canada & mine has not shipped yet

I ordered within 15 minutes of the store going live. I just hope it does not go past the 28th. I'm tired of waiting.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    techfantechfan Posts: 14member
    Here in San Antonio, I decided to get a 64GB iPad (Wi-Fi) and then the next day I had one in my hand. I was very lucky.