AT&T to increase iPhone contract early termination fee to $325

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Starting June 1, new AT&T iPhone customers who wish to cancel their contract with the wireless carrier will need to pay a $325 early termination fee, up from the existing $175 cost.

The new fee will apply to all smartphones, including Apple's iPhone, as well as connected netbooks. For feature and messaging phones, the fees will drop to $150, according to Dow Jones Newswires.

Though there has been speculation that AT&T could lose exclusivity of Apple's iPhone over the next year, an AT&T spokesperson reportedly said that the increase in the ETF to $325 was not related to one specific device.

"The changes come amid increased regulatory scrutiny and class-action lawsuits over the issue," the report said. "The Federal Communications Commission has expressed concern that onerous fees make it difficult for consumers to switch their service. Wireless carriers argue the fees are necessary to recoup the costs incurred by the subsidies they provide to lower the initial cost of the handset."

The change follows a previous move by competitor Verizon, which began charging a $350 ETF for smartphone users. Google and T-Mobile also charged a combined $550 fee for those who canceled their contract on the Nexus One. Both of those recent developments have brought ETFs under scrutiny from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission.

AT&T and Apple offer the iPhone at a subsidized rate, starting at $99 for the iPhone 3G, with a two-year contract for the device. Starting in March, Apple began selling contract-free iPhones at a much higher price, as it has done in previous years, to help clear out inventory before the launch of new hardware.

In addition to recouping lost money from a canceled contract, ETFs are also designed to deter customers from jumping to another network. The timing of the ETF increase will undoubtedly result in speculation about the potential of the iPhone becoming available on a carrier other than AT&T.

Apple is expected to introduce its next-generation iPhone when it kicks off the annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco on June 7.

Rumors of a Verizon iPhone have been persistent since March, when The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple is working on two new iPhones, including a CDMA-capable model that would be compatible with Verizon's network. That report alleged that CDMA iPhones would not go into mass production until September.

When he was asked this week about the prospect of the iPhone on other carriers, Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO of AT&T's Mobility and Consumer Markets division, said he isn't concerned. He said his company's family talk and business discount plans do a good job of retaining customers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 136
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Rogers did the same thing in Canada last year by doubling their ECF fees ($400 ECF for voice and $200 for data). A couple months later Apple announced Bell and Telus got the iPhone (and then Virgin). Likely Rogers got a heads up from Apple and decided more expensive termination fees would help prevent a flood to bell. AT&T has got to be just as concerned. Rogers was in an even worse spot though, since customers that unlocked the iPhones could just move over to the new carriers (I think) whereas AT&T customers would have to buy a new Verizon phone. The increase fee just makes it even more expensive to switch.
  • Reply 2 of 136
    bjojadebjojade Posts: 91member
    If the ETFs are required for the company to recoup subsidy costs of your phone, then why does the cost of your contract not decrease after two years? Or if you buy an unsubsidized phone, why do you still need to pay that rate? And why can't I buy an unsubsidized iPhone and get a month to month contract with AT&T? Oh, yeah, that's just MORE profit for them then.
  • Reply 3 of 136
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    . . .we like our 3GS phones and AT&T service.
  • Reply 4 of 136
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Rogers did the same thing in Canada last year by doubling their ECF fees ($400 ECF for voice and $200 for data). A couple months later Apple announced Bell and Telus got the iPhone (and then Virgin). Likely Rogers got a heads up from Apple and decided more expensive termination fees would help prevent a flood to bell. AT&T has got to be just as concerned. Rogers was in an even worse spot though, since customers that unlocked the iPhones could just move over to the new carriers (I think) whereas AT&T customers would have to buy a new Verizon phone. The increase fee just makes it even more expensive to switch.

You don't need to quote the whole flipping article -- it's right there in the first post.

That being said, I think this is another indication that Verizon is getting the iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 136
    xstaticaxstatica Posts: 41member
    If AT&T changes their TOS and I don't agree with it I assume I will be able to cancel out of the contract. I know a friend who had a phone with another wireless carrier who did just that. Because of the change he was able to cancel the contract without a fee where normally he would have had a fee.
  • Reply 6 of 136
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    That being said, I think this is another indication that Verizon is getting the iPhone.[/QUOTE]

I AGREE.

This could be a sign that Verizon iPhone is on the horizon...
  • Reply 7 of 136
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    AT&T is on the right track to get and keep customers.
  • Reply 8 of 136
    flthereflthere Posts: 9member
    I read yesterday in the news wherein FCC was saying that there is not much competition in wireless industry in USA. To prove that it's wrong, AT&T decided to get competitive with Verizon and raised the ETF LOL
  • Reply 9 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You don't need to quote the whole flipping article -- it's right there in the first post.

That being said, I think this is another indication that Verizon is getting the iPhone.

Sorry, my mistake. Corrected. I get used to hitting 'reply' instead of 'post reply'.
  • Reply 10 of 136
    AT&T open letter

Funny, customer that buy feature phones (and presumably have cheaper plans) get their ECF reduced. Customers with smart phones (and higher bills) get their ECF doubled.

So, if you are low revenue, we will make it easier for you to leave. If you are a better customer and pay us more, we are going to make it pain in your ass to leave.

nice.
  • Reply 11 of 136
    This sure seems like an indication that the exclusivity is done next month, and that the iPhone might be on Verizon and others. After paying AT&T over 100 bucks a month for the last year, they sure better have recouped their investment on my 3GS by now and still had enough money to support my measly little service costs to them.

AT&T are beginning to look more and more evil every day. (as if we didn't already know they were)

On a semi-unrelated note, I'm betting that *if* Verizon or other carriers do get the iPhone this year, it'll be a "announce in june ship in a few months" type thing. OTher than occasional rumor here and there I haven't seen too much hard evidence - like a prototype leak or some taiwanese employee video - showing off anything but a GSM phone... which indicated to me that IF there is to be alternate iPhones on any carrier other than T-mobile, they wont come out until probably Holiday quarter. No FCC leaks. No production ramps, and therefore no manufacturer leaks, nothing.
  • Reply 12 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

If the ETFs are required for the company to recoup subsidy costs of your phone, then why does the cost of your contract not decrease after two years? Or if you buy an unsubsidized phone, why do you still need to pay that rate? And why can't I buy an unsubsidized iPhone and get a month to month contract with AT&T? Oh, yeah, that's just MORE profit for them then.

..and why aren't phones automatically unlocked after the contract expires. You have paid off your commitment to them. You own the phone. But are required to continue to pay them to use it.
  • Reply 13 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OhReallyNow View Post

This sure seems like an indication that the exclusivity is done next month, and that the iPhone might be on Verizon and others. After paying AT&T over 100 bucks a month for the last year, they sure better have recouped their investment on my 3GS by now and still had enough money to support my measly little service costs to them.

AT&T are beginning to look more and more evil every day. (as if we didn't already know they were)

On a semi-unrelated note, I'm betting that *if* Verizon or other carriers do get the iPhone this year, it'll be a "announce in june ship in a few months" type thing. OTher than occasional rumor here and there I haven't seen too much hard evidence - like a prototype leak or some taiwanese employee video - showing off anything but a GSM phone... which indicated to me that IF there is to be alternate iPhones on any carrier other than T-mobile, they wont come out until probably Holiday quarter. No FCC leaks. No production ramps, and therefore no manufacturer leaks, nothing.

I think you are right that it won't launch immediately with Verizon. If so, then this announcement wouldn't help AT&T, since they say existing customers won't have their fees doubled. But if AT&T knew verizon wasn't getting it for a few months more, then this would help lock in any new customers/contracts that sign up for the 4G.
  • Reply 14 of 136
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The article clearly says this only goes into effect for new contracts after June 1. It does effect anyone under a current contract.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post

If AT&T changes their TOS and I don't agree with it I assume I will be able to cancel out of the contract.

• Reply 15 of 136
    This is proof of three things: (1) Verizon will get the new iPhone. (2) AT&T is afraid of the Verizon iPhone. (3) AT&T is truly evil. Almost as evil as Google and Microsoft combined. I mean, almost doubling the termination fee because people will want to switch to a phone carrier that works?
  • Reply 16 of 136
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Been on the fence about dumping ATT and now that Android is a viable option this helped me make up my mind. When my contract's up ATT is history. Hello to Verizon.
  • Reply 17 of 136
    And there goes my plan to use an iPad SIM in my v.4 iPhone...

I bet that AT&T knew about this possibility as well.

iPad SIM for $30/month without contract = unlimited VoIP, unlimited SMS with GV, and unlimited data (obviously).

It still makes sense to go the iPad route financially, but it's probably not worth the hassle anymore.
  • Reply 18 of 136
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

There's nothing wrong with profit but this is a thumb in the eye of customers already irritated with ATT - like me!
  • Reply 19 of 136
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Not necessarily. It does mean AT&T is soon to get a new iPhone.

If VZW can get away with higher ETF for smartphones with no phone that is nearly as popular ad the iPhone. There is little reason AT&T could not follow suit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

• Reply 20 of 136
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I don't see anything wrong here. AT&T's offering a pretty large discount here.