AT&T to increase iPhone contract early termination fee to $325

Comments

• Reply 21 of 136
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

. . .we like our 3GS phones and AT&T service.

Until your contract expires and you're looking to upgrade to that shiny new 4th generation iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 136
    jonsarikjonsarik Posts: 2member
    We as a nation should never have let Cingular and AT&T merge, or let VZ buy Alltel. This is what a lack of competition does. Sprint is the only other real competitor, but who's to say they won't follow suit. T-Mobile? Please, that company doesn't even register on the radar of VZW or ATT, or companies looking to do business with wireless companies here in the States.
  • Reply 23 of 136
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    As others have said, this is really a non-issue.

1. Verizon is already at this price level

2. AT&T (dunno about V) has a pro-rated ETF so it goes down by what $13 a month on a 2 year contract?

3. This is also pretty normal ETF for other counties too.

Meh... nothing to see here... and don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to dog-pile on AT&T or Verizon for just about any 'abusive issue' but this just isn't one of them.
  • Reply 24 of 136
    bsbbbsbb Posts: 3member
    Apple needs to provide an unlocked iPhone as an option. Unfortunately, with these kinds of termination fees I'm seriously considering moving to an unlocked android phone.
  • Reply 25 of 136
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

That's because we have a Congress controlled by Democrats, and for the most part are cowards that don't have the guts to pass legislation requireing the ETF to reduce over the length of the contract.

Prorated ETFs for AT&T went US wide in 2008 and if I'm not mistaken was always the case for those of us who live in NJ.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-c...&t=solutionTab

Oh and while I'm a card carrying fiscal conservative lets not start in with Dem vs. Rep comments... After all it was a Democrat in the presidency when the Antitrust case was opened against Microsoft... but thats really not the point.. at this point in time we all know that the party doesn't really matter all that much any more, its the well funded lobbyists who run DC now-a-days. The only thing that changes is who the checks are written out to.

Cynical?!!? Me?!?! No way!
  • Reply 26 of 136
    bsbbbsbb Posts: 3member
    Unfortunately, the FCC has allowed the business conditions to arise where there is no real competition among carriers. T-Mobile is no real competition to AT&T. Yes, you can switch to one of the CDMA carriers, but you can't take your phone with you. It's time the FCC fosters some real competition in the cell phone service market.
  • Reply 27 of 136
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    Someone is worried that people may switch from the iPhone on AT&T to something else...

Besides that, we all know these phones are heavily subsidized. You can't just go about giving away money to people who are taking their business elsewhere.
  • Reply 28 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

2. AT&T (dunno about V) has a pro-rated ETF so it goes down by what $13 a month on a 2 year contract?

Verizon prorates their ETF. Though they start a bit higher at $350.
  • Reply 29 of 136
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The article clearly says this only goes into effect for new contracts after June 1. It does not effect anyone under a current contract.

It is worth making your observation larger. Not that anyone, with a few exceptions here, will understand it.
  • Reply 30 of 136
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

This is proof of three things: (1) Verizon will get the new iPhone. (2) AT&T is afraid of the Verizon iPhone. (3) AT&T is truly evil. Almost as evil as Google and Microsoft combined. I mean, almost doubling the termination fee because people will want to switch to a phone carrier that works?

It is possible that the increase of the ETF might indicate a loss of exclusivity, although AT&T is increasing this for all smartphones, not just Apple's handset.

I still don't think that Verizon is getting the iPhone so soon because of two major reasons: A.) there has been no hiring frenzy of CDMA engineers by Apple, and B.) Verizon's executives have been too chatty about the iPhone (and there are far too many dumb rumors). Normally, Apple's business partners clam up real tight when there's a deal in the works.

If Apple drops carrier exclusivity here in the United States, the most likely step would be to add T-Mobile USA. It's worth pointing out that T-Mobile has been rather quiet about the iPhone as of late.
  • Reply 31 of 136
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    If your contract is up, but you don't want to get a new contract, just keep paying your monthly bill, and don't worry about signing a new contract.

I've been doing this for years without any problems.

YES, they will tell you, that you need to have a contract, but they never shut me off? I've gone as much as 18 months without a contract without any problems or issues.

Skip
  • Reply 32 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Starting June 1, new AT&T iPhone customers who wish to cancel their contract with the wireless carrier will need to pay a $325 early termination fee, up from the existing $175 cost.

Curious to see if this means the iPhone is going to Verizon and AT&T is trying to keep folks from jumping ship without paying for it in a major way.

If VZ does get it not sure if I'll switch - party depends if they by some way they can allow calling and internet/email use at the same time, but mostly the coverage in the Bay Area.
  • Reply 33 of 136
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post

If AT&T changes their TOS and I don't agree with it I assume I will be able to cancel out of the contract.

You realize that anyone currently on contract doesn't get the new rates right? However if you get the new iPhone or another smartphone, you will get the new charges since you sign a new contract.
  • Reply 34 of 136
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

Or if you buy an unsubsidized phone, why do you still need to pay that rate?

Are you asking if you pay full price will you still have an ETF? If so, the answer is no. You may be on that two year contract, but the ETF doesn't apply since you paid full price. Month to month would be nice however...
  • Reply 35 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

If your contract is up, but you don't want to get a new contract, just keep paying your monthly bill, and don't worry about signing a new contract.

YES, they will tell you, that you need to have a contract, but they never shut me off? I've gone as much as 18 months without a contract without any problems or issues.

Skip

Works fine if you have no issues using the same device. Once you look to get that new one, that's where they get you.
  • Reply 36 of 136
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Skip

1. contract prices are high to payback subsidies, this makes sense.

2. when your contract is over, you still have to pay the same price, that's makes no sense.

3. charging ETF for the iphone to get the subsidy back if you leave early, that makes sense

4. refusing to unlock your iphone after your contract is over, that should be illegal.

i dont mind current plan costs and ETF if they were to be implemented fairly. The right thing to do is provide non contract prices and iphone unlocks after your contract ends.

then there's also the SMS cost issue. they charge for sending and receiving? same with minutes on your plan, they charge minutes for making calls and receiving? that outrageous, they should only charge the person sending SMS or making a phone call. I visited a third world country where politicians are corrupt, and yet they're cell phone service charged sms and minutes only to the person sending sms or making calls.
  • Reply 37 of 136
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Bravo AI!

It's all smartphones, not just the iPhone.

More important, it's $25 less than Verizon's $350 early termination fee.
  • Reply 38 of 136
    Worthless greedy pigs! They know Verizon is coming and they want to soak you for bailing out come this fall.
  • Reply 39 of 136
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post

Been on the fence about dumping ATT and now that Android is a viable option this helped me make up my mind. When my contract's up ATT is history. Hello to Verizon.

Right, this makes sense ???? - Because AT&T raised their ETF to $325 your going to jump to a carrier whose ETF is $350. Your the kind of customer that Verison likes - unaware.
  • Reply 40 of 136
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Spot on!!!!!!

somebody call?

Fsck AT&T,

GET MONEY!!! SETTLEMENT, AT&T PAYS YOU!

http://attmetfsettlement.com/