Which would you choose 15MBP or imac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have decided to stay with my ipad order for it's portability for travel (no need for anything special, just check e-mails etc)

However I still will replace my older macbook to have a home base computer. If you were to choose, would you go for a base imac to care for all the ipad can not do (some work related matters that I use iwork for, photo edit etc) or maybe spend more for a base 15 MBP which can in a pinch be portable when I at times am out of the country for a stint ( I don't mind caring the extra weight).

Either way I will wait a bit to see if there are imac updates forthcoming.

Please feel free to provide all your infinite wisdom

no idea is not worth hearing

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    You mentioned you need a Mac for portability, then the MBP.

If your one that turns a laptop into a desktop with all sorts of stuff attached, the you should get the iMac or get the MBP and a Mac Mini.

I wouldn't have wasted my money on a iPad if one has portable computer needs, least the MBP has a built in monitor stand and keyboard.

Do get the anti-glare option, it's a much nicer resolution screen and it can be used nearly anywhere with a crisp clean image and no reflections.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I would go with the 27" iMac, if only because of In Plane Switching screen, much larger screen for the same money, much better processors, and GPUs that suck less than the underclocked Geforce 330M. The value for money is highest in the iMac range.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    iMac + iPad= winner!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wohboyzwohboyz Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

You mentioned you need a Mac for portability, then the MBP.

If your one that turns a laptop into a desktop with all sorts of stuff attached, the you should get the iMac or get the MBP and a Mac Mini.

I wouldn't have wasted my money on a iPad if one has portable computer needs, least the MBP has a built in monitor stand and keyboard.

Do get the anti-glare option, it's a much nicer resolution screen and it can be used nearly anywhere with a crisp clean image and no reflections.

Money is not gone yet ( still time to cancel)

Other option I've mulled over was to go for 13 MBP instead of Ipad and wait later for imac after update(?); in the back of my mind I worry about it still being old technology whether it is valid for my situation or not.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wohboyz View Post

no idea is not worth hearing

Yeah, you're definitely new here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wohboyz View Post

Other option I've mulled over was to go for 13 MBP instead of Ipad and wait later for imac after update(?); in the back of my mind I worry about it still being old technology whether it is valid for my situation or not.

I think the 13" would be a good choice. It's very portable when you need it, powerful enough to handle all the software you use. You'd just get a large external screen.

It is still Core 2 Duo but those chips are still ok and the 13" won't switch to Core i chips anytime soon so the value will still hold.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah, you're definitely new here.

I think the 13" would be a good choice. It's very portable when you need it, powerful enough to handle all the software you use. You'd just get a large external screen.

It is still Core 2 Duo but those chips are still ok and the 13" won't switch to Core i chips anytime soon so the value will still hold.

Sure am...and proud of it. You have to start sometime.

Like most you want to make sure your pennies count.

That is where I feel in the back of my mind I would be going (13MBP) and is probably the best choice.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Yea the 13" fits your needs perfectly. The only thing I would suggest you think about is whether or not you want the 3G plan that the iPad has. If you were only thinking of the Wi-Fi version then you should definitely just go for the 13" Macbook and get the refreshed iMac whenever it comes out and you have the dough
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I would get a 13MBP for mobility and an external display to make it a 'desktop machine' when you're home.

I think the iPad is the future, and I will most certainly get one. But not this year. I'll wait for the iPad 2.0 or 3.0 (assuming it will have a much faster processor, 300GB or more storage, 8GB RAM, either HTML5 or Flash, and capable of driving a large external display, so that it (plus an external display) can really replace my 17MBP and my iMacs (20" and 24").
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LifeIsLaughter View Post

Yea the 13" fits your needs perfectly. The only thing I would suggest you think about is whether or not you want the 3G plan that the iPad has. If you were only thinking of the Wi-Fi version then you should definitely just go for the 13" Macbook and get the refreshed iMac whenever it comes out and you have the dough

The Ipad I ordered is the 3g model . The downside for travel is no way to use alternate sources to transfer info such as attaching an external hardrive or memory stick etc from what I can see; which I will be able to do with the 13 MBP.

If the Ipad does develop as mentioned by Rokcet Scientist that certainly changes the playing field;and thus it does make more sense to hold off on an Ipad
  • Reply 10 of 10
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    No disrespect to Marvins suggestion here, but in my opinion the 13" MacBook Pro is just a cheaper version of the real thing, being a 15" MacBook Pro. If you are considering that, might as well trade down again and get the 13" MacBook for $999 or a refurbished one for $759 it's nearly the same machine basically or else it will feel like that staring into the 13" screen.

Also no anti-glare option on the 13".

The 15" with a 7,200 RPM (5400 if your prefer better battery life), enough RAM, and a large hard drive will last you years longer with regular use and software upgrades than a 13" in my opinion. Plus the 13" screen is tiny, 15" is perfect. 17" is a monster.

Iv'e upgraded my MBP's hard drive myself twice over the 6 years I've had it and it's still going strong. I can run 5 operating systems at once (slowly) I only need two going at once really. The longer you hold the machine the less paid software upgrades you have to do as well. So it's wise to get the most performance up front and make the machine last to reduce your per year computer costs.

Remember to figure in AppleCare and taxes in you choice or order on line from a retailer with no physical presence in your State, thus no taxes.

With no taxes you can spring for the 15" with anti-glare easy.

And the iPad is a rich boy tech gimmick, don't fall for it if your trying to get the most bang for your buck, it's severely limited and dependent upon a Mac or PC for it's updates, loading and offloading of content with it's low storage capability.