Google compares Apple to 'Big Brother' from iconic 1984 ad

Comments

• Reply 241 of 431
    asherianasherian Posts: 144member
    Look: I don't have time to look it up, I tried googling it but there's no number easy to find.

I'll retract the claim because I'm not going to support it because I have better things to do.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you care so much about this -- you keep fixating on something as trivial as how many carriers carry each brand of phone. It's a minor point, it doesn't even matter. But you can't refute anything else being said, so when someone says something you don't like you latch on to anything you possibly can to nitpick on then basically call the person names. It's sad, dude.
  • Reply 242 of 431
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

Look: I don't have time to look it up, I tried googling it but there's no number easy to find.

I'll retract the claim because I'm not going to support it because I have better things to do.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you care so much about this -- you keep fixating on something as trivial as how many carriers carry each brand of phone. It's a minor point, it doesn't even matter. But you can't refute anything else being said, so when someone says something you don't like you latch on to anything you possibly can to nitpick on then basically call the person names. It's sad, dude.

If it's such a trivial issue, why are you here promoting Google?
  • Reply 243 of 431
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Wasn't Apple betrayed before?

Best line of the article:

"If you believe in openness, if you believe in choice, if you believe in innovation from everyone, then welcome to Android"

Whoa! That quote sounds just like Ballmer when he talked about Microsoft Playz for Sure's choice vs Apple. Google even uses the word innovation in a way that it means nothing.

\
  • Reply 244 of 431
    asherianasherian Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If it's such a trivial issue, why are you here promoting Google?

I'm not promoting Google, I'm talking about the realities of the market. Android is hot right now, that's how it is.

Just because it's not rah-rah-Apple doesn't mean it's promoting Google. I don't care who "wins", I'm happy with competition. As I said, I regularly use both my iPhone 3GS and Nexus One. I didn't even buy the N1, I got it for free...I bought the iPhone. I use a PC at work and a MacBook Pro at home. I've no allegiances, I just don't care.

These companies don't do anything for me. I use what I like, period.

Edit: But Google does give out better swag at conferences. I get phones each time I go to Google conferences...Apple gives me CDs of trial software. And Apple does reject apps for stupid reasons, which doesn't endear them to my heart much these days. My company's app was rejected after a 3 week wait because we implemented a VOIP system in a feature so people could connect with businesses without paying long distance. They forced us to remove it. Our Android version has that feature.
  • Reply 245 of 431
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Edit: But Google does give out better swag at conferences. I get phones each time I go to Google conferences...Apple gives me CDs of trial software.

Just have to say that that was quite the reaction when Vic said that everyone in that room would be getting an HTC EVO just for being there.

5,000 free HTC EVOs... If there's a shortage on release day, you know where all that stock went.
  • Reply 246 of 431
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Or a GoOgle TV?

I know what it's *supposed* to be. See the quoted line...
  • Reply 247 of 431
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sure, but, if you were a content provider, would you wait to see if you are right, shut out from all those eyeballs while you do, for who knows how long, maybe forever? Or would you just say, "screw it, make us a site that doesn't use Flash, now!" That's why I'm confident that I'm correct.

It's just not that simple at all.

no, we'll likely do what we've always done. Create content that has the ability to use multiple ways of delivery. I'm still doing it! That's the beauty of H.264. Something many people conveniently forget, that it allows 'choice'. There things flash video can do which is significant, which html5 -cannot-. Same for other things. html5 cannot despite the bleating of the know-it-alls who know what they read on some blog, do all what flash can. It never will.

I see no drop in demand, and neither are any of the agencies I know of either. As I said, things will change. What will be significant, is what adobe's success (or not) in delivering a good player.

Also, don't discount the fact that flash is always morphing. That AS language has become -aaaaawefully- close to javascript lately... and there's much movement on running flash content -natively without, a plugin... adobe makes nothing off their player, they make $$ on the ide...
  • Reply 248 of 431
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:

How could anyone say this with a straight face?

Android's marketshare is up over 800% year over year, iPhone up 112%. Extrapolate.

Android is already outselling iPhones in the US and is on pace to pass worldwide this year. Android is on a meteoric growth curve right now, growing far faster than iPhone is. And there's no reason to believe that won't continue with how many carriers, how many hardware makers they support. They're activating 100,000 Androids every day right now, and 12,000 apps were added to the Android Market in the past month alone. It's catching up very, very fast.

It really is Mac vs PC from the 80s all over again. That's not to say PC is better than Mac, but far more people will use PCs than Mac. Apple simply can't monopolize the entire market with their couple iPhone models.

800% of 30%, whoops.

800% of 1%, okay.

The numbers you post are meaningless.
  • Reply 249 of 431
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

I know what it's *supposed* to be. See the quoted line...

I didn't mean to offend.

"GoOgle TV" -> "Go-Ogle TV", as in Big Brother is ogling you.
  • Reply 250 of 431
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Safari/Mac: no. Third party add-on required (such as Glims) or probably a Terminal command.

I find that unacceptable.
  • Reply 251 of 431
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Just have to say that that was quite the reaction when Vic said that everyone in that room would be getting an HTC EVO just for being there.

5,000 free HTC EVOs... If there's a shortage on release day, you know where all that stock went.

Yeah, and those EVOs will be counted as part of Android's "sales," just like all the other freebies that pump up their sales figures.
  • Reply 252 of 431
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

If you honestly think Apple is solely after maximum profit and not after what they personally believe is the best product you can buy.. then why wouldn't they just make 2 or 3 versions of the iPhone to try and please every one?

Because they believe that given all relevant factors, their strategy will yield the greatest total profit.

If they thought that 2 or 3 versions would produce higher total profits, all other factors considered, they would do it in a heartbeat.

If they did anything else, they would face lawsuits from the stockholders.

Apple has one goal and one goal only: to maximize total profits. Everything else is just a means to that goal. This is true of every publicly held company.
  • Reply 253 of 431
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, and those EVOs will be counted as part of Android's "sales," just like all the other freebies that pump up their sales figures.

what about the free iphones, they aren't counted?
  • Reply 254 of 431
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

what about the free iphones, they aren't counted?

Where do you get free iPhones ??? (Just curious)
  • Reply 255 of 431
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

No idea, but it'll be a greater number.

Android is on 59 carriers. How many is iPhone on?

Take a look:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937

(Hint: more than that just in Europe)
  • Reply 256 of 431
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Because they believe that given all relevant factors, their strategy will yield the greatest total profit.

If they thought that 2 or 3 versions would produce higher total profits, all other factors considered, they would do it in a heartbeat.

If they did anything else, they would face lawsuits from the stockholders.

Apple has one goal and one goal only: to maximize total profits. Everything else is just a means to that goal. This is true of every publicly held company.

There is an interview where SJ is asked why on earth they entered the phone business, and his answer was clear: because they hated the hard/soft-ware available and that they build the iPhone to be able to use it themselves.

Please don't get me wrong, I know apple is a business and that they want to make money, but whenever you use a product with the famous Apple on it, or software developed by them, you can feel that it is made with passion/commitment and thought through. (OK, there are some exceptions ...)
  • Reply 257 of 431
    gas_pig70gas_pig70 Posts: 37member
    I totally support choices though after fiddling with my wife's Android phone my choice is definitely still an iPhone/iPod. I hope Android does great though and keeps Apple on it's toes (for my sake). My fear is that someday Google will start closing down and prevent iPhone & iPad access to their services like RSS synching.
  • Reply 258 of 431
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    The difference is that in 1984 IBM was making this.

That future was pretty bleak.

I mean, you can't turn this around on Apple, considering their shit rocks, and IBM's, well, didn't.
  • Reply 259 of 431
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSF View Post

Don't count them out just yet.

Sorry your wrong. They're down for the count. It's over.
  • Reply 260 of 431
    kay_bobokay_bobo Posts: 13member
    so true about people choosing the iphone...i like the fact that i can make a call to ONE number and get hardware and software support....i dont find that a "closed" system but an "easy/convenient" system...just like cable companys asking you to bundle up!