Bronze breast offends higher ups.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yet another one of my editorial findings:

[quote] In the great hallway of the Department of Justice, where many news conferences are held, is a 12-foot statue that represents the spirit of justice.

The statue, made of bronze, depicts a female with arms outstretched wearing a toga, but a single breast is exposed. Do not expect to see it however, because Attorney General John Ashcroft has ordered drapes, which cost $8,000, to cover it while he gives press conferences.

This amounts to a waste of taxpayer dollars. Ashcroft, who is well known for his ultra-conservative views, was reported to be uncomfortable standing in front of the partially exposed statue. Prior to the drapes being purchased, they were rented for $2,000 every time there was an event or a press conference. This statue was installed in the Department of Justice building in the 1930s when construction was completed. It, along with its companion, a male statue with its midsection covered called the majesty of law, are considered to be classic examples of Art-Deco sculpture.

It stands to reason that if the statue was so offending Ashcroft could have found another place to hold his press conferences. This sort of prudish behavior at taxpayers expense should be an insult to every adult who is capable of making his or her own decisions on what is obscene and what is not. The Justice Department and Ashcroft really should have better things to do right now than worry about being photographed in front of a tastefully exposed breast.

If Ashcroft is so worried about obscenity perhaps he should turn his attention to how our civil liberties are being threatened and the obscenities being inflicted on our legal system through the new USA Patriot act.

These are issues that are worth his time. The taxpayers and citizens of this country would be better served by this rather than concealing a bronze breast that makes him blush.<hr></blockquote>

Exactly like the people that go around putting CLOTHING on naked paintings because it offends them to see nude pictures (i.e. - renaissance paintings). You don't like it? Go AWAY.

Mac Guru

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    [quote]It stands to reason that if the statue was so offending Ashcroft could have found another place to hold his press conferences. This sort of prudish behavior at taxpayers expense should be an insult to every adult who is capable of making his or her own decisions on what is obscene and what is not. The Justice Department and Ashcroft really should have better things to do right now than worry about being photographed in front of a tastefully exposed breast.<hr></blockquote>

Amen.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    just found? this is old news. 2 weeks ago old

oh well. ashcroft looked like a fool after this.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I didn't say it was NEW news... just bored at work and posting stuff that interests me.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 4 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Um, maybe you could give credit to the author and paper you got that from?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Ashcroft actually performs his own annointing ceremonies with olive oil whenever he gets some position he thinks have been graced unto him by God's favor. The guy is a total loon.

That and a hypocrit. I once heard this speech he gave at Bob Jone's U where he invoked the "I have no king but Jesus" stuff as validation for resisting an "unholy" government. Then he went on to be Attn. General where he swore to uphold laws protecting abortion. Change of heart or thirst for power? I'd guess the latter.

Anyway, Mac Guru can you tell me where you got that qoute for your sig line?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong></strong><hr></blockquote>

"Uh...that breast is really this big when you get close to it..."

Jeez, fight terrorism and keep your damn opinions to yourself Ashcroft.

By the way, the statue is aluminum.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    "Mommy, why does Jesus have a boobie?"

------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    Why is everyone soo scared of boobies?

Americans (I being one of them) are so pent up and repressed that they cant help but stare at boobies when they see them...

This is what's causing so much trouble...

------------------------------------

E PLURIBUS UNIX

• Reply 10 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by FERRO:

<strong>Why is everyone soo scared of boobies?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Republicans ph33r the boobies' power.

The boobies are evil. Eeeeeviiiill!!!!

• Reply 11 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:

<strong>By the way, the statue is aluminum.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I much prefer the feel of the bronze breasts to these modern aluminum ones.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    I think we need more tits in our public discourse.