Which would win... Deep Blue or Apple's Chess?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'd love to see a 1998 supercomputer (which year was it? 1997?) against a modern consumer computer (Apple's Dual 1 GHz) in a duel to the death, six games of Chess.

Each entity to be given 30 seconds to consider each move.

Everyone allowed to watch on an Apple stream like we watch Stevenotes on.

And Kasparov is the judge! Nevermind, he didn't want to play at the endof his own defeat, why would he want to watch TWO computers better than him?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    ya know who'd win? DA BEARS
  • Reply 2 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Jeez, considering how tough Apple's Chess is even at beginner level, I imagine it would give Deep Blue a good challenge at least. I'm beginning to think it *is* Mini-Blue.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    I don't think I am a slouch but it is damn hard.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I am sorry to say that, but even a dual GHZ apple chess have not any chance against deep blue.

deep blue was specifically made for this purpose, and the software is far much more sophistacated. an another point, deep blue was specifically program against Kasparov, in order to destabilize him.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Last night I met a stripper named Deep Blue.

She didn't know how to play chess.

Checkmate.

------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 6 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by RosettaStoned:

<strong>Last night I met a stripper named Deep Blue.

She didn't know how to play chess.

Checkmate.

------------

RosettaStoned</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes but i am sure that she know how to play others games ..;

• Reply 7 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    <a href="http://www.theonion.com/onion3013/chess.html"; target="_blank">Well, that settles that!</a>

• Reply 8 of 15
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Yeah, Apple Chess is a bitch, When I ran OSX, I played the game several hours every day for a few weeks, I never beat it once. One time I actually had it on the run, and was mate in 2, but the bastard thing crashed. I have not played it since
  • Reply 9 of 15
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong><a href="http://www.theonion.com/onion3013/chess.html"; target="_blank">Well, that settles that!</a>

</strong><hr></blockquote>

HAHA, gotta love the onion
  • Reply 10 of 15
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Technically they're both super computers. Anybody got any tech specs on Deep Blue? Could it pull the new G4's 15 gigaflops?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>Technically they're both super computers. Anybody got any tech specs on Deep Blue? Could it pull the new G4's 15 gigaflops?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have read only one specification about it : deep blue was able to evaluate 250 millions positions per second, and deep blue has 256 special processors (don't know their specifications).

I dont know how much calculation you need evaluate a position, and i dont know if chess program can be optimized for altivec.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]and i dont know if chess program can be optimized for altivec.<hr></blockquote>

Altivec = Vector Processing Accelleration

Chess = No Graphics Vectors (or very little)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    THAT'S NOT THE FRICKEN 6400 IN THAT ONION ARTICLE!

IT'S SHAMEFUL TO MISS SUCH DETAIL IN A PARODY.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    About Altivec, a vector is a vector. It doesn't matter what it's used for.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I just realized something... chess doesn't necessarily call for floating point operations. I don't know enough about coding to speculate o whether the G4's main strength would be useful here. Hmm.