Steve Jobs to kick off Apple's WWDC 2010 with June 7 keynote

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As expected, the first day of Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference will include a keynote from Steve Jobs, when it is believed the chief executive will introduce the fourth-generation iPhone.

Apple announced on Monday that Jobs will deliver the keynote on Monday, June 7 at 10 a.m. Pacific Time. WWDC 2010 runs from June 7 to June 11 at Moscone West in San Francisco, Calif. The five-day conference will include the first-ever iPad development sessions and hands-on working labs for iPhone OS 4, as well as Mac OS X core technology labs.

Apple said Monday that the event will focus on providing advanced content for skilled developers in five key technology tracks: Application Frameworks, Internet & Web, Graphics & Media, Developers Tools, and Core OS. Apple's engineers will deliver over 100 solutions-oriented technical sessions and labs, and the primary focus will be iPhone OS 4, suggesting an advanced preview of Mac OS X 10.7 may not be a part of the event.

Just 8 days after this year's WWDC was announced, it sold out. San Francisco's Moscone West center can only accommodate around 5,000 attendees. This year's ticket prices also increased from $1,259 to $1,599.

In years past, Apple has used the first day of WWDC to introduce a new iPhone model. Last year, WWDC 2009 ran June 8 through June 12, and included the introduction of the iPhone 3GS.

This year, a leaked prototype of the fourth-generation iPhone has shown the hardware will have a redesigned outer shell, and add new capabilities like a forward-facing camera for video chat, and camera flash to improve picture lighting.

With his keynote on June 7, Jobs will be busy at the start of the month. The Apple co-founder is scheduled to appear at the D: All Things Digital conference in New York less than a week earlier, on June 1. Jobs will kick off the annual conference hosted by The Wall Street Journal with an on-stage interview.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Can't wait to see how Steve will announce the iPhone. It is gonna be even more exciting then if we had not known what it looks like. Plus all the Steve-mails saying that Apple is gonna intro awesome stuff. Man I can't wait.

PS. I want Apple TV to challenge Google TV. It is time for the hobby to become an awesome, magical and revolutionary device.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Would be so funny if instead of reaching into his pocket, he reached under his stool to find it there...
  • Reply 3 of 40
    hotmarkbhotmarkb Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Can't wait to see how Steve will announce the iPhone. It is gonna be even more exciting then if we had not known what it looks like. Plus all the Steve-mails saying that Apple is gonna intro awesome stuff. Man I can't wait.

PS. I want Apple TV to challenge Google TV. It is time for the hobby to become an awesome, magical and revolutionary device.

I think SJ will have the new iPhone laying on a barstool before picking it up and introducing it
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Good to have confirmation.

I'm almost looking more forward to the way he announces it than what he announces.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Maybe they'll introduce an AppleTV with iPhone OS? So you would already know how to use it ...

Seriously, what is AppleTV running at the moment? Wouldn't iPhone OS be optimum? All the apps also on your TV, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I love my AppleTV, but it needs some software reworking, maybe iPhone OS running on it with the ability to stream your video content from your computers hard drive. Maybe include a QAM chip so you can plug your cable signal into it and make it your set top converter.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    I don't think Apple is too upset over the prototype leaks this time. I think they've served to whet the public's appetite for the new device which also helps open the door to the new functionality of OS 4.0. Wish I could have gone this year. Definitely going next year.

Comparing the iPhone to the Mac two decades ago and how the Mac faded under the onslaught of Windoze is asinine. Far more differences than similarities. Giving away Android phones to boost installed base stats is not sustainable. Apple will show us more reasons during WWDC why and how iPhone OS will prevail and continue to foster software development for phones, pods, and pads which will account for astounding sales statistics and result in widespread applications over a broad range of individual, corporate, and institutional activities.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    You can get better stock advice from the psychic hotline.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Maybe now Steve will have to find another way to amaze people since the leaks at Apple now rival the BP oil leak.

He could always go on Dancing With The Stars to try to beat Woz's performance...
  • Reply 10 of 40
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    Not only do I think there will in fact be a preview of Mac OSX 10.7, but I also believe there will be a major announcement about.. AppleTV! The new model will have an A4 chip, an HDMI out, and 1080p, 720p, and 1024x768 modes. Can you guess the rest? I'll have more on my blog soon.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    I hope Jobs introduces a new Mac Pro desktop. I've been waiting too long for the revised, 6 and 12-core model.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lepton View Post

Not only do I think there will in fact be a preview of Mac OSX 10.7, but I also believe there will be a major announcement about.. AppleTV! The new model will have an A4 chip, an HDMI out, and 1080p, 720p, and 1024x768 modes. Can you guess the rest? I'll have more on my blog soon.

Does the A4 have enough grunt to do 1080p?
  • Reply 13 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I guess everyone is expecting iPhone mk.IV. But since it is a developer's conference, and iPad is the new platform, it would be the logical central item.

iPhone video calls sure would be nice, if they have somehow got the carriers to agree to that much extra IP data! (I am assuming it is essentially iChat with a new GUI and potentially smaller default picture size).

Also according to "Macrumors Buyers Guide," it is now the longest time ever between Mac Pro updates. But Phil Schiller usually does the Mac Pro updates.

I hope Bertrand Serlet gets to do an OS X State of the Union speech this year. Next to Steve's keynotes, Bertrand's OS X talks are my favorite.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    It would be SOO funny if it turned out that prototype was just an iPod touch or something lol. And Steve was all, "ya THAT'S it!! worth the lawsuit dumbasses?"

:P
  • Reply 15 of 40
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    I always look forward to June!

Here's to looking for a typical Jobs-smack performance.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    chillinchillin Posts: 59member
    1st Gen:

iPhone1,1 : iPhone

iPhone1,2 : iPhone 3G (identical platform, +new radio +GPS)

2nd Gen:

iPhone2,1 : iPhone 3GS (new platform)

so what comes after 2? That's right, 3. The next iPhone, with the A4 chip, is Apple's THIRD hardware generation of iPhone. And it's not 4G either. It is a 3G phone.

Lesson over.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotmarkb View Post

i think sj will have the new iphone laying on a barstool before picking it up and introducing it

lol :/
  • Reply 18 of 40
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I guess everyone is expecting iPhone mk.IV. But since it is a developer's conference, and iPad is the new platform, it would be the logical central item.

So have you concluded that the mobile phone segment is irrelevant now? It is still just as important and necessary as ever. The iPad is a different target segment altogether even though they share the same OS.

I'm sure both will be discussed in detail at the conference.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    deleted Apple Insider server issues caused duplicate posting.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So have you concluded that the mobile phone segment is irrelevant now?

I don't know where you got that from. I was simply saying that at a teaching conference it would make sense to focus on that which people know the least about.