Nokia hopes to take on Apple in the US with new Yahoo partnership

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The two companies said they will "leverage each others' strengths in e-mail, instant messaging and maps and navigation services."

Yahoo maps runs in Flash. Maybe they are going to provide maps in another format like an App unless Nokia is going to support Flash.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I can not tell since Apple got into the music player and now mobile phone markets have we seen so many companies doing desperate things to compete.

Kind of like Western Union trying to compete when phones came available, yeah western union still exists today, but as well all know it is the favorite way for scam artist to rip people off by wiring money to people. Maybe Nokia will have a similar fate, We know Micro helps the scammer rip your personal identity, Nokia phones could probably help there too.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    Nokia and umm Yeah, Who?

How is Yahoo even still in existence? Oh, Right Microsoft is keeping them floating.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

Agreed mate, I mean who is Yahoo anyhow?

Yahoo is such a 90's thing..... I mean for me anyhow the companies products have no appeal, and I can not see them fitting into my digital life.

i was still using prodigy in the 90's
  • Reply 25 of 60
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    First. Nokia has to convince US carriers to accept Nokia products. It was in fact losing North American marketshare.

Second.
    As if Yahoo is the bastion of innovation these days, or the past decade.

Nokia would be better serve if it pays more attention to its operating system intended for the smartphone and creating the ecosystem akin to what Apple and Google have achieved with theirs.

Otherwise, Nokia has to content itself with its dominance in the "lowend" phones.

CGC
  • Reply 26 of 60
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    It just seems to me that Steve really has no peers amongst CEO's of any of the competing companies. What the hell is Yahoo going to lend Nokia to help them compete with Apple? Doesn't anyone get it? Apple has a whole ecosystem built around the iPhone which has resulted in its bottom line desirability. Do these other companies seriously expect to outdo Apple with anything not as comprehensive, much less better than what Apple has?

Sure countless mindless drones have been led down into the Windoze abyss, and perhaps someone will create a competing smartphone abyss for those same hordes to get further mired into. But on the other hand, a phone purchase is not like a computer purchase. It would seem like not nearly as many would be forced into buying a particular phone as might have been forced into buying a Windoze computer.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Ah please! Most folks don't know how to argue this point. I may not be able to so so wither but I'll try.

Nokia isn't the goto cell phone maker anymore. Some of your were like me and drooled over them Nokia phones back in the days(Sony Ericsson ones to). But now there are new players with awesome products like the iphone. I have the 3GS and there is no phone on the market, at least for me, that can touch it.

Now, that junk with Yahoo and Nokia is only to increase the stock price. Hopefully. For their sake and move more phones.

All that rhetoric is nothing but BY THE NUMBERS LIP SERVICE.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    ZZzzzz . . . .

NOW they'll revolutionize the industry.

• Reply 29 of 60
    Quote:

In hopes of increasing its smartphone presence in the U.S., Nokia on Monday announced a new "strategic alliance" with Yahoo, with the search company powering e-mail and instant messaging services for the Ovi platform.

..sounds more like "desperate alliance" to me..

Who else Nokia should seek for help to keep afloat in the competing smartphone market?

Google? Already got Android and HTC to back it up to fight Apple..

Microsoft? Yeah right, the software giant got its own plan to dominate everyone else..

Well, at least it's a whole different ball game for Nokia when it comes to 'dumbphone'..

Nokia is still the undisputed champion in this area of market.. *sign for Nokia-fans to cheer*
  • Reply 30 of 60
    bklynkidbklynkid Posts: 36member
    Two dinosaurs getting together...
  • Reply 31 of 60
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:

Apple CEO Steve Jobs even gave a surprise motivational speech to employees of Yahoo in 2007.

No good deed goes unpunished.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    This is why Nokia is not dominating in the US market. Yahoo has nice e-mail and news (stocks) properties, but other then that it is almost a non player in the smart phone market. I guess its a good fit for Nokia if they are looking for more content, but as far as technological help, there really won't be any.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    remember when yahoo had the best web portal and email service on the intertubes?

Y!eah, me neither.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    lol, this should be interesting, two companies that would not know innovation if it bit them in the rear. Should be interesting to see what these two irrelevant companies will come together and copy errr, I mean create.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

They won't.

(Referring to the headline 'Nokia hopes to take on Apple...'"

They stopped being relevant in about 1998, with that little chocolate bar phone everybody had.

And now they're teamed up with the juggernaut that is Yahoo!

Can't lose.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    What they really need to do is set up a single splinter team that reports directly to the two CEOs.

The splinter team does not care about business as usual, where Nokia and Yahoo came from, and they certainly don't care about hurting anyone's ego.

In summary, they pull no punches in saying what devices, units, websites and services are dead and what might work in terms of being ahead of the curve again.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Two losers forming the losers club, maybe they should ask Microsoft to join
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

It just seems to me that Steve really has no peers amongst CEO's of any of the competing companies. What the hell is Yahoo going to lend Nokia to help them compete with Apple? Doesn't anyone get it? Apple has a whole ecosystem built around the iPhone which has resulted in its bottom line desirability. Do these other companies seriously expect to outdo Apple with anything not as comprehensive, much less better than what Apple has?

Sure countless mindless drones have been led down into the Windoze abyss, and perhaps someone will create a competing smartphone abyss for those same hordes to get further mired into. But on the other hand, a phone purchase is not like a computer purchase. It would seem like not nearly as many would be forced into buying a particular phone as might have been forced into buying a Windoze computer.

they might have good lawyers...nokia might keep suing apple...
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

remember when yahoo had the best web portal and email service on the intertubes?

Y!eah, me neither.

yahoo mail is way better than gmail, in my opinion...i'm not a yahoo mail fan or anything...
  • Reply 40 of 60
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

I have to agree, most of these CEO have no clue all they are trying to do is manage a money stream and once it threaten they run around and do mergers and alliances to prop up the money stream again. If any of them had an original idea it would truly be amazing.

oh wait my iphone works with my computer, oh wait my iphone works with my stereo systems, oh wait my iphone works with my car, oh wait, my iphone works with..... Now explain why I would get rid of it or my ipods for something that barely works and does not work with all my other stuff.

They are not gong to beat Jobs at his own game, he has a strategy which he is still delivering on and I can tell you the next target is the cable business, once they figure out how to deliver people video content the way it easy to use and make sense the cable companies will fall next, the will be relegated to just providing you a wire to the internet.

Think about how many companies Apple have affective with all their technologies, usually on company affects another competitor, in this case apple has effected mp3 player manufactures, they affected the music industry, they affected Dell, they affected Microsoft, now they will affect Amazon and the print industry and the list goes on.